Holy Forge 05/03/2015 02:20 PM CDT

So I'm a sorcerer most of the time... but I was wondering about this for the idea of a 1650 spell.

Warriors - Sheaths
Rogues - Locks
Rangers - Wands
Wizards - Enchant
Clerics - Spirit Imbeds
Sorcerers - Ensorcell

A lot of classes get an ability to make things. What if Paladins as the holy arm of their gods were also the forging hand?

With a fairly lengthy/time consuming process gather energy by smiting their God's enemies or what have you. A Paladin is able to reforge a weapon or piece of armor to allow them to sanctify a weapon.

Now... I know the argument will be that the weapon is then only useful for paladins and clerics. What if in addition to that the weapon is perma-blessed in the hands of a follower of the Paladin's god. Sort of a greater sanctify.

Obvious restrictions to this would be along the lines of ensorcelling and enchanting. Flare restrictions, script difficulty increases, fusion restrictions, etc.

Clerics could be given the ability to create some sort of new holy oil (Or modify an existing one.) via alchemy that could be a component in the process.

Difficulty could involve the following:

Positive Modifiers:
Level
Paladin Spells Known
Blessing Lore
Weapon Training matching Weapon Target
Armor Training enough for Armor Target

Negative Modifiers:
Enchant of Target
Mechanical Scripts on Target
No Weapon Training matching Weapon Target

Modifiers (Positive or Negative based on value):
Aura
Discipline
Strength
Constitution
Wisdom
Influence

This would give paladins the ability to contribute an item into the game world that is useful to all players. While sanctified weapons aren't uncommon, the ability for players to create them would be nice. Obviously the pros and cons of being able to introduce the much rarer perma-blessed items into the game is much more difficult to measure.

(As an addition if the user's religion lore determined a weapon holy/unholy forged ability to flare would be neat as well.)

I had thought of this idea actually for Wizard high level spell as well, only with the idea that a wizard would collect elemental energy and add in elemental flares. (Again with bonuses to do so with more of the correct elemental lore, and possibly with bonuses to flare strength/frequency based on users lores.) Of course the limits and restrictions of what you could add it to would be a delicate balancing act.

Just a thought though.
Re: Holy Forge 05/04/2015 02:00 PM CDT
Too much like 1625 for us (Sanctify Weapon). Unless it adds more on to 1625 to really be worth our while, I don't think it'd be much use for us to learn 50 circles just to make a permablessed weapon when we could just use 1625 on our weapon of choice (which btw, gives us guiding flares on our weapon if the weapon doesn't already have weighting or another flare).

Good thought though otherwise.

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: Holy Forge 05/04/2015 05:28 PM CDT

Understood. To be honest I sort of think it should be lower in the spell tier... but the other side of it was to also give Paladins something of value to other players. I agree it lacks a certain boost for the Paladins themselves, but the idea of making permablessed/holy (unholy) flaring weapons for others lends a different value to a Paladin. On further thought the bigger concern I see is it makes seeking out clerics less desirable for certain blesses, but Voln has already undercut that a bit.

As a thought... what if any of your personally forged weapons were instantly bonded to you when you used 1625? It would allow Paladin's to use more than one weapon and skip over the bonding period. Other thoughts are increased frequency on the consecrate flares or extra damage. Also depending on how this option was implemented with armor and shields it seems more than a little useful rather than just overlapping 1625.

Also we have to look at the power level of the other 50 level spells. People are suggesting body yanking combined with teleports and pet like combatants following the paladin around, or avatar like power imbues.

50 Level Spells:

Regeneration (Empaths): Awesome, very powerful but limited daily uses. (And very limited time or effect.)
Miracle (Clerics): Once per day self raise. Again very powerful but again once per day. (And instant effect not lingering.)
Assume Aspect (Ranger): Unlimited, but small bonus at a time, variable but mana intensive.

I just see a lot of the suggestions as being Elanthia shattering... which so far the 50th rank spells... just aren't. Another part of my thought process is to give other professions a reason to rely on Paladins and to provide a way for Paladins to provide an additional service in game. An end thought of mine was that we could also have multiple things that occupy the "Ensorcell" slot Sorcerers use. Essentially having people choose between ensorcelling, blessing, flaring, and what have you. (Singing weapons for Transfixation flares for bards or whatever.)

Still just thoughts spilling out, by no means the only or even best suggestion.
Re: Holy Forge 05/04/2015 08:56 PM CDT
Well if it helps to get in our mind set... not a whole lot of us (least to my knowledge thus far) don't bother learning the paladin spells after the 35th circle (Divine Intervention) though it's not unheard of for us to learn up to spell slot 120 or even as far as wall of force (though more rare) as we choose better Redux over the spell slot and especially the requirement of 1640 (no offense and it's understood why of course!). While the ability to raise is great, and has been upgraded we rarely use it thus why the question of why bother learning it if we can't even bring ourselves up other than to choose for RP reasons to learn it or (in the case of Platinum) to learn it due to lack of clergy. It's been my experience with people wanting chrisms all the time, but it's probably more due to the time of day I play and us Rift hunters usually have empaths and clerics not too far away.

Anyway.. the point being with the 50th slot, that we'd need a boost of motivation to learn it so it has to be epic and makes the statement "I am a paladin of (Deity), don't mess with me"

I, myself, am more in favor of the armor idea and the avatar like ideas but I think the main concern is game balance. I'm sure somebody will come up with an awesome idea for the 50th slot and have it implemented. Even more of a bonus for it to be deity flavored.

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!