Detect Alignment 01/10/2018 01:47 AM CST
I got to thinking, Liabo/Lornon alignment could play a big part in your RP, or possibly story lines that involve such.

Why don't Clerics have an ability to detect such, like the old DnD Detect Good/Evil/Law/Chaos? Detect Alignment could be a Cleric guild skill, or even a Cantrip, like a level 0 spell (300, as 1700 has set the stage for level 0 spells) or even just tied directly into the DETECT verb for Clerics.

With the basic ability you could see if they're Liabo, Lornon, Neutral, or Unaligned. With Spiritual Lore-Religion training, you could see what their exact Deity was

Example: DETECT ALIGNMENT <Warrior> - <Warrior> pulses with dark energy. (Lornon aligned, no Religion training) With Religion training, you might see "<Warrior> has the visage of a red scimitar on him" indicating he follows V'tull.

Naturally, each Arkati would have their custom messages.
Re: Detect Alignment 01/10/2018 05:50 AM CST
I'd be fine with this as so long as there was a system to protect yourself from said detection. Unpresence immediately springs to mind.

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"
Re: Detect Alignment 01/10/2018 05:52 AM CST
Sorry for the double post.

Well of Life (308) does have this feature already: Training in Religion Lore increases the chance for the cleric and target to become aware of each other's chosen deity.

But I agree there is some value in being able to assess someone's alignment without having to murder them first.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Detect Alignment 01/10/2018 05:56 AM CST
>But I agree there is some value in being able to assess someone's alignment without having to murder them first.

308 is usable on the living as well as the dead (the typical use being to save certain society members from an imminent spirit death)
Re: Detect Alignment 01/10/2018 10:11 AM CST
Does the ability to detect deity alignment work on the living?

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Detect Alignment 01/10/2018 12:23 PM CST
I assume it does, but I've never walked into TSC and cast it at everybody to check.
Re: Detect Alignment 01/10/2018 12:38 PM CST

>Does the ability to detect deity alignment work on the living?

No. Messaging for living is just a shaft of light (or crackling if they're full on spirit). The deity messaging is part of the 'souls linking' messaging, which you only see when casting at corpses.
Re: Detect Alignment 01/10/2018 01:09 PM CST
If it were added as a feature amongst the living I would hope there would be some way to block it or force an endroll. Otherwise, like I said, a good suggestion.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Detect Alignment 01/10/2018 01:52 PM CST
"If it were added as a feature amongst the living I would hope there would be some way to block it" -- Evarin

Stop oppressing my culture!

(And see also, Order of the Stick: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0202.html )
Re: Detect Alignment 01/12/2018 01:47 AM CST
It sounds like it could work well with sense since that gives you any spiritual influence right now. Perhaps it could be targeted to do the same with conversion? Unpresence makes sense to block it, but it could also be something you need to be in a person's group to do?

_ _ _
Myasara says, "Raining rocks down on my city was not the best course of action."