1650- Vestige of Piety 02/25/2016 02:09 AM CST
Hey all, pretty young player here (level 24, so go easy on me if this idea is ridiculous, broken, useless, or already been discussed. This idea is also in no way hashed out technically and is entirely improvised as I write this.

What if the final paladin spell slot was the ability to forge and infuse a spell (through a process TBD)into a special wearable religious artifact (perhaps a description and wearable location of the players choosing, in a form pleasing to the tastes of their chosen Arkati) that could be activated during combat to stun or otherwise force a target or multiple targets into hard RT, and could be used even when the activating player is him/herself in hard RT.

This could be used as an escape, as a savior skill (your and/or your hunting partner is stunned and prone after an unfortunate combat round)to buy time for an action before that rude beastie(s) gets another whack in. Or maybe because your a baddass and your holding the front lines alone during a swarming invasion and need to keep the baddies busy while the screaming plebes are busy dragging away dead bodies. Or, for any number of reasons, you suddenly find yourself screaming out loud and wishing you had some way to just, please, not get hit again! I'm sure there would be many creative applications of this ability offensively as well...I'm not old enough to have any experience with high level combat techniques and the types of enemies found in near cap and post cap areas, or what would be the most beneficial addition to group hunting.

Single target invocation would provide a longer effect duration than multiple targets, perhaps with the duration of either type tied to a specific lore training (which lore tbd). Perhaps the item could even be toggled to go off automatically at a certain health or specific condition threshold...like the Patron Arkati has reached out on behalf of their devotee to cheat the situation and stave off catastrophe.

For obvious reasons, there would be either a daily limit or a lengthy cooldown period on usage of this item. (Maybe affected by Favors done or gained in service of your God..?)

I've no idea, honestly, whether this a relevant or useful idea, especially later in game when one would have the ability to use it, but I was inspired to think about the 1650 spell slot when browsing this forum and in the few 1650 posts I read about I don't think anyone has suggested something like this. Perhaps the Stun or RT thing is the wrong effect, and some other effect would be more beneficial overall- I'll rely on all you older folks to discuss. But what do you think about wearing a unique item of your making to display your dedication to your arkati..and that arkati rewarding your piety by granting some of its power to you through this symbol?

-Draefen
Re: 1650- Vestige of Piety 02/25/2016 10:12 AM CST
Definitely has usefulness going for it, as RT lock is one of the more common ways paladins can die.

Not sure it has that "zing" for the ultimate paladin spell, but then again I've not really thought of much interesting myself.

The deathbot will come back eventually.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: 1650- Vestige of Piety 02/25/2016 10:13 AM CST
interesting concept, but I don't know if I'd want that as a 50th slot or not as I would actually want the 50th slot to be something more ongoing as opposed to x amount of times a day. If I were to guess, if that were to be approved, then that ability is maybe once a day which to me isn't worthwhile to learn up to 50 circles of Paladinhood as I would rather stay at 40 and not hurt damage reduction. The main problem therein is not having the control of when it activates. Sometimes (and really.. more often than not) when my paladin is in hard RT, he isn't really in a bad situation since he's "ready" with his defense up, spells, and hardly any injuries.. thus able to take whatever blows are coming. If that artifact activated, it would (at least in my opinion) end up being a waste, respectfully.

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: 1650- Vestige of Piety 02/25/2016 12:17 PM CST

Yeah I hear ya with the limited number of uses for a 50 slot spell. Regarding the activations though- Just to clarify, what I meant is that the item could be activated any time by the player, OR be set by the player to activate on their behalf when below certain HP or a certain condition is met. This auto-cast could be toggled on/off. Maybe that part is not worth it.

Perhaps it could do more than just an RT effect (or instead of). I also see this as a way to include a Smite/Bane type of element by providing specialized messaging and an effect particular to your deity. Depending on the lore of your Arkati, perhaps some would strike out causing physical harm, others would cause a debuff (-AS,-CS,-DS,-TD) to the target(s) in addition to the stun. Melting away armor, shattering a weapon, plucking out eyes or tongues, draining enemy mana pools, or any number of things. Maybe your Arkati is more benevolent and would rather restore HP to your group, or shield your group from the next successful enemy attack roll. Perhaps there might be like 20 total possibilities, with each Arkati having 5 that best fit their lore assigned to them. The frequency or likelihood of any one of your diety's 5 effects occuring when cast could be tied to lore training, with effectiveness tied to a success tier similar to criticals or flares, or the Cleric Smite/Bane spell.