Power Stance 02/22/2017 03:36 PM CST
Martial Stance
Power Stance
Available to: Warriors
This stance is only possible when under the duration of Surge of Strength (minimum of 3 ranks required)
Any creature that blocks or parries an attack from a two-handed weapon or polearm (two-handed) with a shield or weapon, the attacker has a chance to power through the block and strike the target. The chance to do this is 15% + 15% per rank. The attack will have an AS penalty of -25/-15/-10 for ranks 1/2/3 and can be performend once every 30 - 5 seconds per rank.
Requirements: two-handed weapon/polearm
Prerequisties: Surge of Strength (at 3 ranks)
Does not trigger with MOC or Berserk

If someone has Surge of Strength at 3 ranks - they gain +12 to AS.
If they have 1 rank in Power Stance, they'd have a -13 AS when powering through a block or parry (-25 for Power Stance rank1 +12 from Surge rank3 = -13)
They'd have a 30% chance for every block/parry against them to power through and strike the target, and it can trigger once every 25 seconds.

If someone maxed both:
5 ranks of Surge - they gain +16 AS
3 ranks Power Stance, they'd have a +6 AS when powering through a block or parry (-10 for Power stance rank3 +16 from Surge rank5 = +6)
They'd have a 60% chance for every block/parry against them to power through and strike the target and it can trigger once every 15 seconds.

Just something I thought of because I really, really hate when a target that is full offensive and they still block and/or parry my attack multiple times in a row. It would be nice to have a way to allow the E/B/P system be, for lack of a better word, circumvented (or maybe ignored).

I also figure it shouldn't trigger with a MOC attack (focused or unfocused) or berserk since you're just trying to strike as fast as possible, as many times as possible. I see it as a single target attack - the target brings up their shield and you attempt to use your brute strength to power through. If you have multiple targets or try to strike a single target multiple times, you're not able to exert your extra power since you're working on striking so many targets.

-Drumpel
Re: Power Stance 02/22/2017 04:06 PM CST
Well thought out and balanced, I believe.
Re: Power Stance 03/28/2017 12:25 PM CDT
This is what I'm talking about when a Power Stance would be great to have:

>at
You swing a perfect drakar flamberge at a shelfae chieftain!
AS: +168 vs DS: +42 with AvD: +47 + d100 roll: +58 = +231
... and hit for 96 points of damage!
Left leg ripped from socket at the knee!
A shelfae chieftain screams and falls to the ground grasping its mangled left leg!
The shelfae chieftain is stunned!
Your drakar flamberge flares with a burst of flame!
... 20 points of damage!
Burst of flames to abdomen toasts skin nicely.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>at
Unable to focus clearly, the shelfae chieftain blindly blocks the attack!
>
You feel at full magical power again.
>at
The shelfae chieftain stumbles dazedly, somehow managing to block the attack with its halberd!
>at
AS: +168 vs DS: +62 with AvD: +47 + d100 roll: +34 = +187
... and hit for 64 points of damage!
Diagonal slash leaves a bloody trail across the shelfae chieftain's torso.
The shelfae chieftain screams one last time and dies.

Target is prone and stunned, yet it blocked my attack twice (so annoying). The chance to power through one of those blocks just to get that killing blow sooner would be awesome.

-Drumpel
Re: Power Stance 03/28/2017 07:50 PM CDT
If you're not aiming your attack, you should use Mighty Blow.

Skill Name: Mighty Blow
Mnemonic: mblow
Hostile: Yes
Stamina Cost: 25 (+5 for two-handed or two-weapon attacks).
Other Requirements: Polearms cannot be used with this maneuver.
Available to: Warriors.
Prerequisites:
None
CMP Cost:
Rank 1: (Squares) 2
Rank 2: (Squares) 4
Rank 3: (Squares) 6
Rank 4: (Squares) 8
Rank 5: (Squares) 10

Re: Power Stance 03/28/2017 07:52 PM CDT
Right, can't put the closing table tag on the last line of the table, it has to be on its own line. 🙄

Let's try that again.

Skill Name: Mighty Blow
Mnemonic: mblow
Stamina Cost: 25 (+5 for two-handed or two-weapon attacks).
Other Requirements: Polearms cannot be used with this maneuver.
Available to: Warriors.
Prerequisites:
None
CMP Cost:
Rank 1: (Squares) 2
Rank 2: (Squares) 4
Rank 3: (Squares) 6
Rank 4: (Squares) 8
Rank 5: (Squares) 10
Description: A powerful swing that reduces the target's stance and increases the amount of damage done by a successful hit. This swing takes 1 second longer than normal.

Re: Power Stance 03/28/2017 08:50 PM CDT
>If you're not aiming your attack, you should use Mighty Blow.

I'm not looking for something to just simply do more damage or reduce the target's stance. Usually when I'm blocked/parried, the target is already prone/stunned and already in offensive and the creature usually does it multiple times in a row. Even if I were to aim my attacks, if they're still blocked/parried I'm still in the same boat.

I'd like to have a chance to just overpower them and go right through their shield block or weapon parry and strike them. As long as I have my Power Stance active and I actively have Surge of Strength up (rank 3 or higher), it could trigger over the duration of the 90 seconds that Surge is going. Say I have Power Stance rank 1 and Surge rank 3 and the martial stance triggered on a creature's successful block/parry:

>at
The shelfae chieftain stumbles dazedly, attempting to block the attack with its halberd!
You summon your inner strength and power through the block!
AS: +155 vs DS: +62 with AvD: +47 + d100 roll: +49 = +187
... and hit for 64 points of damage!
Diagonal slash leaves a bloody trail across the shelfae chieftain's torso.
The shelfae chieftain screams one last time and dies.

That's much more satisfying to see than:

The shelfae chieftain stumbles dazedly, somehow managing to block the attack with its halberd!

Especially if it happens multiple times in a row.

-Drumpel
Re: Power Stance 03/28/2017 09:44 PM CDT
I think what you are looking for is Cman Truehand. It does not negate 100% of E/B/P and is not a persistent effect but its something. The attack roll boost is nice as well.

Skill Name: Truehand
Mnemonic: truehand
Stamina Cost: Base 10. Additional stamina costs are determined by the Base Weapon Speed of your attack. A stamina penalty of +1 per second of base speed is applied for each second under 5 and +2 for each second over 5. For two weapon combat, an effective Base Weapon Speed is calculated by taking the primary weapon's base speed, adding half the secondary weapon's base speed (rounded up), and adding 1 to the result. The minimum stamina cost is 10.
Other Requirements: Cannot be used from hiding.
Available to: Warriors, Rogues, Paladins.
Prerequisites: None
CMP Cost:
Rank 1: (Squares) 2 (Semis) 3
Rank 2: (Squares) 4 (Semis) 6
Rank 3: (Squares) 6 (Semis) 9
Rank 4: (Squares) 8 (Semis) 12
Rank 5: (Squares) 10 (Semis) 15
Description: Increases the chance to hit your target for one swing. At Rank 1, Truehand changes the standard attack d100 roll to 20 + d80 and reduces the target's chances of evading, parrying, and/or blocking your attack by 10%. Each additional rank adds 10 to your combat roll (d80, d70, d60, d50, d40) and reduces your opponent's evasion, parry, and blocking ability by a further 10%.

Re: Power Stance 03/29/2017 08:35 AM CDT
>I think what you are looking for is Cman Truehand. It does not negate 100% of E/B/P and is not a persistent effect but its something. The attack roll boost is nice as well.

Kind of, but I'd still like to see something that just lets you blow through a block/parry in an attempt to strike the target. Reducing EBP with Truehand is nice, but not quite the same.

Being prone reduces EBP by 50% - according to the gswiki (https://gswiki.play.net/Prone )
My main wizard also gains an extra 11% EBP reduction when using Tremors.
Even when he has a target prone and stunned, along with using Tremors to further reduce EBP...creatures will still "magically" evade/block my bolts and it almost always happens twice in a row before I hit them with the third bolt spell.

EBP is very frustrating at times and I'd like to see my warrior just brute strength his way through parry/blocks from time to time. Just wishful thinking.

-Drumpel
Re: Power Stance 03/29/2017 09:09 AM CDT
For what it's worth, I recall with fond memories one of my characters being in, I think it was the Warfarer Mine, with a couple each of warfarers & warriors in the room, and he got knocked prone (in Offensive) by the EWave for like 15s...
...and all four of them then proceeded to run into him Evading or Blocking or Parrying.

Then he stood up and beat the snot out of the four of them, took their loot, and went on his merry way.

(Version with less anecdote: "sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander." What is annoying to us (when critters make our attacks be ineffective) is a vital lifesaver (when we make critters' attacks be ineffective)... So be careful what you wish for, in terms of "ways to mitigate that.")
Re: Power Stance 03/29/2017 10:56 AM CDT
>(Version with less anecdote: "sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander." What is annoying to us (when critters make our attacks be ineffective) is a vital lifesaver (when we make critters' attacks be ineffective)... So be careful what you wish for, in terms of "ways to mitigate that.")

Critters get use of martial stances?

I've never asked nor have I made notice of them using them.

-Drumpel
Re: Power Stance 03/29/2017 11:10 AM CDT
I wasn't addressing the Stance issue at all.
(Although now I'll take the opportunity to repeat my objection to (re-)use of the word 'Stance' for an entirely separate game mechanic, since we already had a use for the word 'Stance' for a game mechanic.
And, of course, see also Order of the Stick: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html )

I was speaking to the "not have to face EBP results."
Re: Power Stance 04/01/2017 02:58 PM CDT
Right, not sure what I was thinking when I made that post.

What I should have said was change your bonding flare to #1 (an attack that cannot be outright blocked or parried). That's 2 of the 3 right there, at least.