Undead presence in hunting areas/berserk mechanics 05/06/2016 03:36 PM CDT
I have noticed that in a majority of hunting areas, there is at least one type of undead creature present. Some of these make sense (fire guardians/fire phantoms, both fire-y type creatures). However, a vast majority of them do not make any sense to me (frozen corpses coexisting with wooly mammoths/saber toothed tigers, skeletal giants coexisting with storm giants, etc. etc.).

This doesn't make sense, as the undead would not typically coexist for long with the living.

From a playing standpoint, this doesn't affect pures much (since their main attacks hit undead/living equally well). For squares such as my warrior, it's extremely frustrating and limits how I am able to play the game. Berserking with my bonded flaring weapon in Storm Giants is impossible, since the accompanying Skeletal Giants are undead. My warrior will continue berserking an undead target he can't hit for up to five minutes.

This leaves me with the following questions for game designers:
1-Why is there not better separation between undead/living enemies in hunting areas? From a roleplaying/feasibility of their coexistence and a reasonable hunting mechanics standpoint, I can't understand why the two classes of enemies aren't better separated.
2-As a follow-up to the first point, can we make improvements to warriors berserking in order to improve how viable it is as a method of hunting? Is the presence of undead creatures intended to frustrate people who use berserking as a primary means of hunting? While we're on the subject, could monster decay timers be based on how long since the killing player had the opportunity to search the creature. If I berserk for half a minute, then I think I should be able to loot everything I just killed rather than have the treasure/bodies disappear in less than a minute. I suggest we remove out-of-place undead creatures from some hunting areas and increase corpse decay timers.

Curious to know game designer thoughts.
Kressilak
Re: Undead presence in hunting areas/berserk mechanics 05/06/2016 04:29 PM CDT
<<1-Why is there not better separation between undead/living enemies in hunting areas? From a roleplaying/feasibility of their coexistence and a reasonable hunting mechanics standpoint, I can't understand why the two classes of enemies aren't better separated.

I'm not a DEV-type person, but I'll try my best to give my personal opinion on the matter.

A lot of these hunting areas you mention were designed YEARS before things such as Berserk were created. This was back when there were only two towns (Icemule Trace and Wehnimer's Landing). Things to hunt were very slim pickings and the creation of new areas just for hunting one type of critter was not really thought of. Back in those days rescues were hard to come by. So the promotion/style of hunting in groups was a lot more common. Not to say group hunting isn't common these days, though. If I remember right, it was pretty uncommon for clerics to swing weapons at all. And their main spell to hunt with was Repel. If you mix the undead along with the living then it was a much better chance to get a rescue from a cleric.

As far as changes to Berserk, I'll leave that to a DEV GM to reply about.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Undead presence in hunting areas/berserk mechanics 05/06/2016 04:48 PM CDT
>This doesn't make sense, as the undead would not typically coexist for long with the living.

Speaking purely from an RP standpoint, I actually contest this statement. There is more than enough precedence among Luukosian cults for undead and living to coexist, either collaboratively toward a similar purpose or at the very least without explicit animosity toward one another every single waking moment. Outside of direct Luukosian Order/cult influence, there likewise are plenty of explanations as to why entities on varying ends of the Living-Unliving spectrum coexist.

Don't forget, Voln is an Order that is favored by the more vast civilization-oriented humanoid races, but there is no real precedence that I am aware of for the inclusion of humanoids in Voln's Order (or acting out his/his mother's personal vendetta against the undead) outside of those humanoids that can be selected through the character manager. In other words, there are literally or virtually no orcs, ogres, trolls, (actual) giants, kobolds, etc among that membership.

That does nothing to address the issue of berserk with mixed hunting grounds. Also, I also vastly favor hunting grounds that are exclusively living with no undead presence, so I understand where you are coming from even as a player of a non-warrior for my primary. I just don't agree with the RP side of your assessment.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Undead presence in hunting areas/berserk mechanics 05/06/2016 07:16 PM CDT
>My warrior will continue berserking an undead target he can't hit for up to five minutes.

Type STOP.
Re: Undead presence in hunting areas/berserk mechanics 05/06/2016 11:08 PM CDT
The Miasmal Forest (Oteska's Haven included) is definitely one of my favorite-designed hunting grounds. I hate it a lot sometimes but I really like how it is anyway. It has a fair mix of undead and living creatures, which I also like.

It should be noted that living and undead creatures are prone to attacking each other, so the flavor is often there.

However, I don't have a warrior, and I think this post brings up an interesting discussion, especially with BERSERK.

One thing that annoys me is if I do an open MSTRIKE right as a creature walks out of the room, and it takes me a longer RT to swing just once at a creature. I feel like the command should fail or swing once with normal RT.
Re: Undead presence in hunting areas/berserk mechanics 05/07/2016 07:33 AM CDT
>My warrior will continue berserking an undead target he can't hit for up to five minutes.

>Type STOP.

Berserk can be stopped after about 50s of being out of control, or earlier if stamina is zero.

Also if you are around undead and want to berserk, use a blessed weapon.

>One thing that annoys me is if I do an open MSTRIKE right as a creature walks out of the room, and it takes me a longer RT to swing just once at a creature. I feel like the command should fail or swing once with normal RT.

Berserk switches to focussed MSTRIKE if only one target is available. Two bandits, one hides, and I get four swings instead of two. I'd quite like that to be an option for the cases where a critter runs after I've entered the command but before it executes. (should be an option to set rather than automatic because it would generate unexpected RT)
Re: Undead presence in hunting areas/berserk mechanics 05/07/2016 06:53 PM CDT
>Berserk can be stopped after about 50s of being out of control, or earlier if stamina is zero.

Yes, I'm aware. 9 rounds. If you're berserking for 5 minutes, you probably don't know about STOP.
Re: Undead presence in hunting areas/berserk mechanics 05/08/2016 04:06 AM CDT
Or you tried it too soon and thought it never worked.
Re: Undead presence in hunting areas/berserk mechanics 05/08/2016 07:22 PM CDT
I dont think this a hunting ground issue but more of an inherent risk when using berserk.

I still think there should be a way to emergency stop berserk for those times where you try to break a stun and end up berserking against undead, dont have your weapon/armor/shield, run into wasp nests, lightning elementals, something with cloak of shadows etc. Even if it cost alot of stamina or popped your muscles it would be useful.
Re: Undead presence in hunting areas/berserk mechanics 05/09/2016 12:38 PM CDT
> If I remember right, it was pretty uncommon for clerics to swing weapons at all. And their main spell to hunt with was Repel.

Clerics ambushing with OHBs were actually pretty common. Without it, their only path to level through GS3's undead gap was solely from raising.

~ Methais

Reading the wizard nerfs:
http://i.imgur.com/hNaDm98.gif
Re: Undead presence in hunting areas/berserk mechanics 07/09/2016 01:01 AM CDT

>>This was back when there were only two towns (Icemule Trace and Wehnimer's Landing).

This did two things:
One made me chuckle a lot.
Two made me realize I've been playing this game far too long.

I realize a few months have gone by since this was even posted but I'd like to think that there is some greater story about the skeletal giants and storm giants cohabitation. Long ago atop Sentoph a bloodthirsty warrior preyed upon the storm giants, He would berserk and slay them men women and children alike. So it was the storm giants made a pact with a powerful sorcerer named Starsnuffer whom place a powerful curse on them, binding this hatred to their corpses so that they might avenge the fallen ancestors even after they had passed.

Re: Undead presence in hunting areas/berserk mechanics 07/10/2016 07:59 PM CDT
Virtually positive that Teras Isle opened before anything else; it was the pressure release valve for oldsters from the AOL freebie snerts.
Re: Undead presence in hunting areas/berserk mechanics 07/14/2016 01:11 PM CDT
Yes Both Teras and Rivers Rest came before Icecube. I really miss the boot.. bring back the boot.
Re: Undead presence in hunting areas/berserk mechanics 08/09/2016 09:32 AM CDT
Please do absolutely nothing to "improve" berserk. I guarantee that improving it will nerf how it currently works. Leave berserk alone please :)

-Madmountan's Player
Re: Undead presence in hunting areas/berserk mechanics 08/09/2016 10:08 AM CDT
Incoming berserk 'review' alert!

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!