Bards, shields, and sonic shield flares 02/11/2014 02:51 PM CST
So, I'm given to understand that sonic shields do not flare. I was wondering if this could be changed. It makes perfect sense that sonic shields should use the same flaring mechanics as weapons, and this would make sword and board a more attractive option for bards. As it stands, the mechanical advantages of going pole, ranged, or disruption on a bard outstrip the benefits of sword and board to a vast degree.

This is related to the post elsewhere that semis should get limited access to shield maneuvers (semis other than paladins that is). Semis suffer from the same problem that provoked the development of SMANs for squares (and paladins). Squares (and paladins) did not have much mechanical cause to go sword and board, and so the latter was 'spiced up' with SMANs. Presumably, those were not extended to semis (except paladins) because semis were 'spiced up' by their spells. I think this has some logic to it, and while I would argue for very limited SMAN access to semis (other than paladins), it stands to reason that we could 'spice up' semi sword and board builds using these aforementioned 'spicy' spells of theirs. To this end, I submit that sonic shield ought to have sonic flares with identical mechanics to those employed for weapons.

Player of a bard
Re: Bards, shields, and sonic shield flares 02/18/2014 02:45 AM CST
I agree with you here, I see nothing wrong with letting sonic shields have flares, they are only offensive in nature and flaring shields aren't exactly rare any more. I also agree that rangers and bards should be allowed access to a small selection of the shield maneuvers to make sword/board builds more attractive.
Re: Bards, shields, and sonic shield flares 02/18/2014 08:44 AM CST
My suggestion several years ago was to give shields only the bonus chance for flaring, that granted by EL:Air trained ranks. That way it wasn't really free (inasmuch as you had to sink points into it) but since you were likely to be getting the Air ranks anyhow (for your weapon flares) it came along for the ride.

Weapon would have two chances to flare (base from the SongSpell, plus Lore) while shield would have only one (just from the Lore). Of course, you tend to swing your weapon a hell of a lot more often than you do shield maneuvers...