So, this is kind of how my mind work... 07/09/2018 04:13 PM CDT
...when I see something like this:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/28523-Bacus-Rd-Sedro.dash.Woolley-WA_rb/

(I think it's more striking if you start with photo #23 [of 25 in the presentation], so "go left-arrow three times" and then start looking at the photos.)

I immediately start thinking, "How cool would this be for me & my GemStone cronies?!?"

(Seriously, it's for sale right now, for less than a million bucks...)

And what I arrive at is, me & twenty four other folks (== 25) rope in some lawyer to set up a partnership, plonk a thousand dollars apiece as a down payment, fork over $300 a month as our piece of the ongoing costs, and we're only out ~$6500 a month operating costs (mortgage, taxes, PMI, whatnot); the business has $1k operating capital for things like gas, water, electric and so on.
Hell, with that three-car garage we can buy an SUV to have a run-around vehicle getting us to & from the airport every week...

Then we set up a schedule, in order by membership (1-25) and then--good Settlers player that I am!--reverse (25-1) selecting weeks of the year to be 'ours'.
25 partners, makes 50 weeks claimed, leaves 2 spares.
And the people who have "the week of" and "the week after" SimuCon week, get to take those two, also.

Presto! Instant vacation home that I could actually afford (after going in with 24 other people).

BUT HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE?!?!?

(Seriously, if you don't think it's cool, you didn't click through the picture slideshow. :)
Re: So, this is kind of how my mind work... 07/09/2018 04:31 PM CDT
And hold our own West Coast Con in it one week a year, too!?

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Re: So, this is kind of how my mind work... 07/09/2018 05:39 PM CDT
I mean, we would have to schedule so's not to compete with PAX...

Shall I mark you down as "first one interested"? :)
Re: So, this is kind of how my mind work... 07/09/2018 05:46 PM CDT

Nice - West Coast Simucon would be "bring your own tents".

Krakii? 25 people could also be divided $40K each, and just buy the thing up front. Then however much a month for on-going operating costs.

and I agree, if you don't think it is worth talking about, then you haven't seen the slide show.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: So, this is kind of how my mind work... 07/09/2018 05:50 PM CDT
... "it's not the down payment, it's the monthly payments that'll kill me..."

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Re: So, this is kind of how my mind work... 07/09/2018 05:51 PM CDT
Problem is that I can't finance 40k up front liquid, but I would be perfectly willing to accept that as an option. (That way the Combine would only need to mortgage that portion of people in my situation.)

Should I mark you down as "2nd one interested"? :)

(I'm only halfway joking about this, either. If there's a batch of people who would be interested... let's do this thing. I think all y'all are a pretty great bunch of folks, and wouldn't stiff the rest of us. [There would be legal recourse in the partnership docs, of course.])
Re: So, this is kind of how my mind work... 07/09/2018 05:52 PM CDT
That's the thing, Luxelle: I looked at that and said to myself, "Three hundred bucks a month? That's a credit card payment..."
(And for the record: not even the one linked to my Amazon Prime account, either.)
Re: So, this is kind of how my mind work... 07/09/2018 07:57 PM CDT
>> That's the thing, Luxelle: I looked at that and said to myself, "Three hundred bucks a month? That's a credit card payment..."

What is this "Credit Card Payment" you speak of?

-- Robert

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: So, this is kind of how my mind work... 07/10/2018 05:25 PM CDT
>>Should I mark you down as "2nd one interested"? :)<<

Can't do it. Still paying on my current castle.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: So, this is kind of how my mind work... 07/12/2018 02:25 PM CDT
(For the record: my first preference was for this property:
https://www.zillow.com/savedhomes/for_sale/2122202988_zpid/1_pnd/58.813741,-62.973633,10.746969,-133.461915_rect/3_zm/1_rs/1_fr/

Which you can see in the slideshow from this presentation:
https://www.zillow.com/blog/bavarian-style-castle-for-sale-160380/?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=syndication&utm_campaign=blog

Twenty acres, ~55 miles from St. Louis, HALF the price of the one in Washington state... only problem is, this one was bought back in early 2016 already.)
Re: So, this is kind of how my mind work... 07/12/2018 02:34 PM CDT
My mistake: the lake is 20 acres. The property as a whole was 100 acres (with barn).
Re: So, this is kind of how my mind work... 07/13/2018 10:30 AM CDT
That Bavarian Castle would have been perfect.
Re: So, this is kind of how my mind work... 07/13/2018 10:45 AM CDT
I know, right?!? <flail>

For the aggregate total of what some of our bigger years have been, we--the Simutronics playerbase as a whole--could've bought that sucker one year and just held 'Con there ever since.
(Getting there a day or more in advance and leaving a day or more after, I know that my hotel bill came to about a thousand bucks each year. And there were certainly years when we were in the 1k+ headcount range, I'm sure.)

With even a mere hundred acres, we set up some concrete pedestals and throw large barn-like structures over, ginormous (12') fans for air movers, big-ass HVAC setup, and call up the county distributor to back up the shipping truck for the liquor companies to the loading dock right over here, thanks....