Why the Bathhouse was really such a big secret 02/08/2017 11:53 AM CST
[Council, Entrance]
This is the entrance hall of the Most Exceedingly Secret Grand Lodge of the Exalted Council of Light. A large metal chute descends from the ceiling, depositing arriving members on the pillow-strewn landing pad in the center of the hall. A small group of lollygagging acolytes greets each plummeting arrival with sarcastic comments and a numeric rating. An ornate doorway in the southern wall obviously leads to the office of an important personage. You also see an ornate map, a large blackboard and a shimmering portal.
Also in the room: XXXX
Obvious exits: north, east, west.

>read blackboard
The large blackboard lists the top three entrance scores as rated by the acolytes. Currently they are:

8.14 ( 8.0 8.4 8.3 7.6 8.2 ) by Eladar the'Dark
8.10 ( 8.6 8.5 7.5 7.0 8.7 ) by Kimberr Lunas
8.05 ( 8.2 8.7 8.4 6.5 8.3 ) by Kimberr Lunas

>"I.. I.. I don't know how exactly how to put this, sir. But are you aware of how serious a breach of security that would be? I mean, he would see everything! He.. he would see the big board!" - General Turgidson, Doctor Strangelove
Re: Why the Bathhouse was really such a big secret 02/13/2017 08:54 PM CST
Wild find.
Re: Why the Bathhouse was really such a big secret 02/14/2017 08:50 AM CST
These days there would be some script running in a loop to try to jack your way into the highest possible score. The trick if I remember correctly is that your scores weighted upwards as you got to higher ranks, but then it plummeted again after actually mastering. Wait too long trying, of course, and you get demoted.

It was all really absurd. I was making logs to see if there was anything to figure out, but the whole thing was pretty much meaningless.

(1) n00bz do not get ratings: (2000)

As you pull for the third time, a cunningly hidden trapdoor opens beneath your feet!

You plummet down a smooth metal chute into the bowels of the earth. Above you, a dim circle of light grows smaller and fainter, then is suddenly extinguished as the trapdoor closes. Looking downwards, another circle of light grows brighter and larger as you...

...fall through a hole in the ceiling of a large room into a huge pile of pillows! A small group of people notice your clumsy arrival and landing. One of them loudly announces that your performance was so bad that it does not deserve a score. The rest of them agree with him.

XXXX just landed on the pile of pillows.
The acolytes briefly confer, and then award XXXX's arrival the following scores : 4.9 4.4 4.7 5.9 4.8 resulting in an average score of 4.97.

(2) The Purge: (2002)

[Bathhouse, Ruins]
Devastation has been wrought upon the contents of the room, if it can indeed be called a room. The blackened walls are caving in at various points. Broken desks, chairs, and other unrecognizable items are scattered about in random piles of debris. Bits and scraps of sodden parchment lie in tiny mounds here and there, the ink having bled until it turned the watery masses a dark grey.
Obvious exits: out.

(3) Grishom Stone's Re-modeling:

[redacted]