1650- Penance 01/16/2017 04:06 PM CST

Just a random idea-

1650- Penance:
Duration 600 seconds; refreshable

While active, the Paladin instantly projects all of their current status ailments to their foes through the use of the PENANCE verb (prone, stunned, webbed, distracted, immobile, poisoned, etc) for a cost of 50 mana. The effect is extremely difficult to resist (but cannot bypass natural immunity), and the number of enemies that can be affected is equal to a base of 6 plus 1 for every 50 summoning skill. The Paladin is able to invoke this ability even under circumstances that would normally bar casting (including ailments like sleep). Use of the PENANCE verb instantly uses up any remaining duration of the Penance spell and cannot be used again until the spell is re-cast.

Note- use of Penance does not cure the Paladin of the ailments but merely subjects their enemies to the same ailments. Duration for the status ailments is identical to the full duration of the effects, not the current duration for the Paladin. For example, a Paladin that is 10 seconds into a 30 second stun would project a 30 second stun on their opponents, even though the Paladin has only 20 seconds remaining of the stun.

Additionally, use of BESEECH to end status ailments brings a % chance to store that ailment for later use (modified by Religion lore). A Paladin who BESEECHes to end a web, for example, has a chance to store that webbed condition. A Paladin can store up to two charges of the following conditions: stunned, webbed, distracted, poisoned, diseased, sheer fear, asleep, immobile, (and whatever else I'm forgetting). The Paladin can then use the BURDEN verb to instantly apply any stored status ailments to themselves. Doing so uses up one stored charge for each ailment.
Re: 1650- Penance 01/16/2017 04:12 PM CST
Neat idea, similar to what Empaths already do with wounds only more different.

Not sure your RT/stun/poison/disease idea will work, though, because I don't think GemStone stores "what it was, and what is remaining of it" for anything.
I suspect it just records "this is the current effect in place". Be it "RT == 84 seconds" or "stun == 10 rounds" [8 rounds later, it says, "stun == 2 rounds"], or "poison/disease is 37/round, dissipating 2/round" [six rounds later, it is now "25/round, dissipating 2/round"], or whatever.

Programmatically, it's a LOT less to worry about. This way, you can always just look at "current state" and... it is whatever it is.
Re: 1650- Penance 01/16/2017 04:31 PM CST
yeah, actually spotted a few shortcomings and risks. I'd amend the spell idea as such:

-A Paladin has a chance of overcoming any natural immunity their opponents may have to the status effects being projected. (i.e. stun the unstunnable) The chance of overpowering a natural immunity is 50% +1% per blessing lore rank. A separate roll is made for each victim and each status ailment they are immune to.

-The BURDEN verb can be toggled to 5 seconds or 10 seconds. If BURDEN is set to 5 seconds, the duration of the stored status ailments is 5 rounds. If set to 10 seconds, the duration is 10 rounds. The Paladin cannot BESEECH away these afflictions (or mitigate them in any other way). This is introducing a small amount of risk with a potentially large payoff.

-Status ailments may only be stored if they are the result of creature attacks. (can't cheat and use players to store up every status ailment you can think of)
Re: 1650- Penance 01/16/2017 04:37 PM CST
Thanks- I wanted to play off of our existing themes- Divine Retribution and Divine Intervention as well as to find a way to stick to the religious nature of the profession.

You're probably right that they don't currently store duration of effects, but it's likely not too tough to code. The max state for the status ailments is generated somewhere. Hopefully you'd just need to introduce some dummy variables to catch the last duration of each status effect at the moment the effect occurs, and then add a check to see if it's still active?

Or, it could just be a duration determined individually by the spell. Just don't want to see a Paladin project a 2 second stun onto the room as a 30 second stun.