Bard Ideas 07/02/2015 03:28 AM CDT
Everything that follows is in a very rough draft state, but my subscription is going to run out very soon so I thought I’d post it. It hasn’t been balanced, it’s just ideas that popped into my head and I tried to get them down. I have other ideas in other docs, but I can’t find them ATM. I know I misplaced a lot of my ideas, but 1050 was a Pied Piper of Hamelin type of mass charm ability for all creaures in the room, it might take more than one cast to “charm” the creatures sort of link UAC ranking up to fully charm them. Would have success tiers like 1005. The charm 1050 spell could also be augmented to PULL creatures from adjacent rooms into the Bard’s current room with the Diffract performance ability (below). The charm spell would somewhat have the flavor of enlisting conscripts for the greater good. Charmed creatures would function in much the same way as creatures via Animate Dead. Undead and Demonic creatures would be incredibly difficult to charm. Telepathy lore would play a major role in the spell. “Build me an army worthy of Bardor,” and all that jazz. It looks like I have permanently lost all of my other ideas, but maybe this will get the ball rolling. Again, these ideas aren't balanced and some are just kinda stupid.

---
(consider tense)
Bard Spellsongs typically fall into three categories: over-powered, under-powered, or simply out of date given the new mechanics of GSIV. The majority of the problem stems from the fact that Sonic Disruption (i.e., 1030) is ridiculously overpowered compared to other CS spells. What makes 1030 powerful is the inherently low Bardic TD of creatures coupled with the massive scaling from manipulation lore (i.e., increases successful CS resolutions by up to 60 and potentially free via instruments!). The result of 1030 being so good means there are very few situations when casting any other spell is more advantageous. Additionally, 1035 is incredibly powerful, but only with extensive lore training as 75 ranks of Air Lore increases the base haste effect by 200%. These two spells account for most of offensive capabilities of Bards, but to such a degree that they outpace every profession. The goal of this redesign is to reduce the power of 1030 and 1035, and in so doing, redistribute the power to other Spellsongs while opening up additional options for combat effectiveness. As an example, Stunning Shout is hilariously bad compared to 1030 which costs only 2 more mana if 1030 is in the Renewal Cycle. The general mechanics of Spellsongs need to be updated, reduced in complexity, and made easier for lower level bards to use frequently. To achieve this, five components of Spellsongs need to be redesigned: (1) Renewals, (2) Multi-Song Penalty, (3) Spell Hindrance, (4) Instrument Implementation, and (5) Performance Abilities.

Spellsong Renewal
>>Spellsong Renewals are needlessly complex and overly punishing to new Bards, especially Bards with poor Influence. A Bard under a status effect (e.g., stunned, silenced, immobilized) prevents Renewal; this creates a chance of completely losing all their Spellsongs. Bards will eventually get 1040 allowing a chance at removing status effects, but not if the status effects are coupled with RT, which is often the case. Simply put, Renewals inevitably cause Bards to experience dire circumstances that no other profession experiences and causes potentially dramatic loss of mana during combat. This may be uniquely flavorful, but it is not fun.

(1) Remove Renewal entirely.
(2) When a Bard casts an ongoing passive spell, instead of expending mana, the maximum mana of the Bard is reduced while the Spellsong is active.
(3) Spellsongs remain active indefinitely until dispelled or the Bard uses the STOP <Spellsong> verb. Less Tedium; More Fun.
(4) The reduction of (2) is roughly 1/4 the level of the Spellsong.

Multi-Song Penalty
>>The MSP makes wearing all Spellsongs learned prohibitive at early levels. As a result, a lower level bard simply cannot wear all their spells and have enough mana to cast spells in combat.

(1) Multi-Song Penalty removed entirely.

Spell Hindrance
>>Perhaps the biggest benefit of Spellsongs is the ability to bypass the negative effects of Spell Hindrance. Sufficient Armor Training allows Bards to cast in Augmented Chain at 8% spell failure. However, when the inevitable spell failure from Spell Hindrance occurs, it causes zero Soft Roundtime and zero mana loss; the Bard can simply cast the spell again without consequence. This is simply too powerful an ability.

(1) Spell Hindrance failure now causes the Bard to lose mana as per usual
(2) Spell Hindrance failure now causes 3 seconds of Soft Roundtime.

Instruments
>>The current implementation of instruments is either severely lacking or grossly overpowered. Only three Spellsongs (i.e., Song of Holding, Traveler’s Song, and Song of Disruption) incorporate instruments. The former two having a poor benefit and the latter granting a massive benefit (i.e., up to 60 ranks of manipulation lore for an adept with a Two-Handed Instrument). Another problem with the current instrument implementation is that players can write macros or lich scripts to cast Spellsongs with very little worry about being attacked by a creature while still holding their instrument thereby gaining the full benefit of using an instrument with none of the risk.

Mechanics:
(1) While holding an instrument, the Bard may use the PLAY verb to execute a Spellsong.
(2) Given (1), causes 3 seconds of Hard Roundtime and Cast Roundtime.
(3) Given (1), the effective outcome of successful CS Spellsongs is similarly to CHANNEL per stance level above Defensive.
(4) Given (3), the effective outcome is multiplied by 2 for two-handed instruments.
(5) The Bard may use the SING verb to execute a Spellsong.
(6) Given (5), causes 3 seconds of Hard Roundtime and Cast Roundtime.
(7) Given (5), the effective outcome of successful CS Spellsongs is increased by 2 per stance level above Defensive.

Performance System
>>The Performance System allows Bards to diversify their build paths and augment their Spellsongs. A Bard gains 1 Performance Point per Spellsong rank to spend towards Performance abilities. Performance Abilities cost Stamina to activate; the greater the stamina cost, the greater the effects. These abilities can be triggered using the PREFORM verb when a Spellsong is prepared.

Syntax:
>>(PERFORM) (Ability) (Optional Target)

Mechanics:
(1) Using PERFORM causes 3 seconds of Hard Roundtime and Cast Roundtime.
(2) If the Bard is holding an instrument, PLAY effects apply.
(3) If the Bard is holding an instrument, the Stamina cost for the Performance ability is reduced by 10% for one-handed instruments or 20% for two-handed instruments.
(4) If the Bard is not holding an instrument, SING effects apply.
Resonate
>>The Bard is able to cast in heavier armor.
RankPriceCostEffect
123+(2 + Rank)% Spellsong Hindrance reduction (additive); +(50 + 10 * Rank)% mana loss reduction on failure (multiplicative); +1 Cast Roundtime reduction on failure.
234+(2 + Rank)% Spellsong Hindrance reduction (additive); +(50 + 10 * Rank)% mana loss reduction on failure (multiplicative); +1 Cast Roundtime reduction on failure.
345+(2 + Rank)% Spellsong Hindrance reduction (additive); +(50 + 10 * Rank)% mana loss reduction on failure (multiplicative); +2 Cast Roundtime reduction on failure.
455+(2 + Rank)% Spellsong Hindrance reduction (additive); +(50 + 10 * Rank)% mana loss reduction on failure (multiplicative); +2 Cast Roundtime reduction on failure.
565+(2 + Rank)% Spellsong Hindrance reduction (additive); +(50 + 10 * Rank)% mana loss reduction on failure (multiplicative); +3 Cast Roundtime reduction on failure.

Diffract
>>Spellsongs that target 2 or more creatures now affect adjacent rooms.
RankPriceCostEffect
1230AoE Spellsongs target all adjacent rooms with a -20 CS penalty.
2345AoE Spellsongs target all adjacent rooms with a -15 CS penalty.
3460AoE Spellsongs target all adjacent rooms with a -10 CS penalty.
4560AoE Spellsongs target all adjacent rooms with a -5 CS penalty.
5660AoE Spellsongs target all adjacent rooms with no CS penalty.

Improvise
>>Spellsong mana cost is reduced and replaced by stamina.
RankPriceCostEffect
12Varies+(10 * Rank)% mana cost reduction; stamina cost == mana cost reduction.
23Varies+(10 * Rank)% mana cost reduction; stamina cost == mana cost reduction.
34Varies+(10 * Rank)% mana cost reduction; stamina cost == mana cost reduction.
45Varies+(10 * Rank)% mana cost reduction; stamina cost == mana cost reduction.
56Varies+(10 * Rank)% mana cost reduction; stamina cost == mana cost reduction.

Intensify
>>Increase the power of a Spellsong for each additional second channeled. A minimum of 3 seconds to a maximum of 6 seconds may be channeled.
RankPriceCostEffect
1210+(2 + Rank) effective outcome per second channeled.
2315+(2 + Rank) effective outcome per second channeled.
3420+(2 + Rank) effective outcome per second channeled.
4520+(2 + Rank) effective outcome per second channeled.
5620+(2 + Rank) effective outcome per second channeled.

Reverberate
>>The Bard is now able to bounce sound waves from target to target. Single-target Spellsongs may now affect multiple targets.
RankPriceCostEffect
1210Single-target Spellsongs may now affect 1 + Ranks targets
2315Single-target Spellsongs may now affect 1 + Ranks targets
3420Single-target Spellsongs may now affect 1 + Ranks targets
4520Single-target Spellsongs may now affect 1 + Ranks targets
5620Single-target Spellsongs may now affect 1 + Ranks targets

Amplyify
>>The Bard is now able to focus sound waves at a single target.
RankPriceCostEffect
127CS d100 roll == 20 + d80
2312CS d100 roll == 30 + d70
3415CS d100 roll == 40 + d60
4515CS d100 roll == 50 + d50
5615CS d100 roll == 60 + d40

Virtuoso
>>The Bard is now able to focus sound waves at a single target.
RankPriceCostEffect
12VariesCS d100 roll == 20 + d80
23VariesCS d100 roll == 30 + d70
34VariesCS d100 roll == 40 + d60
45VariesCS d100 roll == 50 + d50
56VariesCS d100 roll == 60 + d40

Charisma
>>The Bard is naturally charismatic.
RankPriceCostEffect
1210+Ranks to Influence Bonus.
2315+Ranks to Influence Bonus.
3420+Ranks to Influence Bonus.
4520+Ranks to Influence Bonus.
5620+Ranks to Influence Bonus.

Beguile
>>The Bard is captivates their audience.
RankPriceCostEffect
1210+1 second of Hard Roundtime to affected targets.
2315+2 second of Hard Roundtime to affected targets.
3420+3 second of Hard Roundtime to affected targets.
4520+4 second of Hard Roundtime to affected targets.
5620+5 second of Hard Roundtime to affected targets.

Harmonize
>>Benefits with other Bards playing instruments in group a la Phalanx. Capped at two other grouped.
RankPriceCostEffect
12-All grouped Bards gain +1 CS per rank of Harmonize.
23-All grouped Bards gain +2 CS per rank of Harmonize.
34-All grouped Bards gain +3 CS per rank of Harmonize.
45-All grouped Bards gain +4 CS per rank of Harmonize.
56-All grouped Bards gain +5 CS per rank of Harmonize.

Cacophony
>>Gain disruption flares
RankPriceCostEffect
12-15% Chance to cause disruption crit; capped crit rank 4
23-15% Chance to cause disruption crit; capped crit rank 5
34-20% Chance to cause disruption crit; capped crit rank 5
45-20% Chance to cause disruption crit; capped crit rank 6
56-20% Chance to cause disruption crit; capped crit rank 7

Exhilarate
>>Bonus dodge ranks after performing a Spellsong a la Shield Forward.
RankPriceCostEffect
12-10 dodge ranks for group for 15 seconds after casting a Spellong
23-15 dodge ranks for group for 15 seconds after casting a Spellong
34-20 dodge ranks for group for 15 seconds after casting a Spellong
45-25 dodge ranks for group for 15 seconds after casting a Spellong
56-30 dodge ranks for group for 15 seconds after casting a Spellong

Mind Blank
>>Something, Something Descriptoin
RankPriceCostEffect
12-10 dodge ranks for group for 15 seconds after casting a Spellong
23-15 dodge ranks for group for 15 seconds after casting a Spellong
34-20 dodge ranks for group for 15 seconds after casting a Spellong
45-25 dodge ranks for group for 15 seconds after casting a Spellong
56-30 dodge ranks for group for 15 seconds after casting a Spellong

_

SPELLSONG REVIEW

Random Idea: MIRTH! +1 TREASURE CLASS RANK + X per Y Skill

The redesign for specific Bard Spellsongs takes into account the following guiding principles:
(1) Strong AoE Buffs
(2) Strong AoE Debuffs
(3) Strong AoE Damage
(4) Strong Utility
(5) Activated Effects for Persistent Spells
(6) Lore can, at most, increase the effectiveness of a spell by 100%. 1035 is a horribly designed spell in that Air Lore contributes more to the overall effect of the Spellsong than the Spellsong itself. Additionally, Break Point Thresholds for effects derived from Lore training will be removed entirely if possible.

Cost: 1 Mana per target
DS Reduced by Seed 10% + 1% per 10 Outcome Margin; capped at 15%
Every 10 combined EMC + MMC inceases targets by 1

Cost: 2 mana
Outcome Margin of 1 to 50 = Shake item loose; RT = trunc(Outcome Margin / 10); min 1
Outcome Margin of 51+ = Expload item if possible if not; RT = trunc(Outcome Margin / 10); min 1
Impact critical targets hand of item held
ML:M 30 Ranks unlocks Shrapnel. Initial Target automatically hit. Targets all creatures in room; Standard Maneuver Roll. Puncture criticals.
>Diffract + 1002 = Awesome

Cost: Reduce max mana by 1 + 1 per (Spellsong Ranks - 3) * Seed 10
Remove DS benefit
Increase Resistance to all damage types by 10% + 1% per (Spellsong Ranks - 3) * Seed 10; Spellsong Ranks capped by Level
Can be RENEWed. Doubles resistance for 30 seconds.

Cost: 4 mana per cast
Remove Random chance to Orb Gem
Every 25 ranks of the sum of MMC and EMC allows Bard to infused an additional cast at no extra RT
Orb Mechanic:
Orb gem by prep 1004
PURIFY <gem>. Chance to Orb = (Bard Level) + (ML:M Ranks) + (Spellsong Ranks) + d100 - (Cost of gem / 50) >= 100 = Success.
Bards may now create Fusion Orbs: Requires orb gem. Must use "laboratory" in Bard guild. May fuse multiple orb gems of same type together to create Fusion Orb. Fusing multiple gems together increases chance of success as cost of precious monies gotten from selling gems. Place all orb gems of same time in "container" in "laboratory" in Bard guild. Chance to Fuse = (Bard Level) + (ML:M Ranks) + (Spellsong Ranks) + d100 - (Average Cost of Orb Gems in "container" / (10 * Orb Gems in "container")) >= 100 = Success. PREP 1004; FUSE "container"
Potential Charges = Average cost of orb gems fused / 100.
With Fusion Orb, Bard may infused with new Spellsong 1009 Song of Inspiration.
PREP 1009 <skill>;INFUSE fusion_orb;Charges expend 25 mana per charge infused.
Bard Fusion Orbs CANNOT be recharged. Type of skill or stat chosen during FUSE verb. Bards can also create Mage Rechargeable gems with extreme training. Naturally occurring Mage Rechargable gems used in fusion process greatly increases success.

Cost: 5 mana
Transparent CS spell roll
Remove INF bonus
Increase successful Outcome by 3 * ML:T Seed 1
30 Ranks of ML:T; Unlock ability to Sleep Undead
Slightly reduce overall success, backfill with Telep Lore such that high training in Telep lore would be a net gain.

Cost: Reduce Maximum mana by 2 + trunc((Spellsong Ranks - 6) / 12)
Chance to trigger second roll (25 + trunc((Spellsong Ranks - 6) / 2))% for Standard Maneuver Roll, CML, Disarming
Bard may RENEW 1006 for 2 + trunc((Spellsong Ranks - 6) / 12 mana to have Song of Luck affect AS, DS, CS, TD, Lockpicking rolls for 30 seconds

Cost: Reduce Maximum mana by 2 + 1 per 3 AS over 10
Bard may RENEW 1007 for 7 mana

Redesigned entirely because lol@1008

Cost: 9 Mana
Sonic Shield, Sonic Weapon, and Sonic Armor consolidated into 1014 Sonic Armament
New Spellsong: Song of Inspiration
Increase selected skill of target by 10 + 1 per Seed 5 ML:T
Duration: 300 seconds + 30 seconds for Spellsong rank
Not stackable
New casts on targets replace skill boost
syntax: cast <skill> {option:target}

Cost: Reduce maximum mana by 3 + trunc((Spellsong Ranks - 10) / 8)
Bard may RENEW 1010 to have all those grouped with the Bard to remove all fear-based effects and become immune to fear based effects for 30 seconds for 3 mana.

No Changes

See Sonic Armament

Replace with Mirth. Spellsong increases Treasure Class of creature.

Alter mana extraction
Mana extracted = (Spellsong Ranks) + (1 per 5 Outcome Margin) +/- 10;
Mana absorbed = MMC + EMC ranks; capped by Mana extracted

Cost: 3 per item
Condensed sonic weapon, shield, armor
Can cast two weapons now, lasts 10 seconds when not in hand like current 1009 implemenation
Can create bows (long overdue). Each fire costs 3 mana - 1 per 10 combined EMC or MMC; min 1 mana
20 Air Lore unlocks ability to FIRE verb to immediately generate an arrow for sonic bow at cost of 3 mana - 1 per 10 combined EMC or MMC (no RT); min 1 mana.
20 Air Lore unlocks ability to immediately regenerate hurled weapon for 3 mana - 1 per 10 combined EMC or MMC (no RT); min 1 mana
30 Air Lore unlocks offensive flares for shield, and reactive flares for armor

Cost: 15 mana
15 ML:T ability to cast on single target for 5 mana.
TD also affects initial cast

No changes because I have not thought of anything

Something Something Redesign

Cost: -
All group members have increased max mana by 10 + trunc((Spellsongs Ranks - 18) / 2)
RENEW 1018 to instantly restore 40% missing mana + 60% maximum mana over 60 seconds, 6% every 10 seconds. When used this way, goes on cooldown for 10 minutes.

Cost: Reduce maximum mana by 6 + trunc((Spellsongs Ranks - 19) / 2)
Create mirorr image which creatures can target. Attacks of any type (CS/AS/CML/Maneuvers) have a 1% * Seed 5 Air Lore chance to automatically fail.

No changes

Seriously need to re-evaluate the weapon speeds for the weapons used. Personally hate the implementation of this spell, it is too slow.

Keep DF at .6
Reduce ML:M Outcome Maring scaling
Add ML:M
Damage from disruption criticals aligned with Disruption Critical Table
No longer reduced mana cost when in "renewal" cycle
Additional Crit cycles may occur at a rate of 1% per Seed 10 combined Mana Control Ranks.

Redesigned
Bard sings Tonis and it stays active indefinitely.
However, each RT reduced consumes 1-3 mana.
so Bard would burn through mana insanely fast.
Bard can reduce up to 3 + 20% chance per Seed 3 air lore
the 1-3 mana would scale over time, the first minute is 1 mana, second minute 2 mana, any time past the second minute costs 3 mana. You can buy more "time" with EMC such that the intervals are increased by 3 seconds per seed 5 EMC
Re: Bard Ideas 07/02/2015 08:52 AM CDT
Very interesting compilation effort!

feedback & comments

Renewal
- Points 2 & 4 combined, why not just make the reduction the current Renewal cost?
- And having just said that... Unfortunately, even though (on the whole) I like the whole mechanic--I think it was even suggested back in the mid-2000s when Solli was making lots of changes--I think the net reduction needs to be higher. Otherwise, getting two or three +MaxMana Enhancives spread across a ring, a necklace, and an earring turns the entire thing into a wash, and hey look, free spell effects! We would probably need to ramp it up to over half (>50%) of the base mana cost of the spell, just to cut down on the bitching from everyone else.

MSP
- I think an increased cost--representing the effort to keep your magics harmonized with each other--is reasonable, I just dislike the fact that it's plus twelve (+12) mana per spell. Why not keep MSP as a +1/Song in the Medley additional cost to the Renewal change?
(So, singing a 4-Song medley with renewals of 1, 3, 4, and 6 costs me 14 mana reduced from my maximum; since I am singing 4 Songs there is an additional surcharge of 3; my net max mana is reduced by 17.)

Hindrance
- I agree, even though I hate to lose it. It's just too powerful. Reminds me of the "Cleric repel spells, casting 25th level spell at any Undead over 24th level [i.e. for most of the game], final result of 101-149 == 0 mana used and follow it to the next room; >=150 == mana cost of ONE (1 mana) and it dies, gimme the experience."

Performance System
- What is the difference between your 'price' and 'cost' columns?
- What is the difference between the 'Amplify' and 'Virtuoso' skills?
- Using 'Beguile', for example, is there a warding effect? Some pre-existing condition that need be on the creatures (like Song of Rage [normally changes stance] or Song of Depression [normally adds RT])? Or is it just a non-Warding based way of dishing out even more RT than Depression ever could? (And by the way, for +5RT, the activation cost needs to be higher than remaining at 20 for the top three levels' effects.)
- Ah-HAH! 'price' is the SpellSong Points that you pay to learn the ability? 'cost' is what you pay [stamina] to activate it?

SpellSong changes
- Too much power for too little cost, with Performances. I don't care if your 'Diffract' performance from above continued at +15/rank, so it cost 90 stamina [hell, do it the same as renewals, and subtract running Performances from your max available stamina] at rank 5, casting a 2-mana VibChant and damaging everything in your room and the connected rooms is too much.
- Can your Song of Inspiration/1009 be cast on the Bard (to improve his own skill at something)? What if the target knows more about SkillX than the Bard does, does the target still gain?
- Unravel/1013 should still be lossy, even as moving mana from person to person. Maybe less so (since the wand has no faulty skill to make up for) but it should never be perfect.
- Sonic Equipment Song/1014 Lore payoffs come too early. A Premium account can get a +7-rank Enhancive and have both of the 20-rank benefits before the Bard can cast the spell. 60th level is considered 'halfway through the game'. Consider stepping things back to 20/30/40 ranks, or even 20/40/60.
- Song of Power/1018 gives free mana on command? Even with a cooldown, it's pretty extreme. At least retain the 'save versus death or die' mechanic that is on it now, if you trigger the mana by renewing.
- Dancing Weapon/1025. Include in the revamp the fact that the magically animated weapon that is dancing around in mid-air and being mentally controlled by the Bard should totally NOT have its attack affected by the Bard being prone! WTH?!?
- Disruption/1030: So, 13% chance (with fully singled in each Mana Control and a +6 Enhancive from somewhere) at cap of additional crit cycle? And when you say to align the damage, do you mean that instead of getting a random crit result (which might be lethal) you would instead get a crit result tied to the damage inflicted [like a weapon inflicting crit rank damage]?
- Tonis/1035: very interesting. You went with MC:Elemental only, given that it's an Air-type spell?

Extremely creative list of proposals.

'Performance' ties in nicely with the CMan, ArmMan, and ShiMan system already in place, and would presumably be easily implemented in addition. (Not certain I agree with all of the effects, but it's certainly a starting point.)
Re: Bard Ideas 07/02/2015 10:26 AM CDT
Random thoughts and questions from me... with the current system allowing many spells to be 'renewed' to recast would you like to see the possibility of spell failure on renew via armor hinderance? Would it be an all or nothing event or would each buff make its own roll?

1008: I disagree it is useless. As a primary hunting spell it isnt any good. It does have some value as a group hunting spell. Especially if you are helping someone significantly under you hunt where most other abilities would cause the target to go 'splat'. Does this use justify an entire spell slot? To me yes. But that is just an opinion.

1003: does need something. I am not sure resistance is it. It is by far the worst professional DS buff (by benefit : mana cost). Resistance made a lot of sense from tbe design stand point for monks with their slower combat. I do not know if it does for us.

1035: I find the idea interesting. I personally disagree that allowing bards to skip using haste imbeds is the kind of big deal most people make it out to be. Especially when self cast the spell is imo inferior to haste (a much lower level spell) but I digress. I can put haste rods in my wand eater gloves so easily it doesn't matter.

1030: La sigh. I also don't agree it is the best single target spell in the game. Against unstunnables 711 is far safer. 720 has far better killing power and AoE stuns. The most damaging spell by time AND mana in the game is probably 'summon taverkin' Who can kill 90%+ of creatures in the game in under 10 mana and in sub 1 second. Post cap my opinion could be changed... but for now I will keep watching a sorc instantly implode things 8 levels over themselves that I had a 50% to ward at the same level and that would take me 50-60 mana to kill.

1014: How would you go about specifying all of the options you want it to cover? Also as stated even the threat of dispel would make it impossible to use nothing but sonics.... and the armor is already hard to justify using because of dispel, no ensorcel, impact weakness, and how fittings work.

I do really find the idea of reduced max mana interesting instead of renewing. I am soooo used to renewing that I haven't 'failed a renew' mid hunt in ages. But taking the tedium out of it is not a bad idea. I will say I LIKE the fact that those who decide to tank a prime stat are punished for it. But the two things are not mutually exclusive.

Tal.
Re: Bard Ideas 07/02/2015 02:45 PM CDT
<<<1035: I find the idea interesting. I personally disagree that allowing bards to skip using haste imbeds is the kind of big deal most people make it out to be. Especially when self cast the spell is imo inferior to haste (a much lower level spell) but I digress. I can put haste rods in my wand eater gloves so easily it doesn't matter.>>>

1035 is superior to haste in several notable ways:

1. All its haste and defensive benefits apply to your entire group.
2. It provides a base of +20 dodge ranks. This can be raised to 40 ranks with Air Lore. That's a lot of extra DS.
3. The duration can be extended with ranks in Mental Lore: Telepathy. 20 ranks adds 20 seconds, which is quite a noticeable difference.

To summarize, for a measly 30 ranks of air lore and 20 ranks of Telepathy, you get 120 seconds of -2 haste and +30 dodging ranks, all applied to your entire group. That's incredibly sweet. Inferior to haste? No way!

~ GtG
Re: Bard Ideas 07/02/2015 03:33 PM CDT
>>Random thoughts and questions from me... with the current system allowing many spells to be 'renewed' to recast would you like to see the possibility of spell failure on renew via armor hinderance? Would it be an all or nothing event or would each buff make its own roll?

Unknown. What do you suggest?

>>1008: I disagree it is useless. As a primary hunting spell it isnt any good. It does have some value as a group hunting spell. Especially if you are helping someone significantly under you hunt where most other abilities would cause the target to go 'splat'. Does this use justify an entire spell slot? To me yes. But that is just an opinion.

What is this group you speak of? -_-

The spell could use some more spice, though. It's almost entirely worthless vs non-corp.

>>1003: does need something. I am not sure resistance is it. It is by far the worst professional DS buff (by benefit : mana cost). Resistance made a lot of sense from tbe design stand point for monks with their slower combat. I do not know if it does for us.

I couldn't think of a better idea at the time. I like resistances because it captures both AS/DS, CS/TD, and SMR resolutions. It's just not very exciting.

>>1035: I find the idea interesting. I personally disagree that allowing bards to skip using haste imbeds is the kind of big deal most people make it out to be. Especially when self cast the spell is imo inferior to haste (a much lower level spell) but I digress. I can put haste rods in my wand eater gloves so easily it doesn't matter.

What I don't like is that lore is required to get 200% of the base benefit of the spell. I would think lore at maximum should improve the base effects by 100% just from a design philosophy, but certainly exceptions can exist.

>>1030: La sigh. I also don't agree it is the best single target spell in the game. Against unstunnables 711 is far safer. 720 has far better killing power and AoE stuns. The most damaging spell by time AND mana in the game is probably 'summon taverkin' Who can kill 90%+ of creatures in the game in under 10 mana and in sub 1 second. Post cap my opinion could be changed... but for now I will keep watching a sorc instantly implode things 8 levels over themselves that I had a 50% to ward at the same level and that would take me 50-60 mana to kill.

If you're a pure bard, unstunnables should be missing a hand, arm, leg, if not dead. That's pretty safe! For 720, gotta get dem lewtz though! I bet dollars to donuts Rapid Fire is getting nerfed hard with the E-Lore review. If you're a pure trained bard you should be smoking things easily with 1030 not having a 50% ward chance. Are you maximizing your potential for the spell? It felt totally unfair when I was playing Gnimble using 1030.

>>1014: How would you go about specifying all of the options you want it to cover? Also as stated even the threat of dispel would make it impossible to use nothing but sonics.... and the armor is already hard to justify using because of dispel, no ensorcel, impact weakness, and how fittings work.

Didn't even think about dispel, honestly. Maybe each would count as it's own entity for the purposes of dispel? I don't have a good answer, I just wanted open spell slots :D

>>I do really find the idea of reduced max mana interesting instead of renewing. I am soooo used to renewing that I haven't 'failed a renew' mid hunt in ages. But taking the tedium out of it is not a bad idea. I will say I LIKE the fact that those who decide to tank a prime stat are punished for it. But the two things are not mutually exclusive.

I felt it was an elegant way to wrap all the complexity into a single mechanic. It might not be or it might present other problems.
Re: Bard Ideas 07/02/2015 03:34 PM CDT
>>Points 2 & 4 combined, why not just make the reduction the current Renewal cost?

I had thought about it and figured that reduction of overall mana is more punishing than renewals because you'll be pulsing mana for less in the field and on a node. This gives the Bard less overall mana to work with while hunting.

>>And having just said that... Unfortunately, even though (on the whole) I like the whole mechanic--I think it was even suggested back in the mid-2000s when Solli was making lots of changes--I think the net reduction needs to be higher.

Yeah, I can definitely see that.

>>Otherwise, getting two or three +MaxMana Enhancives spread across a ring, a necklace, and an earring turns the entire thing into a wash, and hey look, free spell effects!

Well, spellcasters now already can do effectively had free spells, right? Spell up at chosen node then wait to hunt with max mana. I don't this as being too much an issue, but I just simply haven't thought it all out yet.

>>We would probably need to ramp it up to over half (>50%) of the base mana cost of the spell, just to cut down on the bitching from everyone else.

Certainly a possibility. We would definitely have to see how the whole thing shakes out. I tried to do that but the introduction of new spells, mods to existing spells, new mechanics, alterations to existing mechanics, etc. It's hard for me, personally, to wrap my head around balance before nailing down a vision.

>>I think an increased cost--representing the effort to keep your magics harmonized with each other--is reasonable, I just dislike the fact that it's plus twelve (+12) mana per spell. Why not keep MSP as a +1/Song in the Medley additional cost to the Renewal change? (So, singing a 4-Song medley with renewals of 1, 3, 4, and 6 costs me 14 mana reduced from my maximum; since I am singing 4 Songs there is an additional surcharge of 3; my net max mana is reduced by 17.)

I would much rather put the effective mana costs via MSP into Renewal costs of core spells (mirrors/valor/?). Just one less thing to keep track of, one less thing for new players to get confused by, reduces overall complexity.

>>I agree, even though I hate to lose it. It's just too powerful. Reminds me of the "Cleric repel spells, casting 25th level spell at any Undead over 24th level [i.e. for most of the game], final result of 101-149 == 0 mana used and follow it to the next room; >=150 == mana cost of ONE (1 mana) and it dies, gimme the experience."

Having been hunting with the Paladin, with Rank 4 Armored Fluidity, I'm so frustrated with Spell Hindrance that I got 50 ranks of Summoning Lore to infuse 5 charges of 1615 into my spikestar so I could bypass hindrance because I've become so accustomed to how awesome it is to not have hindrance.

>>What is the difference between your 'price' and 'cost' columns?

Price == Performance Point Costs
Cost == Stamina Costs

I don't think I did any balance there as I was just copying and pasting. Some of these abilities are going to be through the roof OP.

>>What is the difference between the 'Amplify' and 'Virtuoso' skills?

I have no idea ... I mucked up the C&P. Amplify is correct, like a truehand effect. Virtuoso was supposed to be a capstone ability requiring prereqs, kind of like bonding. I honestly can't remember what I had thought up for that ability.

>>Using 'Beguile', for example, is there a warding effect? Some pre-existing condition that need be on the creatures (like Song of Rage [normally changes stance] or Song of Depression [normally adds RT])? Or is it just a non-Warding based way of dishing out even more RT than Depression ever could? (And by the way, for +5RT, the activation cost needs to be higher than remaining at 20 for the top three levels' effects.)

It's supposed to be a modifier to any offensive spellsongs. It's CRAZY strong because it would RT lock the creature so it would need to be redesign or balanced accordingly. Maybe have it be a passive ability that can flare similar to cacophony that gives RT. Maybe make the two, beguile and cacophony mutually exclusive abilities.

>>Too much power for too little cost, with Performances. I don't care if your 'Diffract' performance from above continued at +15/rank, so it cost 90 stamina [hell, do it the same as renewals, and subtract running Performances from your max available stamina] at rank 5, casting a 2-mana VibChant and damaging everything in your room and the connected rooms is too much.

Yeah, it's super OP. Maybe make it once an hour. Blow your vocal cords / numb hands / whatever so no other performance abilities can be played. It would need serious nerfing or attaching riders to it.

>>Can your Song of Inspiration/1009 be cast on the Bard (to improve his own skill at something)? What if the target knows more about SkillX than the Bard does, does the target still gain?

Yeah self and other cast. Helpful for Locksmiths? I dunno. It's more of a "go get em tiger" type of buff. Encouragement and whatnot. The comparative skills of the bard and target won't be taken into effect.

>>Unravel/1013 should still be lossy, even as moving mana from person to person. Maybe less so (since the wand has no faulty skill to make up for) but it should never be perfect.

That's a fair point. I was attempting or initially attempted(?) to position bards as a profession that is mana-centric with 1013, renewals reducing max mana, and Song of Power. It's in other docs and really I can't remember what I was doing with it.

>>Sonic Equipment Song/1014 Lore payoffs come too early. A Premium account can get a +7-rank Enhancive and have both of the 20-rank benefits before the Bard can cast the spell. 60th level is considered 'halfway through the game'. Consider stepping things back to 20/30/40 ranks, or even 20/40/60.

Makes sense.

>>Song of Power/1018 gives free mana on command? Even with a cooldown, it's pretty extreme. At least retain the 'save versus death or die' mechanic that is on it now, if you trigger the mana by renewing.

It's still not as powerful as sign of wracking! I had other ideas for the spell too, but again I lost them. I think I had a doc going where each spell would have a burst or renew effect that would last something like 30 seconds and would be flavorful to the spell in some way.

>>Dancing Weapon/1025. Include in the revamp the fact that the magically animated weapon that is dancing around in mid-air and being mentally controlled by the Bard should totally NOT have its attack affected by the Bard being prone! WTH?!?

I know this has been a point you've brought up over and over and over again. And with good reason! I totally agree. I just really hate the spell in general.

>>Tonis/1035: very interesting. You went with MC:Elemental only, given that it's an Air-type spell?

I did? Yes. I did. I have no good reason why. Maybe I wanted to diversify MC share through the hybrid circle because I think only MMC is currently represented. That sounds good. Let's go with that.

>>'Performance' ties in nicely with the CMan, ArmMan, and ShiMan system already in place, and would presumably be easily implemented in addition. (Not certain I agree with all of the effects, but it's certainly a starting point.)

I wanted bards to feel, well, more musically oriented. Like, priests get their power from dieties and whatnot, Bards get it from manipulating sound waves and emotions. Make them like rock stars? I dunno. Moar music. By using the performance system I wanted to more explicitly build a pure path PLAYing instruments other than ye olde 1030 while at the same time not leaving out non-instrumentalists that can SING the abilities. I don't feel like I really accomplished that, but I guess its a start.

And definitely some would need to be redesigned or nerfed drastically.

How 'bout that 1050 idea?!
Re: Bard Ideas 07/02/2015 03:42 PM CDT
The group aspect is immensely powerful. I am not going to argue about that part. But the people who typically want to see the spell reduced in strength are focused on the benefit for the bard themselves so I am trying to argue it from that side of things. In the spirit of that:

Other then your statement being off by a few seconds (80 second duration with 20 tele ranks) you are definitely right, taken as a package it is a great spellsong. But no one is worried about our 35th level spell providing 2x the DS of mass blur (with 1/60th the duration). It is the rt reduction aspect is what is consistently cited as being 'too powerful', which is not hard to replace. I also think that >20th level spells should be great anyway. That goes for all spells in all circles, with the possible exceptions of the minors. 430 is really good but I don't know if DS/TD spell number 4 in the circle can be considered 'great' or not.

Tal.
Re: Bard Ideas 07/02/2015 04:25 PM CDT
On my 1030 and 50% hitting chance...

I started plane 1 at 69th train. Seras on plane 1 have a base of 78. They are sorcerer/bard hybrid in nature and come with a large number of spells on them. At 70 being 1.5x'd in spells I had about even odds of hitting them. They are also unstunnable (non-corps) that could ward me badly with 705, 715, and 717. So it is probably worst case scenario. But it is worth remembering those do exist and it isn't all Gremlock splatter on the walls.

It just amused me a week ago when I took a 70 sorc in there and the first response they had when they couldn't ward them was to use 720 and the thing went poof... and then the next one did the same... then the next one... etc. Yes no loot of course. If you ignore the 1.5k worth of ensorcel energy per kill.

I'm at work now though so a more detailed response on other questions will have to wait. You mentioned the account closing soon, how long do you have?

Tal.
Re: Bard Ideas 07/02/2015 05:02 PM CDT
<<<Other then your statement being off by a few seconds (80 second duration with 20 tele ranks)>>>

Oops. Of course what I meant was 1:20 seconds. Punctuation matter! In any event...

<<<you are definitely right, taken as a package it is a great spellsong. But no one is worried about our 35th level spell providing 2x the DS of mass blur (with 1/60th the duration). It is the rt reduction aspect is what is consistently cited as being 'too powerful', which is not hard to replace. I also think that >20th level spells should be great anyway. That goes for all spells in all circles, with the possible exceptions of the minors. 430 is really good but I don't know if DS/TD spell number 4 in the circle can be considered 'great' or not.>>>

I didn't realize 1035 was considered "overpowered". I think that's ridiculous. It's a great spell, no question, but, as you pointed out, it should be great for 35th level, especially considering the lore requirements to really unlock its potential. I think it's perfect just the way it is.

~ GtG
Re: Bard Ideas 07/02/2015 08:49 PM CDT
>>You mentioned the account closing soon, how long do you have?

Your account will remain open to the end of your billing cycle, 7/5/2015.

Thank you for the time you have spent in our world. We have tried our best to provide the finest in roleplaying entertainment online, and hope that your experience was a pleasant one. May the memories of your adventures stay with you for a lifetime!

If you want to reactivate the account, please use the following links to reactivate through the web:

GemStone IV: http://www.play.net/gs4/account/reactivate.asp
DragonRealms: http://www.play.net/dr/account/reactivate.asp
Modus Operandi: http://www.play.net/mo/account/reactivate.asp
Alliance of Heroes: http://www.play.net/aoh/account/reactivate.asp
CyberStrike 2: http://www.play.net/cs2/account/reactivate.asp

Simutronics Corporation