Unofficial Palestra and Basilica Group 06/02/2015 11:12 PM CDT
Written in flowing script upon gold-leafed parchment you find the following invitation within the Faendryl Embassy:

I do hereby cordially invite you to meet within the Library Aies Apartment for refreshment and discourse at 10PM Elven, Day of the Huntress, the 12th day of Lumnea, in the year 5,115. The main topics to be discussed will be the Palestra and the Basilica.

Durakar Al'Yari Faendryl
Palestran Guard

OOC:
To all interested in helping create an unofficial player based group of Palestra and Basilican trained individuals please join me in the Library Aies Apartment, located just by the Library Aies in Ta'Illistim on June 12th at 10pm EST. The meeting is open to all.

This is not a part of the Symposium, but I wanted to schedule it during that timeframe as most of those who would want to attend will already be in the area. If other events become scheduled at this time I'll post with a new date and time for the meeting.

It is my desire for this group to help promote the idea of PCs being allowed to be Palestran and Basilica related as well as to help create documentation that can be passed along to the GMs regarding these vaunted organizations of the Faendryl culture.

If you are interested in being a part of this endeavor but are unable to make it to the meeting, please contact me via e-mail at my Play.net address or join our Google Group - https://groups.google.com/d/forum/the-palestran-guard

An announcer shouts, "Introducing our new combatant, Duskruin Arena Hero Durakar al'Yari Faendryl the Captain of the Mist Harbor Militia, hailing from Isle of the Four Winds!"
Re: Unofficial Palestra and Basilica Group 06/08/2015 11:02 PM CDT
With the addition of an event Friday night and Kenstrom's activities going on after that I am moving this meeting to Saturday night following the Ball.

Meeting at the Library Aies Apartment at roughly 10pm EST (or whenever the Ball ends, if later).

I'll send out some directions via the thought-net and all that night as well as leading any interested over.

>To all interested in helping create an unofficial player based group of Palestra and Basilican trained individuals please join me in the Library Aies Apartment, located just by the Library Aies in Ta'Illistim on June 13th at 10pm EST. The meeting is open to all.

>It is my desire for this group to help promote the idea of PCs being allowed to be Palestran and Basilica related as well as to help create documentation that can be passed along to the GMs regarding these vaunted organizations of the Faendryl culture.

>If you are interested in being a part of this endeavor but are unable to make it to the meeting, please contact me via e-mail at my Play.net address or join our Google Group - https://groups.google.com/d/forum/the-palestran-guard

An announcer shouts, "Introducing our new combatant, Duskruin Arena Hero Durakar al'Yari Faendryl the Captain of the Mist Harbor Militia, hailing from Isle of the Four Winds!"
Re: Unofficial Palestra and Basilica Group 06/13/2015 12:38 AM CDT
A reminder, this will be happening on Saturday at roughly 10pm EST, or whenever the Ball ends.

I'm modifying the Palestran Training Kata I have previously used to suit the venue and will be able to demonstrate that if any desire such.

>To all interested in helping create an unofficial player based group of Palestra and Basilican trained individuals please join me in the Library Aies Apartment, located just by the Library Aies in Ta'Illistim on June 13th at 10pm EST. The meeting is open to all.

>It is my desire for this group to help promote the idea of PCs being allowed to be Palestran and Basilica related as well as to help create documentation that can be passed along to the GMs regarding these vaunted organizations of the Faendryl culture.

>If you are interested in being a part of this endeavor but are unable to make it to the meeting, please contact me via e-mail at my Play.net address or join our Google Group - https://groups.google.com/d/forum/the-palestran-guard

Re: Unofficial Palestra and Basilica Group 06/15/2015 08:38 PM CDT
Thank you to all who came out for the first meeting! I think things went rather well. Had some great conversation and I've posted logs both in the group and on the PC. Here is the Palestran training ritual/kata that I demonstrated at the gathering.

You say, "The space is a little tight in here, so my apologies if I come close to you. Focus and control are two aspects taught within all we do."

(Durakar casually walks over near the statue before turning to face back towards everyone.)

You say, "I would like to show you the art of a Palestra warrior this evening by performing one of our training rituals. Its name translates roughly as 'The Broken Path'."

(Durakar bows formally to the audience before beginning his performance.)

In the shadows of evening, the figures on the stele become less distinct, their forms appearing less stylized. The night shrouds their deeds.
Something outside passes between the light and the mosaic, briefly shadowing the salon in a dim gloam.

(Durakar slides his left foot back into a slanted fighting stance.)

(Durakar brings the blade of the claidhmore directly before him, the blade edge seeming to draw a line straight down the middle of his face.)

(Durakar takes a step backwards with his right foot, seeming to glide across the floor. As he does so, the claidhmore is brought up parallel to the floor, as if to deflect an incoming blow.)

(Durakar brings his claidhmore arcing around to cut diagonally across before him.)

(Durakar sidesteps and turns to his right as he turns the heavy blade and uses its momentum to bring it up even with his chest and parallel to the floor once more deflecting an invisible blow.)

(Durakar brings the blade back before his face, eyes glinting in the light on either side of the blade, as he circles an invisible foe.)

(Durakar springs forward with surprising alacrity, thrusting the claidhmore before him.)

(Durakar pulls the claidhmore back towards him and whirls quickly to his rear, striking with an upward slash.)

(Durakar rolls backwards, keeping his claidhmore out to the side and even with the floor narrowly avoiding hitting the statue nearby.)

(Durakar springs to his feet as he completes the roll, his sword moving with a steady grace to once again align between his eyes.)

(Durakar turns the blade sideways, allowing the width of it to cover his eyes. With the blade remaining steady and straight before him, Durakar bows his head once more.)

You absent-mindedly drop a gold-tipped invar claidhmore into your utility kit.

You say, "As you can see, even a simple training kata requires much knowledge of one's surroundings and control of the weapon one uses."