Creature lifespans 10/17/2012 05:32 PM CDT

I know this would likely be low on the priority list, but for some of thus that have devoted some portion of our R/P to particular creatures for various reasons one think That I have noticed is lacking is there lifespans. I myself make efforts to interact with several creatures that have some form of actual culture ( I refer to them as sub-cultures, as they are the beings that would be next to possible evolve or form an actual town or organized social structure on the level of the current races)but there are other examples like Sorcery demons. The point being, it would be nice to know how long does a troll live, or a goblin, a called demon, etc.
Re: Creature lifespans 10/17/2012 05:41 PM CDT
I know this would likely be low on the priority list, but for some of thus that have devoted some portion of our R/P to particular creatures for various reasons one think That I have noticed is lacking is there lifespans. I myself make efforts to interact with several creatures that have some form of actual culture ( I refer to them as sub-cultures, as they are the beings that would be next to possible evolve or form an actual town or organized social structure on the level of the current races)but there are other examples like Sorcery demons. The point being, it would be nice to know how long does a troll live, or a goblin, a called demon, etc.

My guess is around 45 seconds.

Dgry
Re: Creature lifespans 10/18/2012 04:51 PM CDT
One would think that a troll's regenerative abilities might lead to quite the lifetime.

GM Scribes
Re: Creature lifespans 10/18/2012 05:54 PM CDT
>>One would think that a troll's regenerative abilities might lead to quite the lifetime.<<

Depends on whether or not those abilities can heal the ravages of time (i.e., aging effects). One suspects that it only heals acute physical injuries, otherwise all of Elanthia would be knee deep in trolls.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Creature lifespans 10/18/2012 11:05 PM CDT
Save the Cheerleader, Save the World
Re: Creature lifespans 10/19/2012 08:16 AM CDT
Similar to whichever player race they are closest too. Orcs are basically human, if Neanderthals were still around they'd be orcs.

Trolls I think are a variety of elf, whatever gives elves long life has been twisted into a regenerative ability in them. They are like dark elves, only twisted in a different direction. Maybe trolls are what happens when elfs and dwarfs are twisted together.
Re: Creature lifespans 10/19/2012 08:56 AM CDT
The love that dare not say its name?

GM Scribes
Re: Creature lifespans 10/19/2012 09:08 AM CDT

If any regenerative creature had a long lifespan, then it would quickly overpopulate unless acted on by an environmental factor. ie. some other force killing them or a very slow reproductive rate, in which case, the numbers being killed in the Lands would be driving them torward extinction.

Since trolls regenerate everything, then regeneration should keep them healthy inside as well. Perhaps age reduces the regeneration rate until they no longer regenerate. Perhaps the ability to regenerate itself would limit the life span simply because the body must work harder and, thereby, ages faster.

Interesting thought...

Although I never really focussed on it in the Lands, when I played pen and paper RPGs, the life spans of the main races for Players would impact how NPCs reacted to situations. (ie. a creature with centuries to live may not want to rush off and risk his life over trivial matters or be in a great hurry to do anything. However, a creature with a shorter life would be more driven to do things.) I always figured the kobolds, orcs, etc. reproduced quickly - never really concentrated on it - just figured their numbers and frequency would provide the players would have some familirity with them and the need to limit their population. This provided great NPC/RP sources for short games. (ie. local braggarts/bullies touting thier victories over an orc, patrols to eliminate a pestilance, noble tournaments, small raids on villages, etc. - all of which can lead to some good entertainment...) But I really never gave lifespans a lot of thought...

Re: Creature lifespans 10/19/2012 01:50 PM CDT
>The love that dare not say its name?

Only if you regard what was done to the original Aeletoi as love. Thats the sort of thing I meant by twisting.

Or maybe they are cousins of dark elves. Dark elves are the ones that were close enough to their parents not to be rejected, but the more severely twisted offspring were rejected and became trolls. There's a fair amount in what trolls say that indicates an elven origin. They tend to assume that whoever they are attacking is an elf, whatever the actual race.
Re: Creature lifespans 10/20/2012 03:44 PM CDT

<There's a fair amount in what trolls say that indicates an elven origin. They tend to assume that whoever they are attacking is an elf, whatever the actual race>

There not too big on humans either, but you never here them say much about giants. I have heard them one or two say that dwarven women are almost as good as a troll woman.
The ones In RR have there own versions from there history and a guru with a sense of humor from the past.
Re: Creature lifespans 10/21/2012 05:24 AM CDT
Trolls live exactly how long it takes for them to cross Menos' path!

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow