Side by Side followup skill 03/12/2017 10:34 AM CDT
I had an idea, more of an invasion geared combat maneuver or a verb that becomes present when the requirements are met. It is geared towards shield users.

What if after training say 2 ranks of side by side, any group of 3 or more shield users with the requisite ranks can form a shield wall, and effectively block invasion creature passage. For instance CMAN SHIELDWALL [direction of travel to be blocked] or simply as a verb SHIELDWALL [direction]. Each member of the shield wall would then block one creature from moving in that direction unless they are utilizing it in a restricted movement area such as a gate or door of some kind in which case each member would then be capable of blocking 2 creatures. Ability to block creatures would then be based on several modifiers, how many creatures are being blocked, size of creatures being blocked, size of shields being used etc. Creatures falling within the exceptionally large category would have a chance to outright break the shield wall (knocking all members of the wall into a hard RT or maybe stun, as well as being knocked either prone, kneeling or sitting randomly). Concurrently the shieldwall could also eventually fall to a large press of creatures (ex. several messages leading up to the shield wall faltering "you dig your toes into the dirt in an attempt to prevent [creature] from breaking through" "the press of enemies has nearly taxed your strength, without help the shieldwall will surely fail!". Furthermore other people who meet the requirements can come and reinforce said shield wall, which through SIDE BY SIDE would provide DS bonuses to members of the wall, perhaps an additional DS bonus as well for being locked into the wall, perhaps based off of the leader of the shield wall's DS (to help out younger characters helping in the shield wall) while reducing DS of creatures caught by the wall. Something like this would allow more organized responses in the cities to either establish their own safe zones by blocking entrance, or attempting to block off entry to the cities entirely while groups inside kill off anything inside/that has broken through, as well as allowing mid range characters the chance to help against higher level creatures by being part of the wall, while others operate archery/ballista towers.

I unfortunately am not versed enough in deeper mechanics behind many things, perhaps someone with a little more knowledge might help me out or simply take the idea and run with it a little further, I just figured it seemed a decent idea from both a tactics perspective in dealing with invasions as well as a roleplay perspective (organizing members of the Crimson Legion say into squads or platoons for archery, shieldwalls, kill teams etc)
Re: Side by Side followup skill 03/13/2017 05:46 PM CDT

+1

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Side by Side followup skill 03/13/2017 06:55 PM CDT

This would really add another layer to invasions. Love the idea. +1
Re: Side by Side followup skill 03/13/2017 07:29 PM CDT
-1. Hate this.

>I unfortunately am not versed enough in deeper mechanics behind many things, perhaps someone with a little more knowledge might help me out or simply take the idea and run with it a little further, I just figured it seemed a decent idea from both a tactics perspective in dealing with invasions as well as a roleplay perspective (organizing members of the Crimson Legion say into squads or platoons for archery, shieldwalls, kill teams etc)

In an invasion, you stop creatures from moving forward by being alive and in a room. In general, creatures will stop to engage you, and will only run if they're injured. That's how you hold the gates in an invasion: you stand in front of them and don't die. If all the defenders at a gate die, then things will start moving into town.

Changing things to require a character train Combat Movement to train Side by Side to train Shield Wall just to keep invasion critters from walking past defenders would be hugely regressive. Low-level characters, especially pures, just won't have the points. High-level squares would be forced make a choice: burn a pile of incredibly limited CML points to train a skill that's essential in an invasion and useless outside of invasions, not train the skill and let their town down, or spend big money/BPs on CML migration potions every time there's an invasion storyline going on.

This strikes me as something that, if a GM wanted to, could be a scripted prop as part of an invasion, and should definitely not be baked into the CML system.
Re: Side by Side followup skill 03/13/2017 08:24 PM CDT
This would be a great addition to Phalanx maybe unlocked at rank 3+. Give everyone access to the shield bash, shield charge and phalanx specializations to make it possible and it will please alot of people.