Palestran/Palestrian Decided 06/19/2017 11:17 PM CDT

After some discussion, it has been decided that both Palestran and Palestrian are technically correct, but all official documentation will be using Palestrian. There may be some older items out there that are spelled differently, which is fine, but this will be the version used from this time forward for any new document or new items created.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: Palestran/Palestrian Decided 06/19/2017 11:49 PM CDT
This is making my word-loving brain itch. While the -an, -n, and -ian suffixes may all have similar intent and technical meaning, their use with different root words seems to rely on the structure of those root words.

You wouldn't call something related to Burma 'Burmian' or Java 'Javian'. Those proper nouns in A, they get a -n. Palestrian indicates the root is Palestri or Palestria, not Palestra. "Of or relating to Palestra" should be "Palestran" if you're going to use a suffix to turn this noun into an adjective.

While this is describing the suffix in relation to nationality, the structure and its usage is, to my best knowledge, the same: http://www.linglish.net/2008/10/22/so-many-nationality-suffixes/

---
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 110 silver coins for it."
Re: Palestran/Palestrian Decided 06/20/2017 12:00 AM CDT
Great posts Ravenna and Mourne. I have to agree with the linguists on this one.

The flamepoint sand kitten hisses at a patchwork flesh monstrosity.
... 9 points of damage!
Re: Palestran/Palestrian Decided 06/20/2017 12:16 AM CDT
What Mourne said.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Palestran/Palestrian Decided 06/20/2017 10:44 AM CDT
The attested English word is in fact "palestrian" so I find it hard to fault the decision.