Palestra/Palestran/Palestrian? 05/29/2017 08:39 PM CDT
Heyo,

So, I know it's the Palestra Guard, but the gswiki also has a "palestrian prefect" mentioned in the palestra doc. Is it supposed to be palestrian or palestran? Because I've seen Palestra and Palestran in the past, but not Palestrian. Would love some official clarification on that one, thanks.
Re: Palestra/Palestran/Palestrian? 05/30/2017 12:25 PM CDT
The ending "ia" designates a country or nation of origin, whereas the plain "an" does not, and simply indicates it is associated with the proper noun from which it comes. Usually, of course. For example: Romania, the Land of the Romans, as opposed to "Roman", which is used for anything from lineage to a period in history to architecture and so on.

Palestra is the Latin version of a Greek word, palaestra, a verb meaning to wrestle. In the Latin usage it's for a wrestling school, where training and athletic competitions take place.

In English, palestra still means a location for wrestling or battle, so Palestran would mean "of the battlefield" whereas Palestrian would mean "the land of the battlefield." Thus, unless there is a specific background reason not to, it would be more correct to use "Palestran."

-GK, married to a linguist.

Ysharra says, "One day, I'm going to have "What?" inscribed on your tombstone, with lots of helpful punctuation."
Re: Palestra/Palestran/Palestrian? 06/15/2017 03:43 PM CDT

Just wanted to drop a note to say that we are having some discussion about this and will decide how the wording should be. I will then make it consistent across all official documentation so there is no confusion.

I will let you know when I have something to report to you!

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves