Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/16/2011 05:52 PM CDT
Later tonight, I'll be deploying Symbol of the Proselyte (340) to the test instance. (I will post an update to this thread once it is ready.) While there, it is available for testing and feedback. Any bugs and feedback should be posted in this thread. Below is some information regarding the spell to help players know the intended mechanics:

Symbol of the Proselyte (340): Clerics are called upon to convert new followers to their flock and to punish the unrepentant. When cast upon a holy symbol that matches the caster's deity, the wielder of the symbol is able to receive a Spirit CS or bolt AS bonus equal to 5 + the caster's (INF bonus / 2) for the next few warding or bolt spells. It has base duration of 3 casts + 1 additional cast per (Spiritual Lore, Blessings skill / 50). If the target's spell is cast against an opposing alignment of the caster's deity (Bane/Smite) then there is an additional +CS/AS modifier equal to the caster's (WIS bonus / 3). In addition, when the attack is made, instead of adding a d100, it will use 50 + d50 (similar to the Truehand CMAN). To gain the benefit of this effect, the target should CHANT to the symbol, initiating the buff for the next cast (up to 30 seconds). It consumes 2 spirit points to cast this spell upon a symbol.

Notes:
* The spell is castable on others or specifically at objects. When cast at players (or with no target, to specify yourself), it will check the target's hands for the symbol.
* A holy symbol is a predefined object. Clerics and Paladins can generate unlimited number of these symbols at the Zul Logoth shrine. Old symbols (sold from various merchants) will automatically be converted to the new system if it can detect the deity of the symbol. This is usually done by matching the previous descriptions of old symbols or if the deity name is in the description and the object is a "symbol".
* If you have a symbol that does not automatically convert to work with the spell and you think it is a bug, please BUGITEM it. This will provide me with the exact details regarding the object so that I may investigate it fully.
* Clerics and Paladins can APPRAISE a symbol to determine which deity it is set to.
* Once the spell goes live, we'll be running a few merchant services to convert old symbols that could not be automatically converted.
* Holy symbols for this system can only be dedicated to a single deity. If the symbol is scripted and provides different messaging/effects based upon CONVERT status, it will not work (since the deity changes based upon the user's CONVERT status).
* Once a player activates the buff from a symbol, they cannot activate the buff from any other symbol for 10 minutes.
* The symbol must be worn before a player can CHANT to it to activate the buff.

Below is a preview of the spell:

First Person:
>prep 340
You raise your hand while murmuring a soft orison, focusing on the Symbol of the Proselyte spell...
Your spell is ready.
>cast
You gesture.
You rest your hand atop your banded onyx key symbol. The edges of your hand go black, and from the core of the symbol shines a golden light. The effect is not unlike light through a keyhole.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>
>chant symbol
You chant a reverent orison and lightly clasp your banded onyx key symbol. A rush of divine power washes over you. Your symbol pulses once and you feel the eternal watchfulness of Lorminstra staring through your eyes.
>
>incant 201
You trace a sign while beseeching the spirits to empower you with the Calm spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a giant rat.
CS: +344 - TD: +3 + CvA: +25 + 50 + d50: +29 == +445
Warding failed!
A calm washes over a giant rat.
The divine power suffusing your actions wanes, leaving you bereft of Lorminstra's aid.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

Third Person:
Estild gestures.
Estild rests his hand atop his banded onyx key symbol. The edges of his hand go black, and from the core of the symbol shines a golden light. The effect is not unlike light through a keyhole.
>
Estild chants a reverent orison and lightly clasp his banded onyx key symbol. A rush of golden light flows out of his symbol, attaching itself to him like a second skin of infinite points of light.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/16/2011 08:09 PM CDT
Very nice! I look forward to using it once it hits Prime!
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/16/2011 09:56 PM CDT
Who has access to the test server? People that went to Simucon last year?
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/16/2011 10:08 PM CDT
Names in blue as well.

"Halflings speak Halfling & Common. They don't speak in dog whistle." - GM Thandiwe
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/16/2011 11:24 PM CDT
>Estild chants a reverent orison and lightly clasp his banded onyx key symbol. A rush of golden light flows out of his symbol, attaching itself to him like a second skin of infinite points of light.

In case it hasn't already been bugged in the test instance or mentioned on the test forums. Clasp should be clasps.

---
>drink my potion
You are now level 19!
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/16/2011 11:35 PM CDT
This is now live in the test instance.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/17/2011 12:03 AM CDT
MOURNE
In case it hasn't already been bugged in the test instance or mentioned on the test forums. Clasp should be clasps.

Fixed.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/17/2011 03:23 AM CDT
A few things I and Orainissa ran into tonight as we tested.

1 - The symbol does not grant the CS or AS bonus on the final charge held in the symbol, but you do get the +50 +50d roll, on the final charge.

I don't think this was intentional?

>>>chant symb
>>You chant a reverent orison and lightly clasp your crown symbol. A rush of divine power washes over you. Your symbol pulses once and you feel the might of Koar overtake you.

>>The golden glow surrounding your symbol dissipates.

>>CS: +220 - TD: +117 + CvA: +1 + 50 + d50: +36 == +190

Then, after recharging the symbol:

>>chant symb
>>You chant a reverent orison and lightly clasp your crown symbol. A rush of divine power washes over you. Your symbol pulses once and you feel the might of Koar overtake you.

>>CS: +240 - TD: +117 + CvA: +1 + 50 + d50: +26 == +200

This goes for Bolt AS as well. You don't get an AS bonus, but you DO get the +50 D-roll bonus.

2 - The bonus doesn't get applied to 319.

3 - The 10 minute cool down was not in effect in the test instance.

Suggestions after using it?

1- Make it so that each CHANT lasts for several casts, rather than just one. Base of 1 cast, chance for more based off of lore, perhaps religion.

Or - Have it last a flat 30 seconds per CHANT.

2- Change the cool down from 10min per CHANT to 10min per Cast of 340.

One or both of these suggestions would make this spell much more a level 40 spell. I like it so far though. But I also had no cooldown to test it with.

Thanks! This spell does look awesome so far.

SEND[Auchand] Show me on the doll where Kenstrom touched you.
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/17/2011 10:05 AM CDT
Does this mean a cleric can cast at an infinite number of symbols in advance and have them stored up for future use?

Do influence enhancives count for the purpose of raising the bonus?
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/17/2011 02:57 PM CDT
>>The 10 minute cool down was not in effect in the test instance.

>>* Once a player activates the buff from a symbol, they cannot activate the buff from any other symbol for 10 minutes.

I read that to mean I can't use a stockpile of symbols. As soon as I start using one, the rest won't allow me to chant at them for 10 minutes. I can still chant at my current one until it runs out of charges.

Is that what you're seeing on the test server?
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/17/2011 03:26 PM CDT
>I read that to mean I can't use a stockpile of symbols. As soon as I start using one, the rest won't allow me to chant at them for 10 minutes. I can still chant at my current one until it runs out of charges.

This is what I remember from the original spell info.
I'd also like to know if the CS bonus is affected by INF enhancives and lastly, does it work with 240? If someone with access could check that out and get back to us, thanks!
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/17/2011 07:31 PM CDT
SWELLMAN
1 - The symbol does not grant the CS or AS bonus on the final charge held in the symbol, but you do get the +50 +50d roll, on the final charge.

Fixed.

SWELLMAN
2 - The bonus doesn't get applied to 319.

This isn't intentionally. Due to how Divine Wrath (319) is setup, it'll require an update to account for this spell.

SWELLMAN
3 - The 10 minute cool down was not in effect in the test instance.

I think you're misunderstanding the 10 minute cooldown. The cooldown only applies to activating the buff from different symbols. Specifically, you can use all the charges from a single symbol in any amount of time. You can also cast 340 at any number of symbols in any amount of time. However, once a symbol is out of charges, you can't just get out another symbol to use. You can recast the spell at the original symbol (thus costing 40 mana and 2 spirit during a hunt) if you really wanted to though.

SWELLMAN
Suggestions after using it?
1- Make it so that each CHANT lasts for several casts, rather than just one. Base of 1 cast, chance for more based off of lore, perhaps religion.
Or - Have it last a flat 30 seconds per CHANT.
2- Change the cool down from 10min per CHANT to 10min per Cast of 340.

We're unlikely to implement the first idea, as the spell is not intended as a persistent effect. It's a quick boost for a single attack when you need it, similar to Spirit Strike (117). As for your second idea, see my above paragraph about the cooldown.

UNICORN3
Does this mean a cleric can cast at an infinite number of symbols in advance and have them stored up for future use?

You can, but anytime you CHANT symbol to activate the buff, you're attuned to that particular symbol for 10 minutes and cannot activate the buff from another symbol during that time.

UNICORN3
Do influence enhancives count for the purpose of raising the bonus?

Yes.

Also, negative stat bonuses won't allow the base mod to go below 5 and the alignment mod to go below 0. (No negative CS/AS for using the spell).

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/17/2011 10:07 PM CDT
This is pretty cool. Can you cast at the original symbol to refresh it if part of the charges have been used, but not all?

Does INF bonus/2 round up or truncate?
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/17/2011 10:15 PM CDT
UNICORN3
This is pretty cool. Can you cast at the original symbol to refresh it if part of the charges have been used, but not all?
Does INF bonus/2 round up or truncate?

You can refresh the number of charges (and combat modifiers) by casting again at the symbol at anytime.

It truncates for the combat modifiers.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/17/2011 10:39 PM CDT
Thanks!

>>If the target's spell is cast against an opposing alignment of the caster's deity (Bane/Smite) then there is an additional +CS/AS modifier equal to the caster's (WIS bonus / 3)

Does this mean that if the caster is Bane aligned, the target will get a boost to casts against the undead?

Do wisdom enhancives count for this additional boost?
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/17/2011 10:45 PM CDT
UNICORN3
Does this mean that if the caster is Bane aligned, the target will get a boost to casts against the undead?
Do wisdom enhancives count for this additional boost?

It means if the casting Cleric is Bane aligned, the symbol wielder will get a bonus when casting against the living. Yes, wisdom enhancives will boost the alignment bonus.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/26/2011 08:30 PM CDT
Accidentally deleted my last post trying to post this one.

I basically said that I had misunderstood the cool down. Thanks for clarifying.

I did a little more testing.

340 does not boost the secondary cast provided by 240(Spirit Slayer) or apply a +50 +50d roll to the spirit's cast.

Again, unsure if that is intentional. It would be nice if it did work, of course. :)

SEND[Auchand] Show me on the doll where Kenstrom touched you.
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/27/2011 03:21 AM CDT
I can see it being intentional that it doesn't work with 240. However, the d50 aspect should be there to make it still worth using despite 240.
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/30/2011 04:30 PM CDT
SWELLMAN
340 does not boost the secondary cast provided by 240(Spirit Slayer) or apply a +50 +50d roll to the spirit's cast.

This is intentional. It's the same as Spirit Strike (117).

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/30/2011 06:10 PM CDT
>>I can see it being intentional that it doesn't work with 240.

So, color me confused.. but why would anyone ever use it instead of 240 then?
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/30/2011 07:18 PM CDT
>So, color me confused.. but why would anyone ever use it instead of 240 then?

Because you can cast it while you are in town, waiting around, and then use it later. It's a stored charge.

~Godefroy
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 05/31/2011 07:40 PM CDT
"So, color me confused.. but why would anyone ever use it instead of 240 then?" -- Unicorn3

I see it as a tool for those who don't do the '2x harness power' route of training.

I have access to 1200 mana in the time it takes me to use it all (so a couple of seconds if I infuse it).

However, a younger cleric in Voln would be able to use 340 a lot more than 240 because of mana constraints.

That's why the d50 element would be a happy compromise. Pop 340 and 240 and then just obliterate a swarm.

Without that d50 element, I don't foresee using this spell for myself.
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/01/2011 05:26 PM CDT
I use a trident talisman won in a drawing on Mist harbor, is this useable or does it have to be a symbol?
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/01/2011 09:10 PM CDT
There is supposed to be a script that automatically identifies suitable items, and it was intended to be fairly robust, from what I hear. There are also noises about merchants to manually flag items that don't get caught by the automated system.

I would be STUNNED if it didn't work.

~Godefroy
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/02/2011 12:10 PM CDT
WHITEDB10
I use a trident talisman won in a drawing on Mist harbor, is this useable or does it have to be a symbol?

As Godefroy points out, casting Symbol of the Proselyte (340) at specific items will attempt to automatically convert them. Currently, this includes:

* Any item with the deity name in the article or adjective and has the noun of "symbol".
* Any off the shelf deity symbol sold at previous years' Ebon Gate.
* Brother Weatherby's symbols
* Symbols from the new Zul Logoth omni-shrine (from the Pilgrimage of Faith event) (I think we need to establish a more concise name for this location).
* Symbols from Intercession (325, T5) (technically, they're the same symbols from the Zul Logoth shrine).

Lastly, we will schedule a few events at varying times where a merchant will be available to manually convert items. It won't be a limited service; instead we'll run the merchant as often as necessary to ensure everyone gets a chance to get their existing symbols converted to work with the spell.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/04/2011 09:55 AM CDT
>>* Symbols from the new Zul Logoth omni-shrine (from the Pilgrimage of Faith event) (I think we need to establish a more concise name for this location).<<

Cavern of the Arkati?

I'm thinking either that, or...

That-place-where-we-all-spent-some-extra-time-trying-to-solve-a-puzzle-that-wasn't-really-there.
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/04/2011 10:28 AM CDT
How about "The Trudge of Devotion"?

~Godefroy

Morvule hisses, "Ssssally ssssellssss sssseashellssss by the sssseasssshore."
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/04/2011 02:39 PM CDT
Blessing Stone Caverns?

I kinda like Cavern of the Arkati for the aliteration. It's catchy!
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/04/2011 05:01 PM CDT
I do like the sounds of "Cavern of the Arkati", but it represents all deities, not just the Arkati. Not sure if that's a major issue in deciding upon the name though.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/04/2011 09:36 PM CDT
The Cave of Conversion!
___
GemStone IV will be up shortly!
Sorry guys, my bad :(
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/04/2011 10:26 PM CDT
The Holey of Holies.

Dgry
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/04/2011 11:20 PM CDT
"the pit of despair. . . "

Doug
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/05/2011 01:14 AM CDT
"Arianiss' Last Gasp"

(only people who were there, and know me, will get it)
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/05/2011 10:37 AM CDT
The Vault of Wisdom

The Realm of the Powers

The Domain of the Divine

Captain Billy's Whizbang

Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/05/2011 11:25 AM CDT
>> but it represents all deities, not just the Arkati<<

Psh, who cares about those lesser spirits...

Says the Onarian player.
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/06/2011 08:53 AM CDT
The Cave of Wonders!

~D
AIM: Delcian

"Only after disaster can we be resurrected." - TD
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/06/2011 10:52 AM CDT
>>Cave of Wonders<<

Ugh... if everyone bursts in to song... I'm leaving.
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/19/2011 03:43 PM CDT
Cavern of the Ancients

Temple of the Dragonspine

Just a few of my ideas.
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/19/2011 09:26 PM CDT
The Wholly Holy Holey?

~Godefroy

Morvule hisses, "Ssssally ssssellssss sssseashellssss by the sssseasssshore."
Re: Symbol of the Proselyte (340) Testing 06/21/2011 04:58 PM CDT
Any sort of update on this Estild? Do you need more people to test it? Did they find major bugs over on the test server and the repairs are underway? Is it going live in Prime soon?

Just wondering.