An idea 05/21/2013 11:14 AM CDT
First I would like to see a history of this group.

I always imagined COL as organized crime.

Instead of collecting items like, amulets, wands, white robes etc and placing them on the altar as offerings. You would get these items, sealed packages or silvers and make deliveries around the nations to other COL agents etc. During this society task you could run into trouble. Like being Hijacked by a rival organization.

Collect protection money from venders, bath houses, gambling establishments etc etc.

Instead of answering questions that can be easily found if you decide to browse the internet. You could deliver messages to COL operatives in towns. Or collect their "spy" information and deliver it back to the Phoobah.

The Dark Assassin, in my mind is the enforcer. I personally have never seen him in action in recent years. I do believe that I did see an assassination many many moons ago.

Why not make a society task having the player be this Assassin. Example: The town of Wehnimers has arrested one of our operatives and is going to hold trial. If convicted he or she will be executed. We can not let this happen. The town officials have in protected custody a key witness. It is you duty to take whatever action is necessary to ensure they never talk. You would then travel to Wehnimers to search for the safe house. But before you do you have to pay off the constable. Doing so would allow you to search for the safe house. This search could be done similarly to how Grimswarm Warcamps are found. Maybe you have to pay off another official or clerk where they will give you the name of the street where the house is located. When found, you would raid the house. When you find the witness you could either give them silvers to keep them quiet or... silence them permanently.

Another task could be that a rival organization is moving in on our turf and has setup a base of operations at such and such a place. Your job is either intercept their shipments of supplies, weapons, or silvers or to eliminate their foothold.

Upon completing tasks you would gain prestige within the organization. You would also receive silvers as payment. You could also become "wanted" as you gain prestige. NPC bounty hunters could try and track you down. To back off this attention you are getting, a silvers donation to COL's "lawyers/clerks" will be needed. These funds will help take that unwanted attention off your back.

Peace
Zhelas

(Lord Paladin walks around Droit examining his equipment.)
Lord Paladin: How does he....How does he work?
Re: An idea 05/21/2013 11:53 AM CDT
I know some folks have thought of this group relating to undead etc. But the same concepts could be applied versus religious groups.

The growth in ranks could start of with just simple deliveries. However as you reach rank 10 you must begin to show your dedication to the organization. This is where the enforcer could come into play.

Another task could be: One of our captured members is being transported between Wehnimers and Icemule. We haven't been able to discover what path they will be following. It is your task to ensure their release. To complete the task you would go to Wehnimers, make a bribe with a clerk/guard or constable to get the location. Travel to that spot and travel that section until the caravan shows up. Kill the guards and free the COL member.

Another task could be bribing officials.

Communication between operatives would have to be done via "signal" To find them sign of recognition.

One of my biggest pet peeves about this society is the lack of penalty if you expose the group. Sure there is the Assassin. But I am sure they come out when some player reports that so and so "reports" their in appropriate behavior.

or

Everyone is resting and the signs drop.... and their spirit drops low enough to give themselves away.... sure you lose your powers for what 30 min...but heck that is about as long as it could take for someone to absorb all their exp from being saturated.

Why not have it.."In the corner of your eye you spy someone who notices your inappropriate behavior.. they signal to you. Your powers have been stripped. If you wish them back you must see the Grand Phoobah or the local COL representative." Folks would pay more attention to what they are doing. The penalty could be removed then either through fine payment of fines which grow over each infraction, or being knocked down in rank, being arrested etc etc.

Anyway just brainstorming.

Peace
Zhelas

Re: An idea 05/21/2013 12:24 PM CDT
Really creative ideas, but it sounds like you're describing a brand new society to me. I don't see this working for CoL, which already has an established history and niche. Not that CoL couldn't use some fleshing out, mind you, but your ideas would completely change the society. I'd rather see something new than totally rewrite CoL. Part of the character and nature of the society is that it's true nature is secret, even to rising members. If members were expected to carry out blatantly criminal and evil activities, that would pretty much tip the whole thing off.

I like the ideas, though.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: An idea 05/21/2013 12:48 PM CDT
Until one can see the written history of the group it is really anyone's guess. I have only one character left now who is in COL and he joined around 1998. Since then, my character has absolutely no reason to do anything for this society. It is purely for the mechanics.

If some of the ideas may expose the group too much so those can be scrapped or altered.

I don't see folks using sign of recognition as much anymore unless they want to sign of wrack in public.

Rarely do folks even use signal to communicate.

These tasks could very easily use sign of recognition to find the officials in town that are COL operatives.. "Signal" could be used to ask them for documentation.. Signal clerk "Do you have the papers needed?" or Signal guard "I have your requested package." In game a non society member won't notice anything different than life as usual.

How many citizens both PC and NPC in game are members of COL? We don't know and we will never really know..still a secret.

As for the enforcer idea. The environment won't necessarily know why are are bribing the constable or clerks. As far as other folks will realize life will go on as usual. The society can remain secret. Sure a witness to some crime may need to be silenced permanently. We could go intercept shipments and make sure no survivors are left alive. There will be zero connection to the Grand Poohbah? We as members are the buffer which protect and keeps the organization secret.

I really dislike the lack of penalty as mentioned before when folks abuse the mechanics of the society and expose it to non members. Sure in this day and age all folks know of this society, how could they not. But their characters don't.

Peace
Zhelas

Re: An idea 05/21/2013 12:55 PM CDT
At this point in time, I have a friend who is currently going through COL because she doesn't have a society reset and can't rejoin sunfist. And doesn't want to do voln. So she has joined COL and has to wait 90 plus minutes between steps so she can't master too quickly.

Skin critter, check...
Collect amulets, wands, greaves, white flowing robes, gold lockpicks, etc etc.. check..
Answer a question.. check.. sleep 90 plus minutes

Peace
Zhelas

Re: An idea 05/21/2013 01:29 PM CDT
Maximum wait time looks like it is 160 minutes. I blew through COL's tasks ASAP and they do their best to slow you down. It is in-game time too, which is a pain. It means a lot of AFK tabling. Best to get it done over a weekend.

As for retooling COL as a mafia organization, i'm not a fan. It needs an update, but that honestly isn't the route i'd like to see it go. Save that stuff for the rogue guild.
Re: An idea 05/22/2013 04:20 AM CDT
>Until one can see the written history of the group it is really anyone's guess.
Zhelas

Not really, no.

There is an established history. Whether that can, or will change in the future is entirely different than 'nobody knows what the history is', which is what you're stating. You've played GS for a long time. You should know that simply because a history doc isn't on the website available to players, doesn't mean there isn't a guideline that's being used for past, present and future development.

-farmer
>"Mine lights my character on fire and makes her all glowy." -Raelee
Re: An idea 05/22/2013 08:39 AM CDT

I really dislike the idea that this society has anything to do with undead. We have Voln for that. If some history is written for CoL basing it with the undead, I'll remove all my characters from it and leave them without a society.
I have never, ever linked it with undead, just straight up evil. Which I love.

My two cents.
Re: An idea 05/22/2013 09:08 AM CDT
It was linked to the Unlife, something which doesn't exist in Gemstone after the De-ICING. That's why the consequences of membership is so meaningless.
Re: An idea 05/22/2013 09:11 AM CDT
Geijon recently compiled a good deal about COL in terms of its recent activities. His site can be found on this post: http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?79374-Lacheis-and-CoL-Decoded-Release!

There isn't any spoilers for anything in that link.
Re: An idea 05/22/2013 04:29 PM CDT
If you all want to discuss this we can, but the Unlife translates to the ultimate, unambiguous evil. CoL has nothing to do with the Undead directly, but the power of evil through spirits and souls powers them.

It actually has a rather easy parallel. Your spirit is beholden to your masters. When you die, in the end, and go demonic, with demons and the demonic also using this power of evil, that translates into your powers. The souls of the little animals you kill and your tainted spirit siphons power for the demonic.

You don't have to call it Unlife. Vathors, demons, extraplanars like ithzir and the Vvrael and their anti-mana are all forms of the evil power that gives life to the Council's power and how it's bestowed upon it's membership.

This hasn't, shouldn't, and inevitably will not change. The mafia angle was somewhat tried. That is a perfectly acceptable "front" to the occult demonic origins of the society. The Council of Light is an evil organization, even if the membership doesn't know that, realize that, uses it, or seeks to betray it in the end. It is wholly evil in the end and the mafia angle doesn't support that aspect in the deeper levels of it's existance, only on the surface.

-J of G
Re: An idea 05/22/2013 04:36 PM CDT
I'm working on the 1990-1993 aspects of the Council. I've personally invested a good bit of energy into explaining the Unlife better, which isn't as complex as people seem to think it is.

"The worst fate is if the soul itself is somehow destroyed, something which can only happen to someone who falls victim to one of the Unlifeā€™s cruel servants."

Phoenix fights evil. It always has. When towns get invaded and people try to take over we tend to be there. When dark Arkati try to end the world. We fight it. When demons pop up using their power. We fight them. When people try to constrict free will and choice. We fight that also. The Council we learned a long time ago that it deceives so we don't focus on individual members (Lythe's Folly), but we ensure that we educate people so they can willfully make a decision about service to it. This focuses on the free will aspect because there is a certain twist Council members go through that usually isn't known in advance and thus trickery.

I've heard the "My soul isn't owned by them" angles" but my answer to that is: "You can believe what you want to believe, but it doesn't make it true."

The misconception is usually with Voln and the Undead and people tend to get confused there as it pertains to Phoenix. They share an aspect of our mission, but Unlife doesn't equal Undead in todays concepts. It didn't really back then either, but the line blurred. Most of the powerful embodiments of the Unlife/Demonic evil power were living beings like a Dragon, some demi-god figures, and priests. They just happen to often use the Undead as minions that come from their powers.

-J of G
Re: An idea 05/22/2013 09:40 PM CDT
<<<You don't have to call it Unlife. Vathors, demons, extraplanars like ithzir and the Vvrael and their anti-mana are all forms of the evil power that gives life to the Council's power and how it's bestowed upon it's membership.>>>

Interesting take, but I don't think the Vvrael are a good example. When they threatened our realm, Arkati of both Lornan and Liabo united to hold them back, including Luukos who is so often associated with CoL. The Vvrael are something beyond evil, much akin to the Borg of Star Trek, or a killer black hole. Soulless, relentless, insatiable. I can't see anti-mana having anything at all to do with the Council, honestly.

~ Heathyr
Re: An idea 05/27/2013 03:28 PM CDT
The Adventurers Guild is run by the Poobah. (To my character in COL at least)

The only problem with COL and societies in general is what Abbottb pointed out:

>At this point in time, I have a friend who is currently going through COL because she doesn't have a society reset and can't rejoin sunfist. And doesn't want to do voln.<

It bothers me a bit that we can and do change our societies so freely. Not sure if this can be changed even if the player base desired it. Maybe more society specific storylines would help.
Re: An idea 05/27/2013 06:24 PM CDT
>It bothers me a bit that we can and do change our societies so freely. Not sure if this can be changed even if the player base desired it. Maybe more society specific storylines would help.
WOLFFC3

I agree with you that it's disappointing things like society can be changed at a keystroke. However...

Collectively, people (generally speaking) refuse to deal with consequences of any sort. RP, mechanical, etc. Look at banishment, for example. Ain't no GS player got time for that!

-farmer
>"Mine lights my character on fire and makes her all glowy." -Raelee
Re: An idea 05/31/2013 04:52 PM CDT
>It bothers me a bit that we can and do change our societies so freely. Not sure if this can be changed even if the player base desired it. Maybe more society specific storylines would help.

I'm not so sure I understand your issue here...especially when it comes to CoL.

One, it's a puzzle to leave the society...even if most people know the answer.

Two, from an RP perspective, if your character went through the whole process thinking that the Poobah was the jolly fellow he pretended to be only to find out, after mastering, that the powers he gave/taught you cost your soul...it would seem prudent to many to get their souls back and see if there was an organization that didn't lie to it's membership until it was too late. Perhaps they would also take a bit more time to research the true intent of the other societies befor deciding to join.

If you mean that you have issue with the society reset...ok...I'll buy that...but ISMANO pretty well covered that one.

I and a number of pures started CoL for wracking and then switched to CoL...or possibly GoS...once mana was less of an issue. Of course I'd never want to go back, so I could care less about the society reset.

--Jurp
Re: An idea 03/10/2016 03:10 AM CST

>The Dark Assassin, in my mind is the enforcer. I personally have never seen him in action in recent years. I do believe that I did see an assassination many many moons ago.

Sorry to Necro a 2 year old post, but i had to comment.

I saw more than you did. :P I saw no less over the past 10+ years than 12 assassinations.

Most of them were a GM Controlled Player Character, but they also had a critter version of the dark assassin that they occasionally threw in, that was like, totally buffed and impossible to beat. period.

And most of them were in connection to the storyline that former GM Khaladon ran in the landing when the original bathhouse went bye-bye.

Honestly, it was never a dull moment when you saw Lacheis.....if you saw Lacheis. hehe.

I wasn't as involved with that storyline as i could have been due to life stuff, and work, back then. I just wish we could do some more stuff like that.

Basically, Lacheis needs to come out of retirement. :P All of my CoL characters are still waiting for the debt to be called in. I would have thought Cross into Shadows would have been a perfect time for that. I'd love for another CoL storyline.
Re: An idea 03/10/2016 08:00 AM CST
Lacheis was indeed a great NPC. It'd be nice if COL had an NPC structure similar to town militias.
Re: An idea 03/10/2016 08:48 PM CST

Yeah....you know how dumb people were...I can remember getting a message from the Poohbah thanking me for remembering my oaths...after two loudmouths were discussing the "family business"

Just wondering....is that still an acceptable use of the report verb?
Re: An idea 03/12/2016 10:12 AM CST
>Just wondering....is that still an acceptable use of the report verb?

So far as I know, you can get posts pulled from these forums for game secrets, but it's not a policy violation to talk about game secrets in game. Whether the appropriate in-game response is YOU DIE NOW is all RP, nothing to do with policy.

The deathbot will come back eventually.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: An idea 03/16/2016 01:30 PM CDT
It's been a while since I went through the Council, and I would have sworn that when you learned Hopelessness you were told that it drained ten (10) Life Levels (what Spirit Points were called, at the time). (Bear in mind that this was before Enhancives.)

Which seriously ticked me off when Krakii wound up with 12 spirit--again, this was before Enhancives... so it was a program bug at some point--and I wanted to test it. And yes, it killed me. :)

Now, with Enhancives as common as they are, I suspect that the wording has been confirmed to make clear that it will drain 'all', however many you may have.

Other methods of Spirit Drain (and therefor, death) existed:
- Kree had the sword that would drain from everyone in the room,
- Spirit Slayer/230 would drain twelve (12) on a successful cast--again, before Enhancives the most that a person could have was 10... you had to either scamper to find a Well of Life from a Cleric, or be a Dwarf/Halfling and hope you got really lucky with a pulse while the spell ran--but it only took one per round and rounds, like currently, had a certain... elasticity,
- Undead could potentially take one on a successful hit,
- probably some others I'm forgetting.

Hopelessness was a normal death, but had an immediate decay effect. The only time this was an issue was if you had managed to get down to no deeds. (I start getting twitchy if I have fewer than 5.)
Re: An idea 03/17/2016 03:57 AM CDT
<<...Lacheis...>>

It was sort of my fault that the mayor got assassinated for betraying the council. He was hunting for secret societies and I pointed out the body under Moot Hall should have been his predecessor, and he would presumably have been the one that put Sleepy in charge of guarding the town gate. I was surprised when the Bathhouse was actually destroyed.

If it were up to me the Council of Light would be based in some kind of demonic power. There would still be no actual "council", just a false front for another evil order.

<<Hopelessness was a normal death, but had an immediate decay effect. The only time this was an issue was if you had managed to get down to no deeds. (I start getting twitchy if I have fewer than 5.)>> - KRAKII

I'm just assuming at this point the wording Lythe used in 1990 was misleading or wrong. Instant decay would certainly have been harsh enough.

Though I think it's a total cop out having your soul torn apart and the death goddess just stitches it back together. ;)

- Xorus' player

>A monastic lich points a skeletal finger at you and exclaims, "Your soul is forfeit!"
Re: An idea 03/17/2016 10:33 AM CDT
I too believe the demonic aspects of the group is the current day power source.
Re: An idea 03/17/2016 01:27 PM CDT
It's an interesting thing to consider. What are the other things that result in losing spirit?

Raising the Dead (308, 318, 1640), but this can be viewed as transferring it from yourself to another character.

Sacrifice, which seems more rooted in Necromancy.

Using a non-harming retribution for Cloak of Shadows.

Entering the Confluence, as well as random effects in the Rift.

So, there is definitely some basis for considering that interaction with other planes is a major source of losing spirit (or entities there, which are generally 'demons' but not always, but this depends on your terms).

It's one of those things that sort of bothers me these days: with several other ways of "looking drained" why would anyone who saw you looking that way assume it was from secret order rather than...some other source (whether they understand it or not). I always interpreted it as a rather mechanical hack to put some limitation on the society abilities than anything that really makes very much sense in Elanthia.

The deathbot will come back eventually.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: An idea 03/17/2016 01:55 PM CDT
<Though I think it's a total cop out having your soul torn apart and the death goddess just stitches it back together. ;)>

Yer, there are quite a few aspects of CoL that have become horribly out of date. At least when death mechanics worked the way they did in the early 90's there was an RP justification for Hopelessness even if it was otherwise useless.... now it's just useless (causes you to decay while dead according to the Wiki.... whoopee, I can give myself a harsher death penalty with one command rather then two...).

Without getting into a mechanical comparison of the three societies, it FEELS like CoL masters are kind of gypped. The other two both provide reasons and mechanics for continuing on with the RP after mastering them (gaining favor for Voln and like level hunting anywhere for GoS), in CoL you're just called a fool and kicked to the curb.

I think Masters of CoL should be allowed to use all those skins folk have had to collect to make belts that capture the souls of critters we kill, then those souls could be used to put temporary flares in weapons, armor, shields, etc. Heck, I'd even be happy if the flares only worked for CoL members.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: An idea 03/17/2016 10:06 PM CDT

I'd like to see fun teleporting and more mental/spiritual domination of critters. Hypnosis should make critters slump to the floor. There should be something that turns one critter against another. Etc.
Re: An idea 03/17/2016 11:52 PM CDT
A fluffy evil cat gaze would be a must. Why did we move off demons so fast? CoL has a storyline, it just isn't followed that strongly. People don't usually go all the way evil and nuance in CoL allows for a redemption path or a hehehehe I'm not that evil giggle angle. I always kind of associated Althedeus or any of the big demons as the current Council mover and shakers.
Re: An idea 03/18/2016 12:19 AM CDT
In the original context you would only have had spirit draining, outside of the resurrection process, in some form of interaction with forces of The Unlife. It would have made more sense in the early 90s to be revealing yourself with it, today it would just look like you are doing sorcery. (Whatever "sorcery" really is, which is a whole other can of worms.) The uncomfortable thing with the "unlife" concept for me is that strictly speaking it still exists even though it is outmoded. There is "anti-mana" and "corruption" mechanically, we have "dark essence" in the lore, we have "unholy" and "holy" power.

In the same way I would have the Council of Light be rooted in the demonic, I would make corruptive "dark" energy from other valences the distinguishing basis for why one extra-planar entity is a "demon" when another is not. It would inherently skew toward malevolence or violence. Unholy power would be based on that distinction. The undead would be conceptually linked to the demonic. Since the Dark Gods are supposed to have the same origin as the Light Gods in the modern lore, you would just say that they like to augment themselves with demonic power and it spills over in various ways.

The Council of Light would still need a somewhat different kind of background. There is no basis in the modern history for evil priests secretly infiltrating civilizations and collapsing them. Unless they are really bad at it, or very new to the game. They could even be a forgotten, resurrected order from the Age of Chaos, where they focused on keeping the western continent in perpetual darkness.

- Xorus' player

>A monastic lich points a skeletal finger at you and exclaims, "Your soul is forfeit!"
Re: An idea 03/26/2016 05:53 AM CDT
speaking of dark assassins, I believe there was an invasion of them a long time back and they had black-hilted dirks or something to that effect? I think I've still got one in a locker somewhere.
Re: An idea 03/27/2016 12:04 AM CDT
It's been a very long time since I have seen a "dark assassin" creature with its overpowered stats. I remember there was one by the cave entrance in manticores and thraks around 1999, when it was still a node that creatures did not wander into, screaming about souls and what not while killing everyone.

- Xorus' player

Re: An idea 05/10/2016 04:15 AM CDT
I think an interesting way to update this would be as follows:

It would keep its nice but oh no evil! feel this way, too. First, the regular steps would work the same. Then, a few steps in, you'd be tasked with rescuing a child, just like with the adventure guild, and returning them to a special guy in town instead of the guard. Yay you're noble!

A few steps later, you're tasked the same, only instead of bringing the kid to the associate in town, you take them to a special temple near HQ. They'll be giving the child a special blessing to make sure the wounds heal right. Man, you're nice!

Some more collecting, etc, and you're tasked with child three. You save 'em, bring 'em to the special place, but it turns out, they are being sacrificed by evil. It's your first real indication, and maybe you want to leave with that? But hey, at least it isn't entirely your fault.

For the last step then, after more skinning and shopping trips, you're asked to bring yet another "lost" child to this place, but you must perform this sacrifice yourself. Now the blood is on your hands.

I don't really know about the why for those ideas, though a lot of the current why is a bit iffy. It would make characters a lot more culpable though, and most importantly, help explain why all those children are constantly going missing. "Ran off" indeed!

Anyhow, that's just my current thought of the day.
Re: An idea 05/10/2016 10:01 AM CDT
It would be intriguing to me to have the Adventurer's Guild issue a child rescue (to someone of the appropriate level) in the same area, and if your times overlap they "realize they have found the child!"... and need to rescue it from you.
(Sadly, that would be CvC, and probably a no-go. However, it would not necessarily be PvP, and we DO have all these (non-lethal) disablers nowadays....)
Re: An idea 05/10/2016 03:48 PM CDT
<However, it would not necessarily be PvP, and we DO have all these (non-lethal) disablers nowadays....)>

I can tell you right now that if this became a thing and someone tried to prevent me from completing the task, I'd hit them with 720 way before I'd even consider using 706.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: An idea 05/13/2016 02:22 PM CDT

Yeah....and I'd immolate. ....and get laughed at. sigh
Re: An idea 05/14/2016 08:28 PM CDT
I'm generally in favor of what I've called the "Misadventure Guild", though I'm inclined to it being helping all of the separate dark factions rather than one central society. The Krolvin want slaves, the Sheruvians want human meat, the Spider Temple wants sacrifices, the Phantom Gatekeeper wants souls, the nedum vereri just want someone who can love them right without leaving them, and so on. It would give some IC relevance to all of the background history in the game that is just sitting there now.

With the Council of Light I want to see some coherent, understandable malevolent purpose whatever the nature of the tasks. Maybe even keep the soul corruption.

- Xorus' player

>A voice in your mind says, "A pleasure to meet you Dreadlord."
Re: An idea 05/14/2016 08:32 PM CDT
>>With the Council of Light I want to see some coherent, understandable malevolent purpose whatever the nature of the tasks. Maybe even keep the soul corruption.

+1

Doug
Re: An idea 05/14/2016 08:35 PM CDT
There should be a special guild just for gnomes...

-- Robert

The town guard exclaims, "What do I look like, a scholar from Biblia?!"
Re: An idea 05/14/2016 08:39 PM CDT
There is - it's on Teras. Even comes with meals and a beautiful custom type of wall tapestry. Very cozy.

Doug
Re: An idea 05/15/2016 10:29 PM CDT
<There should be a special guild just for gnomes...>

Bah, guilds are just an excuse for pointy eared freaks ta feel special an tha otha giants ta emulate them. Us proper heighted folk dun need no stinkin guilds, we already know we're better then the rest!

Starchitin

Re: An idea 05/16/2016 05:20 AM CDT
The Lollipop Guild?

>A voice in your mind says, "A pleasure to meet you Dreadlord."