Demotions 07/07/2010 09:14 PM CDT
You sense the thoughts of the Grand Poohbah : "My child, you have shirked your duties to the society for too long. Redouble your efforts and attain the next rank quickly, lest I be forced to take disciplinary measures!"

You sense the angry thoughts of the Grand Poohbah :"I am most displeased with your lack of progress. You are hereby summarily demoted to rank 3 as a punishment for your sloth! Do not disgrace the society again!"

Anybody care to enlighten me on the rules here?

I thought I was going at an o.k. clip. Doing 1-2 ranks per day. Did 2 last night, got a rank this afternoon then was in a 2 hour waiting time while this occurred.

So is this a mechanic where you can divulge the rules? or another secret puzzle?
Re: Demotions 07/07/2010 11:38 PM CDT
This is purely my obvservation, but there seems to be a time limit (more or less) for doing each task. That limit seems to get a little more strict as you advance.

What I have found is that the best place to take a break from doing tasks is after you have gathered pelts, items, and answered the question. Often, this is when you're told that you need to wait xx minutes before you can be promoted. I usually take a break at this stage because it seems like the timer is turned off.

That said, I've only gone through the tasks once or twice in the last decade.
Re: Demotions 07/08/2010 06:36 AM CDT
Well the timer certainly isn't turned off because it's during the waiting is when I was demoted.

However, I understand the general principal of WHY I was demoted. I was curious if someone who knew (i.e. somebody with access to the code), could divulge the secret formula of when it happens so I could avoid it.

It's a long shot, as everything in this game seems to be so super duper secret that it would clearly destroy the fantasy of the game if it were let out, but I thought I'd give them the opportunity.
Re: Demotions 07/08/2010 08:41 AM CDT
Note that going back up through those ranks gets more difficult, as well. When I was taking my Fighter up through the Council, I decided to amuse myself (with Sign of Recognition) by being of "higher" rank than everyone who had not yet mastered but "lower" rank than everyone who had (I never went and checked in with the Poohbah, only got told that I was promoted by the Taskmaster).

After being demoted something on the order of three or four times--so I ran through the last three ranks a total of either four or five times--those last ones were asking me for things on the order of 25 crystal amulets and like three dozen skins, where it used to be like, "four".
Re: Demotions 07/08/2010 05:07 PM CDT
>>After being demoted something on the order of three or four times--so I ran through the last three ranks a total of either four or five times--those last ones were asking me for things on the order of 25 crystal amulets and like three dozen skins, where it used to be like, "four". <<

Are you sure this wasn't a function of an increasing character level?

Or is it safe to assume that as per usual, you don't really hunt :-p

It's amazing what people will do when they think you can't see them.
Re: Demotions 07/09/2010 08:46 AM CDT
He was gaining a few levels through the process, but typically he would get demoted, then turn around and re-do the levels right then. At least one full cycle of "do the ranks, get demoted, re-do the ranks" all happened within one level (remember: "10/20/30/40/50 thousand per level" progression was still active, and no XXX boost...) so that should not be the issue.

"Back in the day," I typically zoomed through the Council in no more than about 2 levels, and that would generally be only because I would be getting asked for hard-to-find skins (like threk hides or orc beards); one level to complete it would not have been surprising.
Re: Demotions 07/09/2010 01:35 PM CDT
Okay okay okay... So I understood my first demotion. I guess 1-2 ranks per day wasn't enough for our Poohbah.

But I got 12 ranks in the last 36 hours and apparently that's not fast enough for him either.
Re: Demotions 07/09/2010 02:39 PM CDT
I don't know...that seems way too fast for me. I've got a guy in there now at rank 9 or 10 and he only gets about a rank a week. Course I only play him about that much, too.

~Galenok
Re: Demotions 07/09/2010 05:10 PM CDT
I wonder how much exp gain in between getting ranks affects it. For the two hour wait, for instance, are you gaingin a lot of exp? I'm not sure it has anything at all to do with it as my empath is crawling through and it's been a reallllly long time since I've really focus fired the thing. The empath, though, doesn't hunt and exp gain is like a snail crawling through glue and she hasn't been demoted that I can recall.
Re: Demotions 07/09/2010 05:39 PM CDT
>>But I got 12 ranks in the last 36 hours and apparently that's not fast enough for him either. <<

Is it safe to assume this in shattered?

Is it also safe to assume that, while when you are actively at the keyboard you're pursuing your CoL ranks, but then a larger amount of those 36 hours were spent AFK scripting?

If both of the above are true, I think that's your problem.

It's amazing what people will do when they think you can't see them.
Re: Demotions 07/10/2010 08:00 AM CDT
I'm grateful for you guys trying to help narrow it down. But I was looking for somebody with access to the mechanic to give some hints about how it works (Like locksmithing - they said "these things help, these things hurt). But that obviously won't happen.

I guess the moral of the story is I need to do COL over a weekend next time and not think my 1-2 ranks per day when I get home from work is enough.

It's just sort of silly that all these mechanics are so super duper secret. It doesn't add an element of realism to the game, or a dash of challenge.... It's just like your big brother came and made you play Risk or Magic: The Gathering without explaining any rules, then when he wins he brags and rubs your nose in your failure.
Re: Demotions 07/10/2010 10:45 AM CDT
Heh, this is some of the oldest code in the game. I'm not sure anyone really understands it :)
Re: Demotions 07/10/2010 11:47 AM CDT
I recently found that I somehow accidentally resigned from COL after like 10 years so..... (yes stupid)

So I redid it. I was demoted several times (ranks 15 - 20). While the wait for the taskmaster time is IG time, I believe the time between one task and demotion is OOG time. I made sure to always finish my gaming time with a task and do one as soon as possible. No rhyhme or reason I could tell but the time did seem to be less at the higher ranks. And the time from warning to demotion was not always enough for me to finish a task.

J

(Yukito makes a rude gesture at Rimalon's back.)

Speaking quietly to Rhandi, Marclar says, "I'm a limp noodle..."

http://katee.mybrute.com
Re: Demotions 07/10/2010 05:35 PM CDT
I don't understand the system, either. I haven't been demoted on either of the characters I mastered in the past couple of months, and I have one alt who's been inactive for 4+ years, who stopped in the middle of leveling CoL, and hasn't been demoted.

But before I took the 4 year break I got demoted from time to time, too.

Huh!

---
http://jacinthe.deviantart.com
Re: Demotions 07/10/2010 09:14 PM CDT
As some people were kind of hinting about in posts above you loose ranks when you don't do tasks after so much time spent in game. I don't think anyone has actually timed it to see how long that takes though.