Cleric and Deity Titles 08/23/2016 10:03 PM CDT
The following cleric titles are once again available to players: Celebrant, Theologian, and Soul Keeper. The first 2 just require the cleric be a member of the Cleric Guild and the latter just requires knowing up to the Preservation (305) spell.

In addition, the deity title suffix "of <deity>" will now also work on skill based titles. This applies to both clerics and paladins.

Enjoy!

GameMaster Estild
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/24/2016 07:15 AM CDT
Hooray! <3

--
Speaking to Shannivar, Puptilian says, "And that is why you do not understand what it takes to be a knight."

Speaking slowly to Puptilian, Aydan asks, "You seriously just said that?"
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/24/2016 10:23 AM CDT
Thank you! I missed my old skill-based title and it's great to have it back again!

>Your body tenses as you tighten your grip on your sweet pickle and glance over at Kenstrom.
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/24/2016 04:25 PM CDT
This Paladin certainly appreciates the change to deity titles!

~Teveriel's player
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/24/2016 05:10 PM CDT
>In addition, the deity title suffix "of <deity>" will now also work on skill based titles. This applies to both clerics and paladins.

Hooray! There are some cooky ones (Yegg) but some amazing ones now.

Shieldmaiden? Inquitor?!

Really excited about this and was something I had asked about. Thanks Estild!
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/25/2016 12:58 PM CDT
>Hooray! There are some cooky ones (Yegg) but some amazing ones now.

Yegg (old fashioned slang for safecracker) is the lockpicking title available to anyone with modest training, rather than a rogue speciality.

While one wouldn't expect to come across XXX the Yegg of Lorminstra, Tonis might well keep that sort on the payroll.
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/25/2016 01:45 PM CDT
There definitely some amusing title options, especially when looking at them without context. "Soul Keeper of Luukos" or "Brother of Koar" without context of a title mean greatly different things, but since the actual "Soul Keeper" title is based upon being able to cast Preservation (305), it's obvious it's in reference to someone who preserves souls in the name of Luukos vs. the keeper of Luukos' soul. Ultimately though, I don't think it benefits us to tell players they can't do some activity in the name of their deity (and be known for it), be it cracking safes for Lorminsta or not, so we'd rather just let you have fun with it and play your characters the way you want. :)

GameMaster Estild
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/25/2016 11:15 PM CDT
I think Stalker of Ivas could be a nice title combo. :D

Thanks for this update though! It is really nice, and though I am not sure my plans, I like knowing there are some cool options. I was already a Theologian of Imaera for a while there. I felt smart.
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/25/2016 11:50 PM CDT
I know it's been mentioned before, but could <of X> be opened up to any profession crazy enough to train 40 ranks of Religion Lore? I think that's a pretty decent show of devotion.
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/26/2016 12:36 AM CDT
Bah, the best combination has to be Spearman of Zelia....

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/26/2016 07:38 AM CDT
>Bah, the best combination has to be Spearman of Zelia....

Haha! That's awesome!

Charna's Idiot - With new and improved imbecile power!
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/26/2016 11:18 AM CDT
<I know it's been mentioned before, but could <of X> be opened up to any profession crazy enough to train 40 ranks of Religion Lore? I think that's a pretty decent show of devotion.

Yes, please. Mad would love to be a "Berserker of V'tull" or something like that.

-Madmountan's Player
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/27/2016 07:22 AM CDT
If something like this was done, only generally available skill titles should be allowed. Warriors shouldn't be able to get better deity titles than paladins. Bards shouldn't be able to get better deity titles than clerics.
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/27/2016 09:07 AM CDT
If they have higher ranks of the relevant skills, they absolutely should.
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/27/2016 10:31 AM CDT
<Warriors shouldn't be able to get better deity titles than paladins. Bards shouldn't be able to get better deity titles than clerics.>

Who gets to decide which titles are better then others?

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/27/2016 11:21 AM CDT
yeah, do what? I'm just talking about appending "of [deity]" to titles that we *already have*.

I'm not asking for new titles.
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/27/2016 01:22 PM CDT
>>If something like this was done, only generally available skill titles should be allowed. Warriors shouldn't be able to get better deity titles than paladins. Bards shouldn't be able to get better deity titles than clerics.

>yeah, do what? I'm just talking about appending "of [deity]" to titles that we *already have*.

Yeah, I was just asking for "Devout of [deity]" to be available to all professions who train 40 ranks of Religion Lore. For most professions, that's at the very least a waste of TPs, and actually hinders other characters with Spiritual circles (everyone but wizards and bards). Religion competes for Spirit Lore ranks with Blessing and Summoning but does nothing to benefit the 100s, 200s, 600s, and 1100s.

Warriors are looking at 600 MTP to unlock an RP title. If they want to spend it, let them. Actively hindering your training plan should be enough proof of devotion.

Heck, everyone else except Paladins and Clerics should get the title. They're poseurs, only training Religion Lore to power up their spells. The other classes are doing it for no benefit to themselves, out of pure spiritual devotion. </tongue in cheek>
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/28/2016 08:11 AM CDT
>Yeah, I was just asking for "Devout of [deity]" to be available to all professions who train 40 ranks of Religion Lore.

Devout of V'tull available to all would be fine. Bezerker of V'tull available to warriors but not paladins wouldn't. It would be outrageous for the "Beserker of V'tull" title to be out there, and a paladin to have to reroll to a warrior to qualify for it. Almost all skill based titles have profession restrictions, and this would be far from the only case where the most appropriate title would not be available to a religious profession but would be to a profane one. Pick your deity, look down the skill based title list for the best title for your deity, and the odds are its restricted to some non-religious profession.

Grandmaster of the Stars of Ronan available to monks but not clerics or paladins would be a certain amount of payback for the slights monks take on the misuse of their titles, but it still shouldn't be allowed.
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/28/2016 09:01 AM CDT
I dunno, but if my sorcerer could be the Pestilence of Aeia I'd have to seriously consider swapping out his Summoning ranks for Religion.... just think of how great a conversation starter that would be, esp in RR!

Starchitin

Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/28/2016 09:37 AM CDT
So just to be clear here, your position is one of spite and fiefdom-guarding? If paladins can't be Berserkers of V'tull, nobody should be able to, even though paladins don't know how to berserk?
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/29/2016 09:41 AM CDT
>So just to be clear here, your position is one of spite and fiefdom-guarding? If paladins can't be Berserkers of V'tull, nobody should be able to, even though paladins don't know how to berserk?

My position is that his paladins ARE beserkers of V'tull. What else do you call a physical type with a direct connection to V'tull?

Titles should not override deity RP with mechanical nomenclature, which is what would happen, not just for V'tull, but for most deities, if skill based "of deityX" titles were generally available outside religious classes.

Skill based titles are normally restricted by class (its only a tiny fraction that are available to anyone that meets the skill requirement), and this conflict between general RP meaning and specific OOC mechanical meaning is a good reason why that needs to happen. "of deityX" belongs with the vast majority that have class restrictions as well as skill restrictions.
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/29/2016 10:19 AM CDT
And I guess I couldn't disagree any more. Madmountan's entire persona is of a bloodlusting V'tullian berserker, which he is fortunately easily able to RP thanks to the fact that he mechanically has the skill Berserk, which allows him to...go Berserk. From an OOC standpoint, his persona came about AFTER I saw berserk in action (though he was already a V'tullian at the time). His bloodlusting while berserking went along perfectly with how I envisioned his fighting on behalf of V'tull would work.

I think we are having and "chicken and egg" style argument. In my opinion, mechanics can and do inform and enable certain types of RP that are much more difficult to pull off without the underlying mechanical assistances. I guess someone can build a panoply of berserking-consistent ACTions into their attack macros to approximate what it might look like to be a "berserker", but I can accomplish the same thing by typing BERSERK (and by using certain verbs while in a berserker's state).

If I have a dedication to my deity (which I always have), and especially if I'm able to show that via some mechanical proof (i.e. religion lore ranks), then I don't see why I "deserve" the "of V'tull" sur-title any less than a paladin. That just makes absolutely no sense to me. That's like saying only Priest and Pastors can call themselves Christians. Other followers of Christ don't matter. They can't be called "of Christ" or Christians, because the clergy have a better claim to the faith. Okay.
Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/29/2016 11:11 AM CDT
<That's like saying only Priest and Pastors can call themselves Christians. Other followers of Christ don't matter. They can't be called "of Christ" or Christians, because the clergy have a better claim to the faith.>

I was with you right up until this comment. If we had people IRL calling themselves police officers/doctors/etc of christ (or Muhammad, Moses, Buddha, etc), I would be moving to another state or country ASAP even if I had to swim across the Atlantic.

That said, if GMs had to check with everyone to make sure their RP wasn't being compromised every time they made a change to lore of mechanics, nothing would ever get done. Esp if they had to take into account silly stuff like a character that cannot berserk calling themself a "Berserker"

Starchitin

Re: Cleric and Deity Titles 08/29/2016 01:51 PM CDT
<I was with you right up until this comment. If we had people IRL calling themselves police officers/doctors/etc of christ (or Muhammad, Moses, Buddha, etc), I would be moving to another state or country ASAP even if I had to swim across the Atlantic.

Surely you jest? Maybe it's just where I live, but when I got into the doctor's office of a Christian doctor, I commonly see things on the wall that let me know they are christian. A cross, a plaque talking about christ. I see cops with rosaries hanging from their mirror. I see symbols, t-shirts and many other things that let me know people are christians all the time. I'm a laywer. If you look around hard enough in my office, you could figure out that I'm a Christian.

I wasn't advocating that people go around saying "I'm a police officer of Christ". I was saying that someone can be a Christian Police Officer, and you can know it, and it doesn't make them any less Christian just because they are a cop instead of a clergyman.