Bonding to Armor 05/15/2015 10:53 AM CDT
I know this has been thrown around a lot over the years, but I'd definitely like to see 1625 work on armor after X spell ranks (make it a big number- give Paladins some reason to actually continue training in the Paladin spell circle beyond 1635)

In the same way that 1625 gives the potential for a permanent 1604 effect, I imagine that bonded armor would look something like:

Rank 1: -2 CvA; Sanctified [Requires 50 spell ranks]
Rank 2: -4 CvA (cumulative); permanent guiding light flares if not otherwise padded or possessing alternative flares [Requires 53 spell ranks]
Rank 3: -6 CvA; Permanent Faith's Clarity Effect (base effect only) [Requires 56 spell ranks]
Rank 4: -8 CvA; Faith's Clarity Effect now benefits from Paladin's Summoning Lore [Requires 59 spell ranks]
Rank 5: -10 CvA; Phantom Damage Padding to a level of heavy (up to expertly based on blessing lore) [Requires 63 spell ranks]
Re: Bonding to Armor 05/15/2015 11:24 AM CDT
Thirty points of CvA is pretty major.

With that said, I could maybe see it...
...as long as the bond increases the same way the weapon bond does: damage done to creatures with it. (i.e. "damage inflicted by the armor")

Tackle your hearts out. Get those reactive flares. Whatever.
Re: Bonding to Armor 05/15/2015 11:51 AM CDT

The CvA is cumulative- so final step is -10 CvA; not 30.

And the way the bond strengthens is sort of challenging, but it could just strengthen off of actual attacks against the Paladin (whether they resolve as a hit or not)
Re: Bonding to Armor 05/15/2015 02:27 PM CDT
If you'd said -4 net, or total, for the second benefit, that would have led to the inference of -2/rank. -2 and -4 cumulative implies a total of -6 at that point.

Describing it as "-2 at each rank" would be clearer, or "-2 [-4 total]" ranging up to "-2 [-10 total]".
Re: Bonding to Armor 05/15/2015 02:48 PM CDT

I'd rather see armor bonding as a 50th level spell if I'm going to need 50 spell ranks to do the below proposed. However; the below by itself won't make it worthy to be a 50th level spell.

There is a reason to beyond 1635.. look again at 1640 and it's awesome new changes. Granted, it's a key situation and likely not going to be used too often but nonetheless, it's still a much more viable option for players and especially when no clears are about. Even if there are clergy, the 10 minute time frame window gives a person an option to do a quick "mind frying hunt" and then rest to pay the price which almost negates the "chrism please" requests.

When whatever masterfully planned 1650 comes into play, I don't know if I nor others will need to go beyond 50 spells of knowledge in exchange for the loss of Redux. But who knows? Maybe it'll be so awesome that some of us may choose to not learn nearly as much in Minor Spiritual circle.

What of Voln armors with Phantom? What of armors that are already padded? Would the below stack? I'm not questioning the balance, so much as I'm questioning the usefulness of it so every paladin may use it. This is why I love the Crusade spell so much - it lets all players in the party of the paladin to receive the temp flares regardless of weighting, flares, etc upon the weapon during that massive 1 minute of destroying Kenstrom's world destroying minions.

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: Bonding to Armor 05/15/2015 03:26 PM CDT
Miss the point a little harder Krakii ;)
Re: Bonding to Armor 05/15/2015 03:41 PM CDT
Well of course the proposal wasn't fit for a 50th level spell. The proposal wasn't for a 50th level spell- it was for a 25th level spell.

More to the point though, if the GMs had agreed with your concerns about people with equipment that's already uber, then 1625 would never have been developed. This proposal is actually a lot more forgiving than 1625. Phantom padding is already a concept in the game (Voln Armor, as you mentioned), and it's already established that it's additive in regards to existing padding. (In this case, I actually chose damage padding because so many people have crit padding). The only benefit that not everyone will get is the guiding light flare effect. And that's consistent with 1625's design.

And you don't need to sell me on the value of 1640- I specifically went up to 40 before starting on the 100s. This isn't about whether or not 1640 is beneficial (I sincerely think it is), but, rather, a commentary on the fact that most Paladins don't bother going that high because they don't feel it's worth the TPs and redux hit.
Re: Bonding to Armor 05/15/2015 03:49 PM CDT
Hey, I thought that an extra faux-TD of 30 points was pretty sweet... but possibly too much, even for a high-level spell. And I agree that it's better as an additional facet of the 25th level, not really worthy of standing alone for 50th.
Re: Bonding to Armor 05/17/2015 04:23 AM CDT
Sounds like a "free" way for my Voln armor to get ensorcell effects and more. Why not? :P

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p