Cheap.... real cheap 01/27/2015 08:32 PM CST
So someone enters the room right as I used Darkness to get back to town at the end of a hunt and they must not have been in CoL cause the next thing I know my powers are being stripped, including Swords forcefully stripped six minutes before it would have dropped naturally. This resulted in:

>turn mir left
The mirror won't turn any farther to the left.
>
Your SIGN OF STRIKING is no longer effective.
Your SIGN OF SMITING is no longer effective.
Your SIGN OF SWORDS is no longer effective.

The last of your life force is drained from you and you die!

You sense the thoughts of the Grand Poohbah:
"My child, you have not abided by your vow of
secrecy and have permitted non-members to identify
your affiliation. As such, I strip you of your
powers for 60 minutes, so that you might have
time to reflect upon your actions."

>
The very powerful look leaves you.
The white light leaves you.
The light blue glow leaves you.
The dim aura fades from around you.
The dully illuminated mantle protecting you begins to falter, then completely fades away.
You feel less confident.
The brilliant aura fades away from you.
The opalescent aura fades from around you.
The powerful look leaves you.
The deep blue glow leaves you.
Your heart hammers suddenly in your chest before failing entirely. Even the influence of Troll's Blood is not enough to change the fact of your death.
You sense that your attunement to the minds of others has ceased.
It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...

You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.

DEAD>
* Sixle just bit the dust!
DEAD>
The world before you dissolves into a grainy montage of color...

You find yourself wandering amidst endless streaming light and vast nothingness. This place feels torn between two powers, polar opposites vying for your loyalty. You are surrounded by the spirits of those who could not choose. The only way out seems to be through light or darkness.

Time has no meaning as you wander aimlessly amidst the uncomfortable tugging for your attention. Hopelessness washes over dreams you once held like the creeping tide of doom.

After what could be moments, or perhaps an eternity, the goddess Lorminstra finds you wandering in the endless space and speaks soothingly to you. She gently reassembles the pieces of your tattered soul and then, taking you by the hand, the goddess leads you back to mortality...

[River's Rest, Sanctuary]
Deep in the forest rests a small shrine lovingly carved of the silvery haon wood that surrounds you. Crickets chirping and the gentle rustling of leaves fill the air with a strong sense of life. From somewhere nearby the gentle sound of running water completes the quiet symphony. Little else disturbs the peace save for an occasional muted voice drifting on the breeze.
Obvious paths: southeast

Now, I've had my powers stripped plenty of times before, I get that that happens and can live with it, but it's awfully bloody cheap that it tears down signs like Swords that cost spirit when they fall. Had the sign been allowed to fall naturally, I would have regained enough spirit that I wouldn't have died. However, because someone else just happened to enter the room, I get forced into spirit death, lose two deeds, lose most of a head full of exp, lose whatever silver I'm carrying, and suffer death sting for decaying...awefully bleedin expensive to protect the secrecy of a group that EVERYONE is aware of the existence of....

Why in the world do Shields and Swords take their cost when they fall anyway? EVERYTHING else in the game takes it's cost up front, including other Signs, why are these the exception? If our powers are going to be stripped, either let Swords/Shields refrain from taking spirit (they don't take their cost when they're dispelled) or allow them to fall naturally but don't let us use any more until the time's up.... heck, make us input the command for Darkness twice to use it when there's another in the room...

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Cheap.... real cheap 01/27/2015 09:34 PM CST
>> heck, make us input the command for Darkness twice to use it when there's another in the room...

I like this suggestion.

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: Cheap.... real cheap 01/27/2015 10:08 PM CST
>>I like this suggestion.

But this sort of goes against the design intent of the skill. SIGN OF RECOGNITION is an intended piece of the skill line.

And the reasoning for the spirit to be claimed at the end, and not the beginning, is because players were to use caution with using it in front of people, and plan accordingly. There isn't a whole lot of danger involved with taking the spirit up front, no one would likely get busted, and you'd rarely spirit death yourself from misuse.

~Wyrom, APM

>>They call him Wyrom, not afraid to get dirty; work all day, in game by 5:30; loresongs eloquent, item embellishment, double speed development... ~Silvean
Re: Cheap.... real cheap 01/27/2015 10:55 PM CST
<<But this sort of goes against the design intent of the skill. SIGN OF RECOGNITION is an intended piece of the skill line.>>

I never said when non-CoL members were in the room, just when another person is in the room.

Making folk want to be careful with the sign is one thing, leaving them open to sudden spirit death because of someone randomly wandering in as they hit enter (or after they hit enter but before the command has been processed) is another.

<<There isn't a whole lot of danger involved with taking the spirit up front, no one would likely get busted, and you'd rarely spirit death yourself from misuse.>>

That reads as "Because we want people to suffer spirit death". If that's the case, I'll just stop now cause I don't have a polite response to it (though, rest assured, I do have a response).

The argument might hold a bit more water if either GoS or Voln members risked any sort of death for misusing their Symbols/Sigils.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Cheap.... real cheap 01/27/2015 11:24 PM CST
Sigil of Escape can be quite deadly if misused, whether because you already had nerve damage or because you had a spell already prepared when you hit the panic button and die from the shock once you cast/release it. And that's not even counting the times it ends up transporting you to a not-so-safe place.

Fyonn's player
Re: Cheap.... real cheap 01/27/2015 11:26 PM CST

>The argument might hold a bit more water if either GoS or Voln members risked any sort of death for misusing their Symbols/Sigils.

those aren't the sell your soul societies.
Re: Cheap.... real cheap 01/28/2015 07:17 AM CST
The first rule of Fight Club is you do not talk about Fight Club

The second rule of Fight Club is you do not talk about Fight Club

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: Cheap.... real cheap 01/28/2015 02:13 PM CST

As by far the easiest society to master with some of the best value abilities, I don't think col is really up for improvement.

While that scenario certainly sounded vexing, that's the 1/1000 times it actually hurt you.

I would happily trade my 1 min sigil for your 20 min sign.
Re: Cheap.... real cheap 01/31/2015 05:32 AM CST
<<There isn't a whole lot of danger involved with taking the spirit up front, no one would likely get busted, and you'd rarely spirit death yourself from misuse. >>

They also want to completely annihilate your existence. Why is Lorminstra such a wet blanket?

- Xorus' player

>[Ta'Illistim Keep, The Argentate]

>You settle yourself on the silver throne for a moment's rest.
Re: Cheap.... real cheap 02/02/2015 07:33 AM CST
If it makes you feel any better (it won't), I just spirit-deathed for the first time in...I want to say a decade.

New alt. Low aura. Wanted to get mana to spell up before I went AFK for 15 minutes. Missed my timing by about 15 seconds.

Re: Cheap.... real cheap 02/07/2015 06:53 PM CST

When hunting Guk, I often have to use wracking. Currently it's been a crap shoot while hunting the outer walls of the keep. I think there has been 4 times now I had to sign of darkness out of snake constriction and not checked the spirit before fogging. I like that idea, it keeps your head in the game.

On another note, how many of you have researched the designer of COL, I think it's great that there is a footnote about this guy once you master COL. I think it's very cool to see these things.
Re: Cheap.... real cheap 02/08/2015 08:27 AM CST
<<On another note, how many of you have researched the designer of COL, I think it's great that there is a footnote about this guy once you master COL. I think it's very cool to see these things.>>

I remember someone e-mailed the designer once asking about it, and posted his reply here, which was maybe 13 to 15 years ago. He was deliberately vague, the response was something like: "Yes, that was me. Tricky little chestnut, isn't it?" You have to wonder what was the next chapter in the Saga of the Secret Societies.

The Order of [Voln] has a much more subtle easter egg. The founding story the monk tells you was retconned to have a basis in modern Elanthian history, but it is complete nonsense in its original context. Fasthr K'Tafali would have been a conquering hero or blood relation of the God-king of a theocracy of [Luukos], which could not possibly have existed yet in the year given, and his last name translates as "Lord of the Half-Heads." No idea where they were going to go with that one...

- Xorus' player

>[Ta'Illistim Keep, The Argentate]

>You settle yourself on the silver throne for a moment's rest.
Re: Cheap.... real cheap 02/09/2015 11:04 PM CST
>I think there has been 4 times now I had to sign of darkness out of snake constriction

I was kind of surprised when I realized that Symbol of Return works for this. It's sort of a big cheat since I just Symbol of Return, Symbol of Seeking back to the Keep and keep beating on the snake; not for no favor cost, though.

If gold rings can work (either normal ones or in a bracer/etc), that might be a better option than Darkness.