Sign of thought 01/16/2017 08:18 AM CST
When I rub my crystal amulet on any of my characters, regardless of level, it's active for an hour and doesn't cost me any mana. Yet, when I use Sign of Thought with my level 76 rogue it costs 1 mana and only lasts 20 minutes... with my level 41 ranger, it lasts 15 minutes (both have mastered CoL). What's the deal with this?

It seems to me the sign should last at least as long as an amulet regardless of level, esp since it costs mana to use. Why should it cost me 4-6+ mana to get the same duration as rubbing an extremely common item that requires no MIU training?

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Sign of thought 01/16/2017 08:59 AM CST
The Signs provided by the Council have a short duration; I think it used to have been calculated out at around 10s per level, or so, except for those of fixed duration (like 20s for Madness) or single-shot use (Hypnotism or Wracking). Thought may have had a higher duration per level, and I know that each of the attacking/defending signs has a slight variance to them (because I activate them one-two-three, and they wear off fifteen or twenty seconds apart).

The old spell, Thought Projection/118, used to have a flat 5-minute duration. This was why people would wear a crystal amulet and just rub it to destruction, so that they would have it on all the time.

OR they would use Sign of Thought once their duration got up over 5 minutes, and come out ahead.

One of the big ESP rewrites a dozen years or more ago jacked the duration of the crystal amulets up to about an hour, probably so people didn't have to fiddle with things so much.
Re: Sign of thought 01/16/2017 02:44 PM CST
The hour duration for amulets is newer, from player requests, just before they agreed to the requested global channel.

It is the same for Sunfist and maybe they can update that sign and sigil but like he said they used different formulas and it was more of a boost to the sad sad amulet and us of Voln who have to deal with the hassle of crumbly items, which I think is more of an issue then inherently know the effect and spamming a sign or sigil a few times in town to stack to four hours (I have have had a Sunfist pc and it doesn't take long!)
Re: Sign of thought 01/16/2017 09:46 PM CST
<then inherently know the effect and spamming a sign or sigil a few times in town to stack to four hours (I have have had a Sunfist pc and it doesn't take long!)>

It does when your character only has a max mana of 4.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.