Multi-Cast and Bards 01/09/2013 08:44 AM CST
Cross-posted in Magic Spells/Systems --> Developer's Corner - Spell Systems

This is an issue I've noticed with my bards regarding multi-cast and the new MANA verb features. It may apply to certain other classes, as well.

There seems to be a problem with Mana Control ranks as they relate to multi-cast for bards. 30 ranks of Mental Mana Control (MMC) is not enough to obtain 2 multi-casts.

Bards may utilize both Mental Mana Control and Elemental Mana Control. The training costs are equal. Some of their basic bardic abilities, however--specifically Song of Unraveling--depend upon MMC, not EMC. Many bards train exclusively in MMC. But for some reason, it appears that Elemental Mana Control is considered a bard's "primary" control, while MMC is counting for only half.

I have verified this recently. Previously, both of my bards had 30 ranks of MMC with zero EMC. Neither one could utilize multi-casting; they were limited to 1 cast only. When I began training my elder bard in EMC, I noticed she could cast 2 multi-casts after training in only 10 ranks of EMC. This confirms that MMC is counting for only half (30/2 + 10 = 25).

It was my understanding that with classes that use two Mana Controls equally, whichever was trained higher was considered "prime" for purposes of determining what MANA features were available. For instance, my Sorcerer, who is equally trained in both Spiritual and Elemental mana controls, has not suffered this problem.

My ranger, on the other hand, has access to 2 multi-casts with only 25 ranks of Spiritual Mana Control.

It seems this may have been a minor oversight. We'd really appreciate it if you took a look at this and made any necessary adjustments.

Thank you! :)

Heathyr and friends
Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/09/2013 09:02 AM CST
Septimius has the relevant quote from Estild in the Developer's Corner topic where you cross-posted.

Basically, in order to multi-cast a spell you need to have Mana Control ranks for the mana of the Realm being cast. Elemental spell? MC:Elemental ranks needed.

Given that the ranks are equally inexpensive, and many Bards persist in stopping their MC:Mental ranks after 24, it is reasonable to think that high level Bards will get MC:Elemental ranks as well (both for sharing mana around, and--now--for multi-casting as well).
Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/09/2013 09:21 AM CST
<<<Basically, in order to multi-cast a spell you need to have Mana Control ranks for the mana of the Realm being cast. Elemental spell? MC:Elemental ranks needed.>>>

Thanks Krakii. I read and responded to that on the other thread, as well, but let me mirror my thoughts here. While I understand the intent, it seems like bards are getting left out in the cold regarding multi-cast. Multi-cast can't be used with bardsongs, and we don't have access to the Minor Mental spell circle. So our only use for multi-cast is our Minor Elemental spells, which can be a real time saver.

You bring up a fair point, however, in that the ranks are fairly inexpensive. And I admit I'd forgotten how it was set up to work, with EMC applying to Elemental spells, SMC to Spiritual, etc. Still, it seems a bit of a handicap for most bards, considering it's a fairly benign convenience, and not a game-changing power.

Oh well. Was worth bringing up, in any case.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/09/2013 09:47 AM CST
Let me add some perspective.

My ranger can multi-cast every spell she knows with only 25 ranks SMC. Ranger and MnS.
My empath can multi-cast every spell she knows with only 25 ranks SMC. Empath, MjS and MnS.
My wizard can multi-cast every spell she knows with only 25 ranks EMC. Wizard, MjE and MnE.

My bard with 30 ranks MMC can't multi-cast anything.
My bard with 30 ranks MMC and 15 ranks EMC can multi-cast MnE.
At 30/30 she'd still only have 2 multi-casts, while the others above would have 3.

That's the issue as I see it.

~ Heathyr
Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/09/2013 01:06 PM CST
Seems like another perfectly reasonable training decision needs to be made. (And I think it was you yourself who said in the other thread that none of the BardSongs even benefit from the multi-cast capability (given that they work off of medley duration anyhow).)

Want to cast single-duration spells multiple times? Train in the Minor Elemental list and MC:Elemental.

Want to have continuing-duration spells that behave differently anyhow? Train in the Bard list and MC:Mental.

I really can't speak strongly on this topic, given that my Bard actually does have ranks in both Mana Controls (as part of his 6.5 magical ranks/level to use his Sonic Runestaff), but honestly I seldom run into a situation where I need to multi-cast the Minor Elemental spells anyway.
Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/09/2013 01:07 PM CST
And your comparative list of spellcasters would be much more telling if you included Sorcerers [i.e. "another Hybrid"], rather than only single-Realm users (be they either Semi or Pure).
Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/09/2013 02:22 PM CST
While I'm not necessarily in favor of changing this, as I think it makes sense as it stands, no class in the game falls quite into the realm that bards do.

Sorcerers and Empaths are hybrids like them; however, Empaths never made the Minor Mental switch, and so don't have to worry about it. Sorcerers DO have this issue, but because 1xing both controls is standard training for Sorcerers, its not common enough to seriously impact most sorcerers.

Only Bards have a spell circle for which the mana control for multicast is not usually a part of their training regimen, whether it be through mechanical benefits (or lack thereof) or simply the popular training path.
Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/09/2013 04:55 PM CST
>Only Bards have a spell circle for which the mana control for multicast is not usually a part of their training regimen, whether it be through mechanical benefits (or lack thereof) or simply the popular training path.

And monks, rogues and warriors. At least bards are going to be training enough spells that they will cap duration before

inc 401
inc 401
inc 401
inc 401
inc 401
inc 401
inc 401
inc 401
inc 401
inc 401
inc 401
inc 401
inc 101
inc 101
inc 101
inc 101
inc 101
inc 101
inc 101
inc 101
inc 101
inc 101
inc 101

Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/09/2013 05:08 PM CST
Do what I do and use ;waggle2 on LICH. I'm not impressed with the lack of development for bards. It's essentially nothing and it's been nothing for what? Two, four years? Have we gotten anything since sorcerers got 750? Since then they've gotten 708 and new curses...beats me what else, and they're usually the ones saying they lack development.

Did bards get anything out of the MANA or Multi-spell verb release? Can we at least pulse our mana early? I really don't know. I think my point is clear, though. Bard development is dead and even professions that are "done" shouldn't see nothing for as long as we have. At least squares got access to some of the new cmans released with monks.

~Galenok
Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/09/2013 05:20 PM CST
>Have we gotten anything since sorcerers got 750? Since then they've gotten 708 and new curses...beats me what else, and they're usually the ones saying they lack development.

Wha? We don't have 750. And 708 is super old. We did get new curses, true. I agree that Bard development has slowed significantly, and thats no fun.

I think the biggest gain for Bards was the new spell active window shows exact time until spell refresh. I was under the impression that this was HUGE. Bards can mana pulse early, but like all semis, the ability to do so is much more limited. They can even get a MANA SPELLUP with enough MC. Basically, they can have all the same benefits from the new mana systems, it just costs more TPs to do, much like Paladins and Rangers.

>Barnom says, "Like sage and nutmeg."
Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/09/2013 05:35 PM CST
Okay 708 isn't balefire I guess. Is that 713? Also, I meant whatever spell let's you travel around with the chalk. That's not 750? Okay, 740 or whatever.

Regardless, and I apologize for using the wrong spell numbers, it doesn't alter my point. My point was, sorcs got balefire, new curses, something new with nightmare and their travel spell since the last thing I believe bards got worked on. I sort of knew using sorcs as a point of reference might be a bad move. My using the wrong spell numbers shows about how much I follow sorcerers.

~Galenok
Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/09/2013 05:37 PM CST
We can only spellup our 400's. I can do the same thing in 9 seconds. We can only do the spell up thing if we train in the almost useless mana control: elemental. Not sure how our mana pulse is weaker than a pure's, as I've never used it myself.

~Galenok
Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/09/2013 05:41 PM CST
Sorry...I forgot to touch on the spell active window. I wouldn't call it huge past a certain threshold. It's most useful in your 30's and 40's when you know enough spellsongs but don't have enough mana to run all of them. Once you hit your 50's mana isn't nearly the same issue and barring being a pure bard, your renewal isn't going to crush you until you start trying to hunt with 1035 a lot. I'd say it was huge for about 20 levels worth of barding and nice for the rest. It was nice for everyone, though...so thank you dev GMs for spell active window. I did already thank them for that and for the mana and multi verb releases as they do help some of my other characters.

~Galenok
Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/09/2013 07:21 PM CST
>We can only spellup our 400's. I can do the same thing in 9 seconds. We can only do the spell up thing if we train in the almost useless mana control: elemental. Not sure how our mana pulse is weaker than a pure's, as I've never used it myself.

Why? Does MMC not count towards Bard mana control credit? I get the EMC multicast, but mana spellup is a whole different beast.

Mana pulse works like this; you can "fast forward" the next pulse by a number of seconds equal to your relevant mana controls, or I think in the case a hybrids, half credit towards your second control. So a Bard with 40 MMC should be able to pulse their mana 40 seconds early. Its only weaker because the average bard has less mana control ranks than the average pure.

Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/09/2013 10:13 PM CST
Good to learn that. Thanks. Mana spellup is the neatest to me of the abilities. I can see how a pure might just need that quick burst of mana more than a semi.

~Galenok
Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/10/2013 04:19 AM CST
<<<<Mana spellup is the neatest to me of the abilities.>>>>

I thought that, too. But because it can only be used once in a 24-hour period, I find myself holding it in reserve and rarely using it. I started out using it every day as a convenience. That ONE time, however, when you die in the middle of an invasion, or when you suddenly need to go rescue someone after your spells have dropped, you'll be cursing yourself for having wasted it. So, for me, it goes unused. I love the ability, and I'm thankful to have it. It's just not as "neat" as I first thought, in practice.

I use multi-cast very frequently, however. Once you get used to the time it saves, it's hard to go back to single-casting defensive spells. Just 2 multi-casts cuts your spellup time in half. That adds up quickly. That's why I think this feature should be at least equally accessible among the casting classes.

~ HH
Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/10/2013 02:47 PM CST
>I thought that, too. But because it can only be used once in a 24-hour period,

I had this problem too . . . until I unlocked the second cast the other day!

Its also hilarious fun to double spam it in TSC and see people's reactions. Or if they try to lifekeep you.

Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/10/2013 03:43 PM CST
<<<I had this problem too . . . until I unlocked the second cast the other day! >>>

That's awesome, how many ranks does that take?

~ H
Re: Multi-Cast and Bards 01/12/2013 01:36 AM CST
Keep in mind that he is talking about a sorcerer character, and it took 100 ranks of each mana control. Personally while I think mana spell up is neat, I am not going to train any more controls then I already am just to reach it sooner with any of my characters.