1650: Stability 03/01/2017 08:32 PM CST
Duration: 5 minutes + 10 seconds per Paladin spell rank over 50

Type: Defensive

Description: Surrounds the caster with a protective barrier that has two primary effects. First, the barrier serves to block dispel effects. The barrier can protect the caster from losing up to 50 spell levels due to dispel effects, +1 spell level per Seed 3 summation of Spiritual Lore, Summoning ranks. CASTing the spell will create a barrier that prioritizes protecting spells on the Minor Spiritual and Paladin spell lists. CHANNELing the spell will create a barrier that prioritizes protecting spells from other spell lists.

Additionally, the barrier provides moderate protection against spell burst effects. While active, the caster can wear an additional 10 mana worth of spells, +1 mana per Seed 2 summation of Spiritual Lore, Religion ranks. If the barrier spell duration ends for any reason, the caster will be given a grace period extension of the spell burst effect of 1 second per Spiritual Lore, Blessing rank, capped at 60 seconds.
Re: 1650: Stability 03/01/2017 08:45 PM CST
That seems like an interesting idea for a spell, but I'm not sure it fits for the capstone paladin spell. The effects are useful but fairly mild (essentially just like rubbing a gold coin and having some extra magic ranks known).

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: 1650: Stability 03/01/2017 09:57 PM CST
This would block 50 levels worth. So it would catch up to 50 levels of individual dispels or would likely block 1 to 1 1/2 Spiritual/Elemental/Mental Abolitions before fading away. It would effectively make Paladins immune to dispel effects.

Plus, kind of a lot of magic ranks.

My concern with my own spell idea isn't that it's not capstone enough- it gives Paladins some benefits/immunities that no one else in the game has- it's actually that Paladins aren't a particularly magical profession. And this is a very magical effect.
Re: 1650: Stability 03/02/2017 10:33 PM CST
My concern with my own spell idea isn't that it's not capstone enough- it gives Paladins some benefits/immunities that no one else in the game has- it's actually that Paladins aren't a particularly magical profession. And this is a very magical effect.

Actually 520 gives partial dispel immunity.

So my first thought when I saw this suggestion was that it was a way to circumvent capped zones with spell burst (otf) and spell stripping (rift).

Is that what you were going for? I ask because sometimes players suggest new abilities that aren't well received because the actual problem they're trying to address hasn't been properly articulated. I'm trying to determine if there's an actual need here that you've stumbled on.

As an example, the dispel protection in 520 may not be valued that much when compared to the other protective abilities, in fact it could be considered much weaker. Except that a wizard has 3+ defensive spells that provide 50+ DS, losing even one of those can mean death on the very next hit since they wear full leather/robes. So dispel is a pretty big problem for the class, getting dispelled can and does equal death, but it only shows up as a big problem when you're near cap/post cap because those defense spells account for so much of your defense.

Paladins are much more robust than mages, and their spell bonuses are generally much lower. Getting hit with a multi-dispel is usually only going to drop a capped paladin's defense by maybe an average of 40 DS? With redux, plate, and beseech a paladin can generally shrug that off and regroup if needed. So I'm curious as to why you'd want this.

Viduus