I Know Bards Are Awesome But.. 04/06/2012 07:44 PM CDT

Why the hell can't they get more manuevers?
Re: I Know Bards Are Awesome But.. 04/06/2012 08:07 PM CDT
Bards are semi's. Which means they have offensive and defensive spells to make up for their lack of purely physical combat prowess. Bards and rangers both do not have access to as many maneuvers because so.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: I Know Bards Are Awesome But.. 04/09/2012 05:20 PM CDT
if having access to spells is the reason we don't get access to as many manuevers; then why does it cost us more to learn combat manuevers ranks, and cost more to train in specific manuevers, and not have any working guild skills or armor specialization skills?

just curious what others think the reasoning behind this is? it seems a double penalty to me, my 202 ranks of combat manuevers should go further, and my 100 ranks of armor use as a bard should give me some specialized benefit same as other fighting professions.

Archales
Re: I Know Bards Are Awesome But.. 04/14/2012 11:57 AM CDT

Not only that but the kind of Cman's offered are pretty much bs.
Re: I Know Bards Are Awesome But.. 04/15/2012 11:58 AM CDT
I wouldn't necessarily call them BS. I trained in feint, cheapshots, disarm, and whatever it is that helps against all maneuvers and its name escapes me. But I really only did that to keep cmans from working on me. I can't honestly remember the last time I used a cman while out hunting. So, potentially useful, but.. not that useful.
Re: I Know Bards Are Awesome But.. 04/16/2012 12:05 PM CDT
I view our cmans as salt and pepper but not the main course. There are a couple that I think can be spun as RP tools, and several that are good for defense, but I think it's fair to say that bards aren't meant to be combat masters.

I've trained in spin attack, disarm, cunning defense (which is the one Shadowsongs mentioned), and 2 ranks of combat movement to get side-by-side. I use spin attack all the time, basically because I think it's funny to imagine a swirling rainbow of death and the small AS boost is nice enough. I'm hunting with the same partner virtually all the time, hence SbS. Outside of that, the others are pretty much for defensive purposes.

~Diana, Seomanthe's (much less colorful) keeper
Re: I Know Bards Are Awesome But.. 04/16/2012 03:56 PM CDT

I didn't even realize cmovement was required as a pre-req for sidebyside until reading your post. UGH. I fully intend to use SbS at cap with one of several consistent hunting partners and in that setting it's a useful skill to spend points. 52 CM with the pre-req however. Sigh. In a way I wish the training costs for some skills tapered off as you gained more. Often times 2 ranks in a skill will feel a great value, and you might get a third rank in a fluff/fun/situational skill if you really like it, but any more is a steep investment that gets steeper with each rank.

Lochiven
Re: I Know Bards Are Awesome But.. 04/17/2012 10:17 AM CDT
Yeah, I know how you feel. I haven't maxed any of the ones I train in, and I worked out I'll need to be 1.2x in CM before I can... Post cap goooalll.... It hurts to spend 12 or 15 CM points on one skill when you think "Man, I could get 2 ranks in these other two or three instead." It's the same with any training choice though, and just comes down to a character choice. Do you want to be awesome at one or two CMan's, or passable at several?

On the plus side, I think SbS stacks when more party members are training in it? Ya'll can come hunt with me and Greg and we'll form a Roman-legion style shield wall ;)

~Diana, Seomanthe's (much less colorful) keeper
Re: I Know Bards Are Awesome But.. 04/17/2012 12:45 PM CDT

Well, I'd prefer a lot more . That's slight to the number of maneuveres they could have but after playing a bard and never having done that before, they really are actually just that good. You can't argue with the awesomeoness of the build now. So, whatever on the Cmans. Some of those are great but offense is not the big factor for me as much with bards and I still want more of those too.
Mois
Re: I Know Bards Are Awesome But.. 04/18/2012 10:40 PM CDT
Many bards sort of ignore their cmans or get some fairly basic ones to protect themselves. Not sure if it's their method of hunting or what. A lot of bards hunt with a heavy use of 1105. While that's a very good spell for many things, I found it to be a mana drain for a more physical bard. I used sweep instead for years. That shifted to charge when I switched to polearms. Shield bash is not as good but almost...and entertaining if you have a nice shield with flares.

Side by side is nice, and very nice post cap. Since I hunt often with a militia (many members of which have side by side) it's a good skill to have for a nice AS bump. Two ranks of Cmovement isn't such a terrible requirement really.

I think almost any bard that's not a pure/archer should have one knockdown and/or stancing maneuver (Sweep/Charge, shield bash and feint). After that the next best stuff is going to be focus, side by side and disarm. Disarm is more important for archers and some pure builds than a knockdown maneuver. Both shield bash and charge will knockdown and stance critters...as well as stun or kill them. Sweep doesn't stance, so that's something to consider, but it is the most consistent at proning a critter. I never was one to get cheapshots or the one time I did I probably didn't give it enough of a chance to test. You could do a lot of things with it, assuming you knew or macro'd all of them, but it struck me that they weren't as successful as a more focused skill. Feint was a little too one dimensional to me. If you were going to get feint, I found dirt kick to be more fun.

~Galenok
Re: I Know Bards Are Awesome But.. 04/18/2012 11:45 PM CDT
>I never was one to get cheapshots or the one time I did I probably didn't give it enough of a chance to test. You could do a lot of things with it, assuming you knew or macro'd all of them, but it struck me that they weren't as successful as a more focused skill.

The problem with cheapshots, for me, is it relies upon your Ambush skill (which my archer bard doesn't have). Bummer because that would be the one CM that seemed to fit my character. I don't really get why this particular CM is bogged down with the additional requirement of ambush. Oh well...

~ HH and friends
Re: I Know Bards Are Awesome But.. 04/19/2012 02:52 AM CDT
I'm curious how many bards have and actively use the Dirtkick CMAN? Considering it is just as effective from defensive stance as it is from offensive stance it would seem that it would prove to be highly useful in the upper echelon of levels...or below. It also has a very low stamina cost.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: I Know Bards Are Awesome But.. 04/20/2012 01:06 PM CDT
I have five ranks of cheapshots and dirtkick, they are fantastic manuevers for any bard.

Cheapshots recommends ambush training, but having learned with 0 ranks of ambush I can say it does not noticably affect my success rates and now that I have maxed ambush at 101 ranks I find the bonus pretty negligible. Cheapshots work on humanoid targets the best, so triton, puppetmasters and the like its a great manuever set, kneebash is dirt cheap, knocks down and adds RT, and throat chop provides a very nice no casting for you window against pures, I used nose tweak and footstomp more pre 50 trains when stuff had a bigger DS advantage and I had fewer ways to keep them busy.

Dirtkick is awesome, and aside from the fact that it doesn't work well on the lower levels of the temple I've gotten good use out of it as a followup to 1002 or 1005 I've been able to drop critter DS with this by close to 100.

I have always been a physical bard so I went with feint, charge, cheapshots, to start out, and added dirtkick when it became available and after whining about it for months I was happy to add 2 ranks of cmovement for sidebyside. If I wasn't very active in a militia group I would say this manuever is rather cost prohibitive to bards to train in.

Just to reiterate, I think the costs for bards to train in Combat manuevers, or the cost per rank should be reviewed its a double penalty, and warriors rogues still would have more options at lower costs so it shouldn't be unbalancing.

Archales