Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/06/2011 08:36 AM CST
I got laid out by by a Moulis. It, of course, laid its eggs or whatever in my chest before I decayed. No big deal. After I awoke in the temple I was still infected. That doesn't make much sense. Can we change that? Or can I at least talk to Loriminstra for some kind of rebate on my deed? I didn't exactly get quality service.
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/06/2011 09:00 AM CST
I have never been killed by a moulis, so I don't know if they lay their eggs immediately after you die. But if there is a round or two delay, then I have a totally OOC and OOG suggestion: log off immediately after being killed and avoid the egg laying. Log back in a few minutes later after the moulis has despawned. Yes, it's trying to avoid game mechanics, but unlike slamming when stunned, this is justifiable, IMO.

My rationale is as follows: I agree that decaying (or being raised by a cleric) should rid the corpse of the verminous ova. I mean, if your body turned to dust, presumably the eggs are now lying in the dirt where you decayed. And if raised by a cleric, make it so that he/she could cast cure disease on the corpse first; let that rid the deceased of eggs. Sounds like a serious design flaw to me.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/06/2011 03:48 PM CST
I agree it should be maybe looked at after you are forced into decomposition... how can they still be in there, after all, if you are decomposed?

As a rescuer... you just have to know to ask "Are you preggo?" or watch for the tell-tale signs and drag the body outside the gates for erruption.

I'd not want to see it go away entirely, or even avoided when it comes to rescues- I've been on both ends, as the victim and as the rescuer... it's just one of those experiences I reccomend for all!
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/06/2011 05:42 PM CST
Might I suggest chronomaging to the landing if that happens again, to at least make the most of it?

:D

-Keleborrn.
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/08/2011 05:10 PM CST
I asked a gamehost about it and they said it was functioning as intended. But I was also told I should go say something about it on the officials. I'll accept any effort put forth on this issue, even if it's a GM answering with some half plausible reason as to why this one single way of dying is treated differently than every other instance in the game. I mean, Do the moulis have some kind of agreement with Loriminstra? Is there some kinda fungus/bug temple where they go to buy deeds? Anyone?
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/08/2011 05:14 PM CST
Skayl hearts will also last long enough to kill you a second time. That being said, both need to be changed.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/08/2011 07:46 PM CST
I know this may not cover all contingencies, but -- isn't there a way to cure this infection?

Same with the hearts -- although there are several methods available to deal with that situation.

I'm not advocating for 'no change', I'm just wondering why it 'must change'.

Doug
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/08/2011 07:52 PM CST
It must change because a decay is a new body. No good reason you should carry along an egg and not a missing limb or blown nerves. Or so I feel.

Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/08/2011 07:54 PM CST
As far as I know, there is no cure.

-Keleborrn.
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/08/2011 08:05 PM CST
A good use for Paladin Purify.
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/08/2011 08:18 PM CST
>>No good reason you should carry along an egg and not a missing limb or blown nerves.

Yep, this one resonates, and I'm sort of inclined to agree. There is a way to cure it -- maybe a couple of ways -- before a decay. But after a decay? Oddkins.

>>Paladin Purify

Agree. If this isn't on the list, it sure should be. Before the decay.

I suspect the reasoning was something to the effect of 'remote area, don't want them just decaying out' type approach. Then came death's sting, but this might not have been revisited.

Doug
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/08/2011 08:18 PM CST
<<It must change because a decay is a new body. No good reason you should carry along an egg and not a missing limb or blown nerves. Or so I feel.>>

Agreed, 100%.
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/08/2011 08:25 PM CST
I will ask, though -- just for my own curiosity -- did the original poster decay manually, or wait out the timer?

I also kind of have to ask -- was this in prime or in shattered? My reason for asking is related to the scripting nature of shattered, and it is much more easily understood why this occurred. Fortunately, even that can be addressed, I think.

Doug
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/08/2011 10:52 PM CST
I waited it out. I hate departing. And It was in prime too.
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 01:50 AM CST
Put a BUG in on the matter, specifically noting that you were still infected after waiting out your natural decay timer. I agree that a second unavoidable death (to the extent that we can't expect a player to rescue and/or preserve themselves) is probably excessive. I can look into tinkering with the timer for how long the whole process takes.

However, if a player specifically chooses to decay early, I'm not convinced that effects like a moulis spawn or a skayl heart should also terminate instantly. Your gear comes along. Your tattoos come along. Your scars come along. It is hardly a brand new pristine body, though I agree it was probably intended as such in the original design, where gear stayed behind upon decay. In the current implementation, however, even that missing limb comes along -- or perhaps doesn't come along -- if it was a scar and not a wound.
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 02:08 AM CST
<<However, if a player specifically chooses to decay early, I'm not convinced that effects like a moulis spawn or a skayl heart should also terminate instantly. Your gear comes along. Your tattoos come along. Your scars come along. It is hardly a brand new pristine body, though I agree it was probably intended as such in the original design, where gear stayed behind upon decay. In the current implementation, however, even that missing limb comes along -- or perhaps doesn't come along -- if it was a scar and not a wound.

A small facet to this, but I'm pretty sure moulis are MUCH newer creatures than the original death mechanics. And since they are newer, it sounds like something that is probably intended that the moulis babies stay attached to the body.

-Adam

"You guys took all the pretty places." ~Anonymous
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 05:32 AM CST
A small facet to this, but I'm pretty sure moulis are MUCH newer creatures than the original death mechanics. And since they are newer, it sounds like something that is probably intended that the moulis babies stay attached to the body.

/agree

EN came along several years after the death mechanics were changed to remove droppage, so moulis's special mechanics were probably designed with the current mechanics in mind.

Of course, droppage still exists in plat, but I don't think that changes the discussion much.
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 08:21 AM CST
You don't arrive naked, you carry lots of stuff with you on decay.
You don't lose your 10x DB pin of awesomeness.
You don't lose your shade skink.
You don't lose your tattoos.
You don't lose scripted diseases.

and you don't lose moulis eggs.

Its not an injury, its something you carry, and you don't lose stuff that you carry, whether its stuff you like or stuff that you would prefer to be rid of.

It would be really annoying if every critter did this, but one critter doing it makes for a more interesting game.
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 08:30 AM CST
The only thing you do lose is your silvers. And that's a very minor thing compared to everything else.

-Adam

"You guys took all the pretty places." ~Anonymous
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 09:51 AM CST
Death also removes creature caused disease (including the special sort from apes near Illistim) and poison (wasp and dart forms as well I think), those would seem to be very similar in concept to the egg. Even if it was consistent, no creature should get to kill you twice in one fight.

Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 10:53 AM CST
How about Arrows/bolts? If you decay, do those continue to be stuck in you? I imagine they do. Another point in the Moulis egg's favor.
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 11:19 AM CST
I'd be happy with some sort of penalty other than dying again, but decaying is fairly harsh already and piling another death on top of that that you have no way to avoid just isn't very fun. The moulis baby thing is pretty rare, but so is getting rescued from down there...

Things that challenge you and kill you when you fail can be fun, but challenge requires the ability to compete, in my opinion.

-Keleborrn.
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 12:29 PM CST
>Even if it was consistent, no creature should get to kill you twice in one fight.

Why not? Some critters have to be killed multiple times.

I am pretty sure that I can avoid the second death, but so far I have never been egged and had to see whether my strategy is correct. If I am wrong, I will just have to try something else.

>Death also removes creature caused disease (including the special sort from apes near Illistim) and poison (wasp and dart forms as well I think), those would seem to be very similar in concept to the egg.

Death is not the same as decay. The concept is not the same at all. You get egged AFTER you die. Its the death, not the decay that ends these effects that are caused while you are alive.

The game would be very boring if every critter was just a kobold with a different base level. Critters should do things which are unique to them. The egg is a unique challenge to the moulis. If you can't work out how to deal with it, hunt something else instead.
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 12:50 PM CST
>The game would be very boring if every critter was just a kobold with a different base level. Critters should do things which are unique to them. The egg is a unique challenge to the moulis. If you can't work out how to deal with it, hunt something else instead.

There are plenty of ways to keep things interesting without stacking multiple deaths on folks for a single event. Menos made it through the tower just dandy, without deaths or eggs to speak of. He is also well old enough to not return there to hunt. My skin in this game is only an interest in changing what I observe from the outside as a non-enjoyable danger. You died, the creature won. No need to add an extra insult on top of the injury.

Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 12:57 PM CST
>You died, the creature won. No need to add an extra insult on top of the injury.

Critters add all sorts of insults on top of it. They will mutilate your body in all sorts of different gruesome ways, hide it, eat it, spit on in, rob it ...
and lay an egg in it.

If you think your body is never touched by anything after death you must be departing straight away every time.
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 01:28 PM CST
>Critters add all sorts of insults on top of it. They will mutilate your body in all sorts of different gruesome ways, hide it, eat it, spit on in, rob it ...
and lay an egg in it.

Ah, but as you most rightly put it "Death is not the same as decay. The concept is not the same at all."

All of these effects except the egg come to fruition before a decay. A construct does not appear at the altar and hold you in place until someone kills it, ice trolls are not in the temple riding folks about, scouts do not show up and ambush you in town when you decay, injuries from having your arms ripped off are restored with your new body (not sure if constructs give scars or injuries when they take arms, I am pretty sure grims give just the injury that is fixed on a decay).

No doubt there is some other example of some other effect that carries over. In the end that does not matter nearly so much as the fact that the grief effect from multiple deaths goes beyond fun danger into just annoyance for the sake of annoyance. You are quite free to disagree, but I know the GMs sure get mad when I kill someone more than once for a single offense. Lets see some equal treatment for angry plantlife I say.

Even if the egg had effects post decay that were able to be mitigated or healed (like eating some clove for missing arms), it would not bother me nearly so much. Death and decay is enough failure for people who die there.

Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 02:00 PM CST
As a cleric with a spirit servent up, my life keep lasted for quite a long time. (I'd just returned after four years and had forgotten about UNLINKING and didn't know yet about Miracle.) The first time I died in there, I was impregnated three times. I gave birth twice while laying there, my LK finally gave out and I was impregnated again during the regular countdown to forced into decay. I woke up in the hall as per normal, other than being pregnant. You can wander around town and not pop I think, due to being in town (I suppose mechanics not wanting us to be releasing potentially bad nasty things... we could make an invasion of Moulis!). As soon as I walked out of the gate I popped, I'd thought ahead (knowing I would pop) to have some folks to kill the babies and a cleric and healer waiting for my death.

My death sting was through the roof. After that, if I died in the Tower I'd beseech if I had the mana (then ring in), and if not I'd wait a minute or two to see if locates came. If none came, I'd UNLINK and depart. The second death just not being worth the risk to see if I'd escape being "molestered by moulis" - yuck. It's the only place in my experience with the game where I would rather depart than wait for a decay, even if I knew no rescue was coming.

I can understand not wanting to make departing more attaractive, as it's supposed to have a heavy penelty, but if people are choosing it for the similar reasons as I would now... it's still going to happen. If I knew I could decay and not wake up with moulis in my belly- I'd not depart confirm.

OR, maybe the new herbalists could sell a new egg killing potion in their shop (Since you don't pop in town)and charge us some awful amount for it.

Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 02:04 PM CST
I appreciate the clarification of natural timer decay and of the instance this occurred in.

I can see a few potential ways to handle this.

1) Have the decay function check to see if the decaying character is located in the tower and check further to see if impregnated. If so, 'birth the babies', and leave a non-bleeding or huge scar on the body. This serves the principle of 'waiting out the birthing process', keeps the decay process intact, and limits the nasty double-tap effect to one of healing / herb use. By checking tower location first, you prevent having to scan each death for impregnation where it won't occur.

2) Have the 'birth the babies' timer reset (and perhaps double?) at point of decay. The intent here is to allow minimal recovery and a chance for the individual to get to the right location to 'cure' the infestation. This likely will lead to continued frustration, until the process is 'solved' and communicated -- but may introduce some cooperation, grouping and exploration of in-game lore. Of course, once the solution is known, scripts will be generated, etc -- making this a less attractive overall game solution.

3) Leave things as they are, but change the 'birth the babies' script to a heavy bleeder without instant death. This aligns with the first point above in preventing a double-tap, allows the introduction of scrapings in various towns to the amusement of the population, and still allows the for various multiple avenues of self correction (herbs, healing, in-game lore).

4) Add E's suggestion to the list of in-game mechanisms to fix this (and perhaps other 'infestation' category challenges), after determining appropriate lores / ranks / skills / level, etc. I'd recommend this be done irrespective of other potential solutions. This is less controllable by the character, and will likely result in more double-taps than either of the previous recommendations (unless co-implemented), but does offset the scripting solution and does lend some reinforcement to group correction rather than self-correction.

Each has pros and cons, of course. I would, however, suggest that the existing mechanisms of 'birthing' before decay remain, as they are a strong part of the tower's dangers.

Doug
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 02:07 PM CST
>>maybe the new herbalists could sell a new egg killing potion in their shop

Or this.

And add this.

Or / and add this.

Like the suggestion.

Doug
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 02:23 PM CST
I like that idea of not dying instantly, but instead getting a big fat stun and a nasty, nasty abdomen wound (please no roundtime though).

Then it'd be a challenge - make sure you have somebody around to unstun you or kill the babies, or figure out a way to help yourself.

That way moulis would keep their mostly unique ability to make a mess out of things after a player has decayed, but it wouldn't be such a frustrating thing.

-Keleborrn.
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 02:41 PM CST
How about this...

Set the moulis timer to 5 minutes. Most decays are 10-15 minutes. When the moulis spawns hatch your corpse instantly decays, regardless of life-keep.

So basically it forces a decay in 5 minutes vs 10+, and disregards any life-keep (forcing the decay after the timer goes off).

Yea, it's harsh, but the current version is even more harsh I think.

On a positive side - maybe there could be a way to remove the eggs prior to a normal raise (in cases where a cleric is available in the 5 minute window and the body is kept). I'm thinking the corpse would need to be incinerated somehow. That should keep the empaths happy.

-James-
player of Fremie

Mirayam says, "You are not a rogue, sir."

Mirayam exclaims, "You are noble!"
Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 03:14 PM CST
The tower is a hard place to go drag a body in from. If you set it to 5 minutes, you may end up with everyone just deciding to decay. The idea of any means of addressing the implanted egg sure sounds good to me though. Ditto making it a very bad injury and not just 100% kill.

Re: Moulis infected after a decay. Why? 03/09/2011 08:12 PM CST
It's also not possible to solely drag a body back from there, because of the wall southeast of TI. But that's another gripe.

-Keleborrn.