Sheru Ring from DM 06/19/2017 02:39 PM CDT

So someone was nice enough to give me the Sheru ring from DM. One of the script actions has me slightly upset. It is as follows:

You turn sharply this way and that, cackling ferally as your eyes gleam with unholy glee.

Why would a cleric of Sheru's eyes gleam with UNHOLY glee? Considering Sheru is holy to them?
Re: Sheru Ring from DM 06/19/2017 02:41 PM CDT
Because to the rest of the world. . .

Ok, maybe 'fanatic', or derivative thereof?

Doug
Re: Sheru Ring from DM 06/19/2017 02:56 PM CDT
feral? maniacal?
Re: Sheru Ring from DM 06/19/2017 04:08 PM CDT
<<Why would a cleric of Sheru's eyes gleam with UNHOLY glee? Considering Sheru is holy to them?

Unholy has other meanings to it, too. It doesn't specifically have to always mean non-sacred or non-hallowed. It can also mean sinful and wicked.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Sheru Ring from DM 06/19/2017 06:10 PM CDT
Ooo! I know. . .

'deviant' (that's kind of sinful, no?)

Doug
Re: Sheru Ring from DM 06/19/2017 09:59 PM CDT

>>Unholy has other meanings to it, too. It doesn't specifically have to always mean non-sacred or non-hallowed. It can also mean sinful and wicked.

unholy ventures into the realm of a discussion that took place in the cleric spells forum. To specify something as unholy would mean it went against the arkati. The same would qualify as sinful. Raising the undead to Lorminstra is sinful, but to Luukos it's not. I'm not trying to argue or cause problems, just piggy backing off the convo that took place with holy bolt's name and the comments Estid made regarding using the work unholy.

I think something better than "unholy" could have been used. Such as wicked. :)
Re: Sheru Ring from DM 06/21/2017 02:57 AM CDT
Personally, I prefer unholy to any of those alternatives...

Things considered "good" or "pure" are generally viewed as "holy" from a broader neutral perspective, whereas things that are considered "bad" are generally viewed as "unholy"... I always assumed the use (in this particular case) was merely a descriptive term, not a semantic categorization. While I understand the intent of the argument (and it is an interesting one), I just assumed it to be a case where the messaging was intended to be contextualized from a neutral perspective.

Or to put it another way: your cleric of Sheru may consider his own actions holy... but unless you're playing an atypical Sheru adherent of some sort, I think the larger contingent would probably categorize them differently, heh.

-- Wheels & Skulls Department

You see Blood Mayor Cruxophim the Blood Reaver.
“Blood for the Blood Mayor! Skulls for the Skull Office!”

[ Storyline: https://goo.gl/VQkXAZ ]
[ Order of the Shadow: https://goo.gl/88Ojff ]