Can we not, please? 08/03/2014 04:57 PM CDT
As a player, I love a little conflict to enliven my gaming. It adds some spice, and because real life is hardly conflict-free, some verisimilitude. There's one bit of real-world thinking that I hope we don't let intrude too much into gameplay, though, and that's implying any woman you disagree with is a whore. It's taking the easy way out, it stifles discussion instead of fostering it, and it's frankly uncomfortably close to real-life nerves for some of us.

Elanthia isn't inherently feminist. The Faendryl have a patriarchy, not a matriarchy (well, except for those three times when a Matriarch took over for a time). Women in Elanthian history are more often victims or political pawns (Cosima is the most recent example) than agents of change in their own right. Those are the IC facts, but during conflict, we need to take some OOC factors into account as well, and answering every verbal thrust and riposte with "you're a whore" is a cheap, facile way to shut down what would otherwise be a nice give and take. It's also a pretty silly way to discredit someone, if you think about it: "Oh, yeah? Well, you go on a lot of paid dates." People do that garbage enough in real life, and it's just dumb. I'd really like it if conflicts here could seek a higher level.

"But my character thinks that other character is a whore!" Yeah, well, if Lylia were real, she'd probably think a lot of ugly things too; she's mean. Because I'm in charge of what she gets to think and say, I refrain from saying the things that shut down dialogue and risk offending the player behind the target character. I'm not saying no character should ever call another a woman (or man, for that matter) of easy virtue, just that it shouldn't be the answer to any and every discussion:

"Clearly, the Empire was going to invade; look at these documents."

"Yes, but you're a whore."

"You must understand that the Empire has our best interests at heart."

"So what? You're a whore."

"We should stop fighting each other and turn our eyes to the real threat."

"Sorry, I couldn't hear you over all that whoooore."

It doesn't even make sense in most contexts. Lylia, despite being a proper married lady with a rather stiff public persona, has even had that hurled at her in discussions. That would be laughable if it weren't an indication of just how pervasive that foolish and facile non-argument is -- not just in the game but in the real world. Don't like what a woman is saying? Call her a whore. It gets really old. There are times when it's warranted -- a character puts the moves on another character's husband, say, or publicly brags about her goal of warming some NPC's bed -- but it isn't the answer to every discussion. When I see it done, no matter who's doing the talking or which side of the conflict my character takes, I cringe as a player.

I'm not trying to govern anyone else's roleplay or tell you what you can and can't say, nor am I a proponent of political correctness in Elanthia. I'm just asking that we think about what we say to other players' characters and whether those things open dialogue or slam it shut. Do those comments make sense IC, or are we going for the easy, lazy jab? Could something hurt a player and not just the character he or she plays? Would arguing against the substance of what a character says be more effective than attempting to dismiss that character altogether?
Re: Can we not, please? 08/03/2014 05:09 PM CDT

Lylia,

I agree 100%. I don't think calling people a whore is a valid RP choice except in very limited circumstances where that is actually part of a specific storyline (which it is not at the moment).

I'll even take this discussion one step further: it's fun to argue and bicker with one another, but if everyone just slings ad hominem attacks all day long, it gets old and it's not interesting. An insult peppered here and there can be funny or poignant in specific circumstances, but if we all just stand in a circle saying "yer dumb, no you are", we are just wasting each other's time.

-Madmountan
Re: Can we not, please? 08/03/2014 05:40 PM CDT
<it's fun to argue and bicker with one another, but if everyone just slings ad hominem attacks all day long, it gets old and it's not interesting.

I agree, and it's why I've taken to removing Lylia from gatherings of Cross adherents and their opposition. It's more an inevitable byproduct of the pace at which the story unfolds than any lack of creativity on the part of players, but any large-scale discussion between the two factions pretty much boils down to "I know you are, but what am I?" I can't come up with anything better than that myself, so I get out unless some new bit of information is being discussed, e.g., those maps and plans from the Earl's desk. It's natural for the story to take place over weeks and months, and I love that Kenstrom and company are thinking on this grand scale, but I need to find ways as a player to drop out of the conflict for a bit. The Midsummer Nights festival has been a wonderful vacation from the Landing's woes.

I worry a little that it might give the impression I'm only into the story when NPCs are around, but it's more that when an NPC is there, things are a little more orderly. I like conflict, but only a little conflict. Otherwise, I feel like I'm in a room of young-Earth creationists talking to evolutionary biologists or maybe a bunch of writers who are pro- and anti-Oxford-comma. No one's going to settle these debates or persuade anyone, and while it's sometimes fun to spar for the sake of sparring, a steady diet of it isn't to my tastes. I push away from the table for a bit. Hey, that leaves more vitriol for everyone else, right? :)

--- Lylia's player, who is a lot less quarrelsome than her character
Re: Can we not, please? 08/03/2014 05:44 PM CDT
Forgot to add that the Oxford comma is clearly the correct and reasonable way to write. I've had to co-exist for so long with the heathens who just omit it, leaving that grammatical door open as if they were raised in a barn, that I don't always use it either, but here's why it matters:

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/oxford-comma-cartoon/oxford-comma-jfk-stalin/
Re: Can we not, please? 08/03/2014 06:14 PM CDT

I agree with you, Lylia's player, and I hope that I haven't done that - I don't think I have.

I'm also going to agree with Madmountan's post. Everyone's insults are no longer interesting or relevant. They're just lazy RP. Don't agree? Well, you're a big stupid head and your mama dresses you funny. I go from feeling totally immersed into the character into feeling as if I've stumbled onto a grade school playground.

While none of this troubles me too much, as it tends to feed into the growing sense of contempt that he feels for certain points of view, which makes it easier for him to do and say what he feels is best.. if there IS anyone left with genuine concern over an increasingly troublesome situation, their message is absolutely getting lost.

If your character can't deliver your message of faith or belief without insult? You're doing it wrong. IMLTHO

Mind you, sometimes the insults are necessary to do just that: end the conversation. And I expect that at this rate, my character will just resort to indulging on absinthe and returning the favor. Which, if his past is any indication, will be far more colorful and creative than anything I've seen so far. :-)

~ Bill, Coyote.
Re: Can we not, please? 08/03/2014 06:41 PM CDT
This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

“Always forgive your enemies--nothing annoys them so much.”
Oscar Wilde

-The mind behind Rowmi's eyes.
Re: Can we not, please? 08/03/2014 08:37 PM CDT
Seems a reasonable request.

~Taverkin
Re: Can we not, please? 08/03/2014 10:01 PM CDT
Absolutely agree with your point, Lylia. I just have to point something out.

<<Elanthia isn't inherently feminist. The Faendryl have a patriarchy, not a matriarchy (well, except for those three times when a Matriarch took over for a time). Women in Elanthian history are more often victims or political pawns (Cosima is the most recent example) than agents of change in their own right.>>

Not.... quite. There are many examples of women in positions of power and influence. Three Elven Houses were founded by women (Linsandrych Illistim, Callisto Loenthra, and Sharyth Ardenai), and the Turamzzyrian Empire was founded by a woman (Selantha Anodheles). Most of the rulers of House Illistim have been women, and I'd wager several of the other Houses have been as well. Women have held influence in the military, politics, finance, religion, academia, and so on. I believe I've heard a GM outright state that elven culture views women as equals. The humans might look otherwise, but I wouldn't be surprised if men were used as political pawns in human politics just as much as men.

In fact, the Faendryl might be the weird one out in this instance as being a patriarchal society. As you've stated, however, women aren't without influence there, either, as they've assumed rulership on a few occasions, and there are plenty of other ways to acquire power even if the highest position is out of reach.

Gretchen

Visit the GSGuide wiki, now home to merchant shop inventory lists! http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/GSGuide_Wiki
Meeting Nilandia: http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Nilandia
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Can we not, please? 08/03/2014 10:08 PM CDT
>Mind you, sometimes the insults are necessary to do just that: end the conversation.

You're right, and as I noted in my first post, sometimes garden implements such as spades and hoes are exactly what they seem to be. There are occasions when a character's behavior merits some similar in-character nastiness in turn. Sometimes it's hard to see all that leads up to an exchange of insults, too, so what may be an entirely legitimate war of words between two characters only looks shocking to people who walked in on the last part of it.
Re: Can we not, please? 08/03/2014 10:27 PM CDT
You're right. Women have played countless key roles as rulers, founders of empires and of course as gods since roughly half the Arkati are women. I should have said current events and not history, particularly with Cosima but also to an extent with Madelyne, who's arguably both victim and villain. Some of that probably unrealistic perception of mine may come more from the player-base and those who've taken up Cosima's name as a rallying cry because she was so innocent and helpless than from any inherent diminished role for Elanthian women in history. "Innocent and helpless" isn't too far removed from "ignorant and feeble" in my character's eyes, and I can't really justify Lylia's giving two figs about the woman (and indeed, she doesn't -- not even a single fig).

That's all recent human history, though, and it doesn't begin to touch the millennia during which the Elves have had sovereigns who ruled on the strength of their wits, their skill at political intrigue or their lineage than on their gender. I don't know enough about other cultures to say much on their history, but you're right -- I should've dug deeper before making that claim.
Re: Can we not, please? 08/04/2014 12:42 AM CDT
Hey now. I know this is the Conflict folder, but do you really want to start the comma debate?

Because I'm ready if you are. ::cracks knuckles::

Dave, Brandain's Bard, Cambridge Guide adherent. Because as General Melchett told us, "Oxford is a complete dump!"
Re: Can we not, please? 08/05/2014 07:15 AM CDT
To be honest, I was pretty shocked when Ivas's temple was destroyed and the corpses of the priestesses were reanimated, they actually used the term whore. I know Kenstrom definitely enjoys to surprise and revile, but not personally the sort of thing I prefer. (But, in contrast to the OP's situation, it was at least somewhat relevant to Ivas...though still fairly irrelevant to any actual points.)

As far as the fact swearing is against policy, I'd surely lump this in with most the other words which I assume are not allowed. Actually I don't specifically know what words are disallowed, but despite swearing a lot in real life, I try to err on the side of caution in game. (And no, I'm not asking any players to post a list of Carlin's seven dirty words -- you'll get yourself into trouble.)

In regard to gender issues in the game as exhibited by its player base, this post only scrapes the surface. Female characters getting repeatedly hit on is certainly a more frequent problem from what I know. Though I have to wonder, if calling your character a whore is someone's idea of A) Roleplaying or B) Critical discussion, it's pretty hopeless to think such a request on the forums will bless them with more brain cells.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Can we not, please? 08/05/2014 12:28 PM CDT
It's definitely pretty crappy that anyone would consider calling someone else a whore a reasonable thing to say in an argument (in general, let alone in game) and it's a sign that someone just failed to make their point. I'm actually surprised it's allowed in game since I wasn't at Ivas's temple destruction.

Personally, if someone had called my character this, I would have assumed that the word was not allowed in game so I probably would have REPORTed it just like if someone had used any other choice words that probably aren't allowed in game. Even if the word is allowed, I would have reported it because it would definitely be something I'd interpret as an insult directed toward me as a player rather than my character, especially if it was an ongoing thing. So maybe try that?

I also agree that a lot of the storylines do have a significant element of men as actors and women as victims, which is pretty unfortunate.

That said, I totally disagree about Oxford commas. They are wholly unnecessary if one phrases ones sentences correctly, as noted by every English-speaking country other than the USA (which has also bastardized the spelling of words such as "colour", "centre" and "honour").
Re: Can we not, please? 08/05/2014 01:06 PM CDT
Given that the Ivas temple's decor and general background imply the possibility of temple prostitutes, the term "whore" is logical there. Again, that's calling a spade a spade -- or a hoe a hoe, I suppose. It's also understandable in specific instances between PCs, such as when it's an agreed-on conflict that's being played out publicly or if another character is in fact roleplaying a prostitute, which would be tough to do well and color within the lines, but it's possible. To me, the objectionable thing about "whore" isn't the word itself but when it's used to stifle what someone says -- more specifically, what a woman says as almost no one uses the term on men. It's a silly way to discredit people if that's how it's being used.

You've been poisoned by AP-style lies, I see. Serial commas aren't superfluous; they add clarity and symmetry. On a purely practical level, it's just plain easier to have an "always add a comma" rule than the AP guideline of "stick it there if it'd be unclear; otherwise, omit it." Anytime you leave it up to a judgment call, you run the risk of editors assuming you're wrong no matter which way you decide, and that is utterly crazy-making. I've had assignments come back to me with commas added where I left them off and others that demand I remove these offensive extraneous commas immediately. Can't freakin' win. Grr.
Re: Can we not, please? 08/05/2014 01:31 PM CDT
<or if another character is in fact roleplaying a prostitute, which would be tough to do well and color within the lines, but it's possible.

Old Winniefred and The Madam in Talador......Awesome awesome awesome NPC's

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq
Re: Can we not, please? 08/05/2014 01:42 PM CDT
I have my suspicions about the flower girl, too. "Do you want to take a look at my ... petals?" I know what she's up to.

Ages ago when I first started playing, someone had apparently stolen every silver Lylia had on her, and when I noticed, the flower girl just happened to be walking by. She smiled, which was of course just a coincidence, but I was convinced that meant she took the money and was just taunting me. Since then, Lylia has never trusted that girl, not as far as she could throw her.
Re: Can we not, please? 08/05/2014 02:02 PM CDT
>To me, the objectionable thing about "whore" isn't the word itself but when it's used to stifle what someone says -- more specifically, what a woman says as almost no one uses the term on men.

This.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Can we not, please? 08/06/2014 03:20 AM CDT
<To me, the objectionable thing about "whore" isn't the word itself but when it's used to stifle what someone says -- more specifically, what a woman says as almost no one uses the term on men.>

Agreed. Although I would add that it also does not have the same effect on men at all and that there is no similar insult that would be directed at a man that carries the same weight.

<You've been poisoned by AP-style lies, I see.>

Not at all. I'm simply Canadian and we learn that the "and" makes an additional comma unnecessary.
Re: Can we not, please? 08/06/2014 09:51 AM CDT
American universities reserve their commas for the tuition bill.
Re: Can we not, please? 08/16/2014 05:19 PM CDT
Calling someone a whore isn't role play, unless that is the persons chosen profession, in which case it is an observation.

Implying they are a whore is RP, because someone doesn't rise to the insult or even notice it, then it is all over. If they do fire back, then you know you are dealing with witty name calling, Shakespeare style. That can be ok, but really it's best if you avoid actually using offensive words.

Shocking the heck out of people is overkill. Implication is better.

On that note, I have a human female warrior who is a mercenary-type. She isn't evil per se, but she considers herself to be a "whore" because she's woman who sells her skills... with a sword. She is rude, nasty, arrogant, but doesn't really desire to physically harm people. She needs her health to do her job, so she has to be nice to healers and such, assuming she is smart enough to notice what they do. This will involve some butt kissing to get back in to their good graces if she has insulted them in the past. Getting beat up in town isn't really a goal either. She basically suffers from poor social skills and verbal impulse control problems. I have few "triggers rules" for her, so she doesn't spout off at random, all day, every day. Rude is rude, but trolling is rude everywhere to everyone. I don't want that image.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone ambushed her out in the field, after many, many poor encounters with her in town. She's a jerk, I figure she is going to be on the receiving end some day.

Magarven the Mad