Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 10:15 AM CDT
When done with a 2Hand weapon, must both hands be free? Does it go through, or do you fumble around?
(Specifically, I'm looking at a Bard holding both Runestaff & Shield.)

If it can be done, is the effectiveness at all reduced thereby?
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 10:38 AM CDT
I don't have an answer for the question asked... but wouldn't you need to train in THW for feint to be effective?

I prolly shouldn't assume that bard lacks such training, but based on what you've told me about said bard elsewhere I figured it was a moderately safe assumption...

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 11:04 AM CDT
Because it's a runestaff, and I'm using magic ranks/level for defense, no, I don't need 2Hand ranks. It never gets use for physical attacks, but I saw someone mention 'Feint while Tonis' and that means I'm out of RT while they're still in a minimum of 2s more.

Basically, is the success a function of ranks of knowledge in the CMan, or ranks of knowledge with the weapon type? :)
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 12:41 PM CDT

You can find the answer to this question on the gswiki.
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 01:07 PM CDT
<You can find the answer to this question on the gswiki.>

Responses like this are only helpful if there's either a link to the page referenced or a copy/paste of the text. If someone like Krakii is asking the question, it's a good bet that they've already looked at any obvious places on the wiki and haven't found anything. Worse, if it's a newbie, it gives them the impression that we're just a bunch of jerks and does nothing to encourage them to stick around.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 01:14 PM CDT
<You can find the answer to this question on the gswiki.>
Responses like this are only helpful if there's either a link to the page referenced or a copy/paste of the text. If someone like Krakii is asking the question, it's a good bet that they've already looked at any obvious places on the wiki and haven't found anything. Worse, if it's a newbie, it gives them the impression that we're just a bunch of jerks and does nothing to encourage them to stick around.
Starchitin, the OG

I imagine he's more than capable of typing in gswiki.play.net and putting feint into the search bar.

You've heard that saying about give a man a fish today, and he'll ask for another fish tomorrow right....?
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 01:37 PM CDT
Build a man a fire, he stays warm for a night.

SET a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life....
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 01:39 PM CDT
And actually, I had come from the GSWiki page.

It says that a weapon is normally required--and the runestaff does, in fact qualify...--but it is not, technically, being USED as a weapon. The skill is being used, but neither are you Unarmed (because see also: runestaff in hand).

And the site is entirely mum about any potential hindrances for having your left hand NOT being used for the "two" part of a "two-handed" weapon.

Thus, as you may have gathered, me sticking my inquisitive nose in, here....
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 02:28 PM CDT
Go grab you a wand and a rank or two and give it a shot! Oh, and let us know. . .

"Thy rod and thy staff comfort he who was not set afire."

Doug
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 02:32 PM CDT
"Thy rod and thy staff comfort he who was not set afire." -- Doug

See also, Order of the Stick: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0203.html

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of Roy being really pissed, I shall fear no thwacking, for my lute and my banjo, they comfort me." -- Elan
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 02:33 PM CDT
>"Thy rod and thy staff comfort he who was not set afire."

>Doug

One of my favorite micro-brew beers has a lovely saying on it: "Tis better to curse the darkness than to light thy hand on fire."

~Contemplar~
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 02:45 PM CDT
Hah! Final Absolution!

In keeping with misquoting fun:

"I know a beer or two because I've drunk a beer or two."

Doug
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 03:57 PM CDT
>Basically, is the success a function of ranks of knowledge in the CMan, or ranks of knowledge with the weapon type? :)

Learning the weapon (e.g. THW) is irrelevant as far as I can tell. I would expect learning wspec on a runestaff to give you a bonus.
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 05:24 PM CDT
[Roll result: 348 (open d100: 75) Penalties: 0]
You swing your orase runestaff at a kobold's short sword and connect!
A kobold's short sword is knocked to the ground!
Roundtime: 5 sec.

Tada
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 05:33 PM CDT
Ok, maybe that doesn't help - I forgot I'm trained in other weapon types.
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 07:08 PM CDT

Armor Use.......................... 40 8
Combat Maneuvers................... 10 2
Multi Opponent Combat.............. 25 5
Physical Fitness................... 111 27
Dodging............................ 35 7
Perception......................... 40 8
Climbing........................... 74 16
Trading............................ 66 14

No weapon ranks, no magic skill ranks, 1 rank feint:

>cman feint[Roll result: 123 (open d100: 54) Penalties: 0]
You feint to the left, the giant rat buys the ruse and moves to block the blow that never came!
Roundtime: 3 sec.
>glanceYou glance down to see a fist-scythe in your right hand and a small statue in your left hand.

>put stat in packYou put a small statue in your golden yellow pack.

>cman feint[Roll result: 141 (open d100: 72) Penalties: 0]
You feint to the left, the giant rat buys the ruse and twists awkwardly to block the blow that never came!

>sheYou put a fist-scythe in your golden yellow pack.

>get runeYou remove a crystal-set rosewood runestaff from in your golden yellow pack.

>cman feint[Roll result: 117 (open d100: 48) Penalties: 0]
You feint high, the giant rat buys the ruse and moves to block the blow that never came!

>get statYou remove a small statue from in your golden yellow pack.

>glanceYou glance down to see a crystal-set rosewood runestaff in your right hand and a small statue in your left hand.
>cman feintYou can't wield a crystal-set rosewood runestaff very well with just one hand.

(Roll Result - d100) = 69 in all instances

Mark
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 07:21 PM CDT

>> You can find the answer to this question on the gswiki.

I laughed at this.

Telling Krakii to search on Wikipedia is a rough equivalent to telling Larry Page and Sergey Brin to "google it".

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 09:24 PM CDT
So, my takeaway is, "empty left hand;" thanks, Mark!
Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/22/2018 11:15 PM CDT
<cman feintYou can't wield a crystal-set rosewood runestaff very well with just one hand.>

The funny thing is, I logged my sorcerer in right before work to do a quick test and it turns out you can ATTACK with a runestaff with an item in the other hand:

>glanc
You glance down to see a black carmiln crosier curling around a carved smoke wisp in your right hand and a white flask in your left hand.
>atta
You swing a black carmiln crosier at a rolton!
AS: +28 vs DS: +28 with AvD: +10 + d100 roll: +94 = +104
... and hit for 1 point of damage!
Thumped the rolton's chest.
Roundtime: 8 sec.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Speak to me of 'Feint'... 06/23/2018 12:08 AM CDT
>The funny thing is, I logged my sorcerer in right before work to do a quick test and it turns out you can ATTACK with a runestaff with an item in the other hand -- Starchitin

The THW penalty for holding an item in the off-hand is (weapon skill/2). If you don't have any two-handed weapon ranks then the AS bonus will be the same with or without an empty off-hand. If you had, for example, 50 THW ranks (150 skill) then the penalty would be 150/2 = -75 AS.

Mark