More 1650 banter 04/20/2015 07:40 AM CDT
Not really sure if I should latch on to one of the old threads, necro an even older one, or what.

I know it had been mentioned one idea for a facet of 1650 was to not feel the effects of wounds. I don't really care about bleeding too much, but I was getting dinged up a lot on my last hunt. I was personally okay to continue the hunt despite a broken right arm, broken left hand, gash on my abdomen, poked in both eyes and other minors all over. But then I start getting maneuvered like crazy and it's just annoying. I only needed to slay 5 more creatures, and I'd injured about three of them, but it just wasn't worth the risk to not go back to town and heal up eating a salad.

This ability alone is not powerful enough for a stand-alone spell that has limited uses per day, and is probably too powerful to serve as a permanent buff spell. Adding it to the group would give a little extra perk, but still this needs more features I suppose. It's definitely within our domain considering the modern Divine Word. And maybe another hunting buff isn't what people wanted. It does seem to satisfy the general limited-per-day issue of "when do I use this" (answer: when you're really beat up but want to keep plowing creatures over). It seems to couple well with 1608, too.

The bleeding could continue as far as I'm concerned if we needed to cut something to gain other features. Not sure where else to go with this idea, though.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: More 1650 banter 04/23/2015 10:55 AM CDT
A bit of a follow-up here.

After the post, I continued the evening's hunting. I later got up to a 12-per chest bleeder, but continued seeking my heirloom, requiring killing 15 more flesh golems. At first I was using Symbol of Restoration, but eventually reverted to casting Rejuvenation on myself very regularly just to not plow through my favor. This was partly possible because I don't tend to use a lot of mana killing flesh golems. In any case, I personally don't have a lot of desire to see bleeding stopping for this spell. Sure, it would be nice, but there are plenty of other ways to tackle this problem between society and 1607 (and ensorcell if you use such a weapon). In that sense, I just want to ensure that if 1650 were to approach the problem of wounds, I don't want to go overboard on what it does, because I want room for other features, too. (I'm not sure what features, but anyway.)

I also don't mind if experience penalties from head wounds continue to afflict my paladin in the field.

I would, however, want the ability to swing my weapon missing my arm. Call it crazy if you want, but my patron can swing my weapon for me (this could have neat messaging per patron, as well). I want the ability not to get maneuver penalties with injuries. I want the ability to loot creatures without eyes. I want the ability to cast spells with my head caved in and bleeding all over. That is to say, I want explicitly combat-related wound penalties to go away, not the ability to forage herbs, etc, with no eyes.

To tack on further to the idea of "when do I use this" etc, consider that as injuries accrue, the chance of death / futher injury increases. Although this makes perfect sense, it's what I am out to negate. If the sort of flavor of the spell is the wrath of our patron for the injury of the paladin, perhaps some extra bonuses can be achieved the more we are injured. I don't want that to be the limiting additional abilities from the spell, but definitely if we added some kind of other boons with the spell, they can increase in effectiveness the more the paladin becomes injured. Coupling with turning off the combat-related hindrances of injuries, this turns the situation of becoming more injured leading to a higher chance of death into being more injured leading to becoming more of a hulking killing machine. This is definitely some flavor I like which sounds unique to paladins.

There may be some backend consideration to avoid abuse by purposely injuring ourselves or our friends injuring us. This is easy to deal with in an appropriate and interesting way. It's possible the boons can arise from specific creature types inflicting the injuries, that become sanctioned foes, and the boons increase for that type of creature for the further injuries they inflict on the paladin. This nicely removes the ease of abuse and does some neat flavor.

I'm pretty sure I'm using inspiration from other people in a number of aspects of this design, but I hope it's only seen as us all working together. I'm too lazy at the moment to review all the 1650 discussions and see who may have said what which I'm using in this proposal.

Comments, please!

Re: More 1650 banter 04/24/2015 01:39 PM CDT
For what it's worth in my experience as a Two Handed Wielding paladin.. One eye, or my right arm being gone means Run because suddenly I cannot cast (which I disagree with when it comes to losing just one eye since I don't see why that would stop me from casting defense spells / utility spells upon myself though I can understand it would be a lil more difficult to aim my offense spells at a creature). I just don't want to see a 50th level slot ending up the boat as Zealot and Divine Shield with Divine Shield requiring the paladin having a shield to use and thus useless to the 2 handed wielding paladin.

I think I'm still more in favor for the armor or avatar ideas for X amount of times per day and being unkillable for duration of it.

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: More 1650 banter 04/24/2015 01:42 PM CDT
Actually...

what if the 50th slot spell were to be X amount of times per day for the Armor to gain plasma flares despite padding etc, and let the paladin ignore wounds, blood lost during the duration and they don't die while the spell is in effect?

Just a thought.

Re: More 1650 banter 04/24/2015 01:43 PM CDT
My paladin also does not use a shield.

>I think I'm still more in favor for the armor or avatar ideas for X amount of times per day and being unkillable for duration of it.

I'm willing to say my design, as proposed here, is opposed to this.

Empaths have Regeneration (1150), and they get phantom padding, etc.

Paladins should kill, kill, and kill.

Re: More 1650 banter 04/24/2015 07:07 PM CDT
Oh I agree.. kill kill and kill. I didn't say heal though. I just mentioned ignore the wounds if that's possible so the paladin could keep killing and harm those that hurt him/her.

I almost wish we'd get a chime in to get more of a feel for what the designers want us to direct our thoughts towards so we can propose more ideas for the 50th slot so it's awesome and can be used by any paladin despite what their build is.

I still think Divine Shield should have a secondary effect to it that when it detect no shield in hand for the paladin to gain more of a chance to parry vs blocking.

Re: More 1650 banter 04/24/2015 10:21 PM CDT
>I still think Divine Shield should have a secondary effect to it that when it detect no shield in hand for the paladin to gain more of a chance to parry vs blocking.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. It's one thing with 1605 to only affect melee weapons (paladins aren't really known for being good at ranged anyway), but it's definitely a bit lame that most polearm users, all THW users, all TWC users...yeah I'm preaching to the choir.

I'm fairly sure I mentioned this in a basic circle review in a post shortly after I started playing my warrior-converted-paladin, and it wasn't touched in the (generally excellent and amazing) Paladin Base review. So I sort of shrug my shoulders and have given up hope. Besides, it doesn't work with Zealot anyway, who wants it?!