Runestones 08/13/2015 10:43 PM CDT
The idea of expanding the use of runestones for clerics has been floating around in my mind lately. Specifically... each deity should have a rune.

I think the only application they would have right now is access to other flavors of major sanctuaries, but maybe some day this could be expanded to spirit servants, just like the other runes? And perhaps even certain other spells with deity flavoring.

My first idea was to give clerics inherent knowledge of all the deity runes, but make it so that you had much, much lower chances of success (or maybe even make it impossible) to use runes from opposing alignments.

Then I was thinking it may be better to have only a limited number of such runes known, which you can increase and choose based on Spirit Lore religion.

But my most recent idea, and the one I like perhaps the most (and maybe easiest to implement with the existing framework), would be to make them uncommon runes, give each cleric inherent knowledge of their deity's rune, with the ability to teach to others. That way some RP is involved in seeking other sanctuaries/blessings of other deities from other clerics... and since you're limited to five, you would want to pick some kind of a logical, in-character mini-pantheon of deities (other than your own) whose blessing you may want to seek from time to time.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Re: Runestones 08/14/2015 12:44 AM CDT
>But my most recent idea, and the one I like perhaps the most (and maybe easiest to implement with the existing framework), would be to make them uncommon runes, give each cleric inherent knowledge of their deity's rune, with the ability to teach to others. That way some RP is involved in seeking other sanctuaries/blessings of other deities from other clerics... and since you're limited to five, you would want to pick some kind of a logical, in-character mini-pantheon of deities (other than your own) whose blessing you may want to seek from time to time.

I like this idea a lot.
Re: Runestones 08/14/2015 12:25 PM CDT
I too like this idea a lot.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein
Re: Runestones 08/14/2015 12:32 PM CDT
One thing to note - runestones do work with spirit servants now.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Runestones 08/14/2015 03:16 PM CDT
>One thing to note - runestones do work with spirit servants now.

Thanks, I think my post was inartfully worded there. This is actually what I mainly use runestones for now, and I'm a big fan of this. (A useful reminder, though... I've run into folks who missed the memo on this!)

What I meant was that if deity-specific servants are ever implemented (in the proposed orison guild skill, or otherwise) this idea might add something to that.
Re: Runestones 08/15/2015 01:07 AM CDT
To add to Estild's note, those same runestones also produce the appropriate Major Sanctuary.

But... deity flavor is... sacrilicious...

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein