critter cmans 09/14/2014 10:33 PM CDT

This is why I get rather bent out of shape about critter maneuvers...

An elven robber leaps out of his hiding place!
[Roll result: 128 (open d100: 57)]
An elven robber swings the blunt end of his cudgel at your throat!
You grab your throat completely unable to speak!
>inc 616
The searing pain in your throat makes that impossible.
>
Your heightened awareness of your own vulnerabilities fades away.
>
A half-elven highwayman springs from the shadows and strikes at you!
[Roll result: 97 (open d100: 25)]
A half-elven highwayman delivers a blow to your head with his broadsword! It stings slightly, but is otherwise inconsequential.
>
The pain in your throat subsides.
>

Not only have I mastered the cunning defense, but I also wear Brig, and added an aventail on top of that.Plus I was not encumbered at all, and armor training

| Bonus Ranks Goals In-Game Time to Goal
Armor Use..........................| 144 44 44

more then enough for Brig.

Not only this but in a sanctioned cvc challenge I managed to get cut throat 3 times. with 4x brig that weighs 16lbs,plus an aventail, and full ranger spells including mobiles it should be much harder for anything to hit my neck.

I just find it hard to accept that with full brig, and a mithril aventail on top of that that any knife can cut through it, or a weapon manage to stun me and cause enough damage I cant cast... even if the pain subsided I took damage.
Re: critter cmans 09/14/2014 11:31 PM CDT

What is the rest of your training? Cman is only a part of it. PF and perception helps. Also dont put logic into armor. You could wear plate and still have the same issue.
Re: critter cmans 09/15/2014 12:41 AM CDT

stats or skills?
Re: critter cmans 09/15/2014 12:27 PM CDT

Skills
Re: critter cmans 09/16/2014 05:46 PM CDT

I am nut using any inhansives at the moment.

Armor Use..........................| 144 44 44
Combat Maneuvers...................| 200 100 100
Ranged Weapons.....................| 302 202 202
Brawling...........................| 152 52 52
Ambush.............................| 174 74 74
Physical Fitness...................| 204 104 104
Dodging............................| 184 84 84
Arcane Symbols.....................| 66 14 14
Magic Item Use.....................| 70 15 15
Harness Power......................| 201 101 101
Spirit Mana Control................| 105 25 25
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 151 51 51
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 150 50 50
Survival...........................| 189 89 89
Stalking and Hiding................| 200 100 100
Perception.........................| 280 180 180
Climbing...........................| 99 23 23
Swimming...........................| 122 31 31
First Aid..........................| 82 18 18
Trading............................| 5 1 1

Also I do use assume aspect quite a bit so related skills at times are boosted by 20 or more. I havnt checked the exact amount lately.

cmans;

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Shadow Mastery smastery 5
Dirtkick dirtkick 3
Sweep sweep 2
Cunning Defense cdefense 5

Available Combat Maneuver Training Points: 4
Re: critter cmans 09/16/2014 07:34 PM CDT

I would work on PF next. Its been quoted by nir that it is a major facotr in defense. I wish i could remember what forum and timeframe to search for it.
Re: critter cmans 09/16/2014 08:03 PM CDT

Yea I think droit also said major factor.. My fuss is more about wearing full brig, plus a metal aventail and still suffering neck attacks so easily. I would think in theory full coverage head to toe in hard leather, and metal over your neck would about eliminate that.

I sometimes wonder if the critter cmans are a little wonky with brig. It should offer hard leather protection to the full body, but Ive seen where someone with just leathers, and puts on a leather helmet and seems to get better head protection then brig.

the bandit rolled a 58,,,, and succeeded.

And then there is the age old complaint that WOT only seems to protect against garrote, and unless its changed it does not work against critter cmans.
Re: critter cmans 09/17/2014 12:39 AM CDT
I'm not trying to punch holes in your concern, because I share it.

I have hauberk, a hcp full helm (head and neck protection), and wall of thorns, 5 ranks in cunning defense and nearly 100 ranks in CMAN total, 100 ranks in PF, and I still get hit by that maneuver. Often.

I don't want to be immune, as I understand there needs to be a challenge. But I also am not sure what else I could do to lessen the threat. I guess when I hit 100 CM, I'll start putting extra TP's into PF.

I guess my point is, you are not alone. I almost exclusively hunt bandits anymore, due to RP circumstances, and my character is very very combat capable. I can't imagine what I would do if I were playing with one of my younger PC's... well, I guess I wouldn't hunt bandits, that's for sure, heh.

~ Bill, Coyote.
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
Re: critter cmans 09/17/2014 10:20 AM CDT
Just so you know, guys, PF doesn't help against CMANs, just critter maneuvers like roa'ter burrows and stuff. You're better off focusing on CM if CMAN defense is your goal. Mobility also helps against CMANs in a way that increases with ranger spell ranks, however there seems to be a hard cap on how much CM defense you can generate because as you approach 2x CM, your mobility bonus approaches 0.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: critter cmans 09/17/2014 04:46 PM CDT

>Just so you know, guys, PF doesn't help against CMANs, just critter maneuvers like roa'ter burrows and stuff. You're better off focusing on CM if CMAN defense is your goal. Mobility also helps against CMANs in a way that increases with ranger spell ranks, however there seems to be a hard cap on how much CM defense you can generate because as you approach 2x CM, your mobility bonus approaches 0.

I'm going to agree with Droit here, and chime in as another semi:

Good news: as you approach 2x cman, the effects of critter cmans diminishes.
More good news: you have spells that help you reach an effective 2x Cman ranks without actually having the full ranks.

Reality news: you're still going to get hit with cmans, even at 2x CMAN and full cdefense. Cutthroat is one I still get hit with, even at 2x cman, 2x PT (which I don't believe is a factor for cmans, only maneuver defense) 1x perception, and full plate.

Armor does help with some maneuvers, but I don't believe cutthroat is one of them.

Morden, player of.
Re: critter cmans 09/17/2014 06:56 PM CDT

Oh I agree we shouldnt be immune, and I do know there are skills I can beef up that would aid in secondary ways. I just get seriously annoyed that with full armor coverage and carrying the exta weight of an aventail, in full defense.. I get thumped like that and CANT cast.

Sometimes bandit tasks go fine, other times, the random combination of that hit, and followed up with a second bandit using another cman that seems to hit can put you at serious risk or dead just by stepping into the room. It is all fun, and I am one that at times thinks it should be hard. But when your attempting to stay in one area as you said for r/p or other reasons. I means sometimes spending more time in a night getting healed then actually anything else.

Also, the second fuss is how slow companions are to respond. I had my companion with me through all of that, an she wasnt even in the room with me from being slow to follow. So by the time she did arrive she did not see me take the stun or any hit, and just sits there watching as she has no idea I had even been attacked. Its annoying if I hide an sneak around she is on me like glue, but normal wandering she seems to sometimes have no clue where I went for sometimes minutes.
Re: critter cmans 09/17/2014 07:04 PM CDT

<however there seems to be a hard cap on how much CM defense you can generate because as you approach 2x CM, your mobility bonus approaches 0.>

this maybe is a question for the powers that be, but if the mobility bonus falls off why do we pay a higher mana cost as mobility increases with spell ranks if it is negated by CM training? I would hope that if that is the case, once you have enough cmans to remove the mobility bonus the mana cost would fall back to its base.
Re: critter cmans 09/17/2014 07:47 PM CDT
GILBERTJ26
this maybe is a question for the powers that be, but if the mobility bonus falls off why do we pay a higher mana cost as mobility increases with spell ranks if it is negated by CM training? I would hope that if that is the case, once you have enough cmans to remove the mobility bonus the mana cost would fall back to its base.

Because Mobility (618) does more than just provide phantom Combat Maneuver ranks against CMAN attacks.

GameMaster Estild
Re: critter cmans 09/18/2014 08:42 PM CDT

<Because Mobility (618) does more than just provide phantom Combat Maneuver ranks against CMAN attacks.

GameMaster Estild>

Thanks for the reply and that works!
Re: critter cmans 09/18/2014 11:20 PM CDT
>>Just so you know, guys, PF doesn't help against CMANs, just critter maneuvers like roa'ter burrows and stuff. You're better off focusing on CM if CMAN defense is your goal. Mobility also helps against CMANs in a way that increases with ranger spell ranks, however there seems to be a hard cap on how much CM defense you can generate because as you approach 2x CM, your mobility bonus approaches 0.

>Good news: as you approach 2x cman, the effects of critter cmans diminishes.
More good news: you have spells that help you reach an effective 2x Cman ranks without actually having the full ranks.

>Reality news: you're still going to get hit with cmans, even at 2x CMAN and full cdefense. Cutthroat is one I still get hit with, even at 2x cman, 2x PT (which I don't believe is a factor for cmans, only maneuver defense) 1x perception, and full plate.

Thanks for the feedback on that.

I don't really mind, but I was curious about lessening the impact as training points become available. Sometimes I get annoyed, and sometimes the challenge is fun. I think the stupid bandit net bugs me more than anything. I do tend to chime in on these conversations simply to make sure that things are working as intended. I also like to know the balance between developing my character and creating liabilities with my mutant training paths, so the feedback is helpful for letting me assess those things.

~ Bill, Coyote.
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
Re: critter cmans 09/19/2014 05:16 AM CDT

No evidence at all with this but a friend that 2x perception had a whole lot less issue with bandit traps then one with 1x. Only thing we could think on was perception.
Re: critter cmans 09/19/2014 08:52 AM CDT
>No evidence at all with this but a friend that 2x perception had a whole lot less issue with bandit traps then one with 1x. Only thing we could think on was perception.

With archery and hurling, I've been 2x'd in perception for a long time. It does seem to help.

~ Bill, Coyote.
Re: critter cmans 09/19/2014 10:55 AM CDT
Of the 3 characters I've done bandits with my feeling is

1.5x perception beats 1x perception+1.5x survival beats 1x perception+0.2x survival

but I don't have statistics to back up how significant that feeling really is.
Re: critter cmans 09/19/2014 07:22 PM CDT
We were told flat out by a GM that perception and survival are weighted equally for detecting bandit traps.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Re: critter cmans 09/19/2014 09:25 PM CDT

<We were told flat out by a GM that perception and survival are weighted equally for detecting bandit traps.>

that meaning equally as in 1x in both is no different then 1x in one? Or its combined but 1 holds no more weight then the other?
Re: critter cmans 09/19/2014 09:50 PM CDT
They didn't say whether the skills had diminishing returns or not. All I'd assume is that x ranks of one is equal to the same number of ranks of the other.

Droit

Re: critter cmans 09/20/2014 09:51 AM CDT
>We were told flat out by a GM that perception and survival are weighted equally for detecting bandit traps.

Interesting. That makes sense.

And this is where we see the liability of a mutant path. Turin is NOT a skinner. LOL. Survival? Pah! Ambush ranks! ;-)

Thanks for the info.

~ Bill, Coyote.