When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong (trademark Dave Chappelle) 07/13/2010 02:48 PM CDT
I have a funny conflict story. At least I think it's funny...

In my defense, I was only 16 years old when this happened.

So I am minding my own business in the Landing, helping old ladies across the street and such, and I happen to rub my crystal amulet to see what is for sale, and I see this:

DrEvil: Selling a silver spidersilk pouch, MB 1 silver.
Murp: I would like to bid 1 silver on that fine pouch, good sir.

Then a few more people bid, and then this happens:

DrEvil: Selling a silver spidersilk pouch, CB 50k Murp three times!

And then DrEvil stops sending any thoughts. So I send him a private thought and say:

Murp: Do you want to meet at the bank? I'm assuming I won the bid.
DrEvil: I'm not selling it for less than 100k.
Murp: Then you should have set the minimum bid at 100k.
DrEvil: Whatever, you fairy.

I was about level 18 at that time, so I wasn't going to let anyone talk to me that way. I immediately decided that he would pay for his crimes. So I ran into DrEvil about three days later in Town Central in the Landing. It turns out that DrEvil was an empath!! I tried to interact with him, and he turned out to be AFK.

So I did the obvious thing, and dragged him to the drawbridge at Castle Varunar (the no critter part). That was a hell of a long drag, I'll tell ya. Then I just sat down and waited for him to get back to his keyboard. This was when I looked at him, and realized he was an empath, and currently had no arms or legs.

So he gets back, and the conversation goes like this:

DrEvil: What the hell is going on?
Murp: I just wanted to our continue our conversation on the amulet the other day.
DrEvil: Take me back to the landing or I am reporting you.
Murp: Are you sure you don't want to tell me I'm a fairy again?

*Remember, I was only 16!

DrEvil: Take me back or you'll be sorry.

About a minute passes, then a level 80 or 90 wizard shows up (this was back when you could guesstimate what level someone was because they would be in their 30's, 40's, or 110's...this guy looked about 110, so he was at least level 80). The wizard called wind and put me to sleep, then the GM answered the empath's report.

Now I'm sure the GM was only going to give me a slap on the wrist, but I was in no mood to listen. I wasn't using profanity or anything when he started to tell me why I was wrong (and I was pretty sure my "he called me a fairy" defense wasn't going to fly), but I basically said "I'm going to go eat dinner, I don't got time for you".

Then I got moved into that lockout room you hear about in legends, and I abused the REPORT command to let him know who was boss. Then the GM took away my ability to use REPORT, which I felt was cheating. So I ended up getting a 30 day lockout.

Murp
Re: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong (trademark Dave Chappelle) 07/13/2010 04:51 PM CDT
And here I thought you were going to end with the wizard in the lockout room with you for logging in another character to take care of his empath's problems....

- Andreas

EES Website: http://www.gsranger.net/
Foraging Galore: http://www.gsranger.net/guides/foraging/
PRO Resources: http://www.gsmeetinghalls.com/

Don't feed the troll, it only makes him worse.
Re: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong (trademark Dave Chappelle) 07/13/2010 05:32 PM CDT
>And here I thought you were going to end with the wizard in the lockout room with you for logging in another character to take care of his empath's problems....- Andreas

I never attacked the empath, but after being winded and slept by an uninvolved party (even though I kind of started it with the person I had a conflict with), I wasn't really in a mood to explain myself.

I attempt not to misrepresent any of the events, because I think it was a good lesson for me. Don't step on a senior GM's ego!

My only misrepresentation in my previous fake log reconstructed from memory, was my exceedingly polite comments (ie. "I would like to bid on that fine pouch, good sir"), and that was solely for attempted comedic value.

I was kind of hoping someone else had a similar funny story to share. I feel like I just streaked through a party and no one followed me onto the quad.

Murp
Re: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong (trademark Dave Chappelle) 07/13/2010 06:16 PM CDT
Just to be clear, I don't think the GM did anything wrong. I had a bad attitude because I felt justified, and just blew the GM off (not literally).

Murp
Re: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong (trademark Dave Chappelle) 07/14/2010 01:03 AM CDT
>I was kind of hoping someone else had a similar funny story to share.

I've squelched the warn interact text.

The kind of people who use warn interact are the worst sort of people who try to use it to ruin the game for everyone else. I realized a long time ago it was better that the verb didn't exist :)

Olivier/Chivalrous-Proud inventor of the causality destroying Droit ballista

(OOC) You whisper to Oweodry, "What do you think about that ACT she just did?"
>
(OOC) Oweodry's player whispers, "I think it's called the ACT verb not the IMPLICATE verb."
Re: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong (trademark Dave Chappelle) 07/14/2010 07:40 AM CDT
>>I've squelched the warn interact text.

That seems like a pretty bad idea to me. Since you can get in trouble (depending on circumstances of course) if you ignore it.

- Andreas

EES Website: http://www.gsranger.net/
Foraging Galore: http://www.gsranger.net/guides/foraging/
PRO Resources: http://www.gsmeetinghalls.com/

Don't feed the troll, it only makes him worse.
Re: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong (trademark Dave Chappelle) 07/14/2010 04:02 PM CDT
I am DrEvil!
Not really... I was just trying to run out on the quad with you :-)

Interesting and amusing story, and yes a good lesson.

My only comparison story would be/is that - my main character for a long period of time was an Onarian Priest - a zealot if you will.

Now, when someone threatens his life, he takes that very seriously. Suffice to say I don't have logs and can't truly or accurately remember the circumstances around which the character made a threat against my Priest. I can say this though, my Priest is extremely proactive in his taking such threats seriously. Afterall, you can't stalk and kill someone who's stalking you to kill you, right?

So, after repeatedly stalking and killing this character (and after each time giving him the opportunity to rescind his threat against my Priest) he eventually gets really upset, involves a GM, and uses that handy-dandy WARN INTERACT verb. Needless to say, the conflict ended there. Much to my relief, honestly. It's a lot of work being proactive in that way, and I as a player would prefer not to. It was however something I felt was entirely IC for my Priest.

It's amazing what people will do when they think you can't see them.
Re: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong (trademark Dave Chappelle) 08/09/2010 08:43 AM CDT
>I was kind of hoping someone else had a similar funny story to share. I feel like I just streaked through a party and no one followed me onto the quad.

>Murp

I don't have as entertaining of a story as you do, but it's about the only time I've ever had a conflict issue that resulted in death....

I had just started up my wizard and was level 6 (just learned Minor Fire!) and I was out tormenting ants under the Landing.

I was making use of my weapon and spells to take these over sized ants down and being a wizard, my swing AS was weak and my bolting ability was limited due to low mana (this was back when prep times were still around on spells and you were limited to +3 mana a training, stacked on top of what your base mana was).

It took me a little bit to clear out a room at times, so it was a little slower going, but the area was much less crowded than the sewers, so I liked it more.

I was battling a couple of ants and I was low on mana, only a couple left in my pool. So I was working on hacking the ants up with my falchion.

Here's where it gets interesting:

Another adventurer walks in on me and just starts working on killing the ants I've been fighting.

I asked him to stop since I was here first and that there are plenty of ants to be found through the rest of the nesting area....But I was ignored. I then told him that even the Raging Thrak's lesson on hunting, is to ask if people out hunting need help and not just jump in killing things.

I was ignored, yet again. So I warned him that I would put an end to his actions if he didn't stop or at least ask if he could join me......I was returned with nothing but silence and his weapon killing ants.

So, I prepped 906 (waited 10 seconds for my prep time), then burnt the adventurer to a crisp.

Only after this time did I get a response from him. He started cursing and screaming at me and calling me all sorts of names. I explained my actions and he didn't think I was in the right and he kept yelling and cursing....

Next thing I know, he vanished into the air. Seems a GM picked up on his loose tongue and pulled him into a private room. I never saw the guy again.

-Drumpel
Re: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong (trademark Dave Chappelle) 08/09/2010 09:54 AM CDT
That sounds like when Keeping it Real Goes Right.
Re: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong (trademark Dave Chappelle) 08/10/2010 07:44 PM CDT
Hey that was me in the ants! And you WERE in the wrong!

Sorry couldn't resist.
Re: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong (trademark Dave Chappelle) 08/15/2010 02:08 AM CDT
Got something similar.

Was my first Warrior, way back in the day. In the graveyard, just kind of waiting around, letting them swarm up for MSTRIKE. Have three in the room, and suddenly somone gets feared from the next room over.

Well at first I thought, just let him run back, no problem. But no, of course he opens up on my little herd. I poked him, assuming he had not "noticed" he just soiled his pants, and thought this the same dirge. After the second dirge was dead and searched Id had enough and I quickly finished the third before he could rob that one as well. His one attack on it puny and weak, I of course wore a grin while posing over my slain foe. I reminded him who was boss and that this room was mine to make war in... silence. I had obviouly cowed this little man, for he stood in wonder as I gathered more dirges into a managable mob, obliterating the masses when neccisary.

More and more dirges show up, and I was not the only target. In the midst of my dance of death, I failed to notice the puny man go down in his own struggles. When the dirt setteled, he was bleeding in the dirt, and would not respond when I spoke. I realized with shame I had caused this! I had struck him dumb with my perfect physique! In awe of my rock bod and "stupid" warrior talent. OOC I realized he was scripting afk and prolly gonna die. I keep the room clear while calling for a healer to come out to him. None willing to come out to him, and he, now near death, I start pulling him back to town. Get to the gate, start pushing on that when he comes back from afk.

The player screams and hollers at me for pullin hime outta dirges, and assumes Im the reasons he bleeding out.. (he dies from bleedout not 2 seconds after he pulls out his acantha leaf. I cringed.. My character burst a seam!)

He makes a huge fuss over it, blames me for the death, and tracks me down in town and hour later asking for the cost of the deed.

after he brought in the host, I calmly explained how I had protected his character while he "broke the rules" after his IC "rudeness," keeping in all detail of IC appolgies of "causing" this with my perfect body.

Other guy logged out on the host while being lectured on scripting.

Think armstrong from full metal alchemist. only years before, but spot on.
got laughs thinking of that after watching full metal.

anyone else ever have a character that "showed up" in somone elses book, movie, game, etc... ???

Ack! Scarab!
Re: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong (trademark Dave Chappelle) 09/30/2010 01:20 PM CDT
<<anyone else ever have a character that "showed up" in somone elses book, movie, game, etc... ???

Right after Al Gore invented the internet I started playing "Age of Empires: Rise of Rome" online. I wanted a unique name and came up with Krianna. I searched it on Yahoo! (no google then) and there was one entry for some kind of industrial company in California. I went with and a few years later I started seeing it all over. RPGs, fantasy stories even a video game.
Not saying it came out of that username, but I did play with a lot of peeps that worked for EA and different gaming/computer companies. Who knows. Now there are millions of them.

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Re: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong (trademark Dave Chappelle) 09/30/2010 01:24 PM CDT
And no, that's not my facebook.

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Re: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong (trademark Dave Chappelle) 11/12/2011 11:37 PM CST
I remember when I first started playing Gemstone, I was a brand new warrior in Icemule. I was probably 12-13 years old, and had no clue what I was doing.

Eventually I wander out to Thyrils, and see this guy killing them. His name was Ankroson, if anyone remembers him. Well, I see a box on the ground and immediately think "YES TREASURE" and grab it and run off.

Well Ankroson chases me for like 30 minutes, but can't attack me because I was still level 1. So he ended up getting a blue crystal and killing me from defensive stance.

Then once I get rezzed, I make my way out to the farm with the wraiths / tree spirits and start talking to people there, who obviously knew I was a kid and had no clue what roleplay was. All they kept saying was "don't go southeast". So the first thing I did was went southeast, and promptly died.

That's when Cavemann and Ashemu rescued me and sat down with me at a table and explained a lot of the rules and etiquette of the game to me.

It's been like 16 years since then, and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

The only real conflict I had after that on my first character was Pumachow when we were fighting hobgoblins. We killed each other back and forth for a long time after that...and I can't honestly remember what it all started about heh.
Re: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong (trademark Dave Chappelle) 12/14/2011 08:10 PM CST
The above story could have easily been me as well, except that before I started playing a warrior based out of Icemule, I played an empath that attacked and killed someone (mainly thanks to a lucky drake falchion flare) because he attacked a rolton I was fighting. I didn't even try to talk to him, I just swung and got that special text it gives you when you try to attack another player as an empath. It was right at the ice patch too, so he had to be rezzed out there. I remember getting silenced or thumped by an older player over it somehow. I was real annoying, though, and that happened to me all the time.

I ended up going to the Landing with the empath at level 5 and begging for money on the amunet after someone stole a mithril dagger from me. A random sorcerer came up to me and limb disrupted me until I died and I ended up decaying without any deeds.

I then rolled up a sorcerer and was hunting in the rats/cave worms area when this other sorcerer came up to me and tried to kill be with blood burst -- so I chased him around town and got him with my own blood burst and he bled out in town center. This time I got sympathy since he had been attacking other plays and someone bought me a new drake falchion when I lost my stuff. I never made it past level 1 with the sorcerer and soon rolled up a warrior after someone explained I didn't know what I was doing and should learn to play with a warrior.

By the time I was playing as a warrior I had gotten owned enough times by higher level characters that I avoided conflict. There was, however, this one time me and this guy Darcheart or Darchart or something got in a feud. He was a higher level than me and was threatening that he was gonna kill me for an extended period. I'm sure he would have since he was big into PvP, if I recall correctly. He caught up with me in silverbacks and made this big scene, waving goodbye to me and having his friend act like his chauffeur, handing him the blue crystal. Then an orc came out and swung at me and he saw that my DS was way higher than it should have been. I didn't know what I was doing back then (still probably don't) so I had triple trained in shield use every level so I could get around most places without getting hit. He then put his weapon away and hugged me and tried to act like he had a last minute change of heart since he liked me so much.

Back in the AOL days things were certainly more chaotic. It seemed like there would constantly be some random character going on a killing spree in a lower level hunting area or something.
Re: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong (trademark Dave Chappelle) 12/24/2011 07:22 PM CST
I remember a loooong time ago, when I was playing one of my very first sorcerers and I was a real jerk. Being oh-so-sorcerer-y(or so I thought) I was stirring up trouble and got into some fights and killed a few people. Pretty standard for an adolescent playing a sorcerer, really. Except that somehow a posse got organized to go after me. A posse led by my best friend, too. Thankfully I had acquired an invisibility amulet and was sitting in the locked room upstairs in thraks, with the posse, and learned exactly where they were going to spread out to look for me. I was so worried about the invisibility wearing off that I kept rubbing it every 5-10 minutes. It had to have been like 10 years ago, but I still remember it as being an awesome if worrisome time.