Bane 02/04/2016 04:24 PM CST
Does the ability to hunt with Bane offer enough of an advantage over Smite that most clerics follow the pantheon of Lornon?
Re: Bane 02/04/2016 05:41 PM CST
There are more non-undead than undead, but beyond that it's really an RP decision.
Re: Bane 02/04/2016 08:53 PM CST
<There are more non-undead than undead, but beyond that it's really an RP decision.

Yes, I understand this part. It just seems unusual to see a cleric of Liabo these days. Perhaps it is a fluke.
Re: Bane 02/05/2016 01:15 AM CST
<<Yes, I understand this part. It just seems unusual to see a cleric of Liabo these days. Perhaps it is a fluke.>>

Bane has a lot to do with it I think (hence why Charl worshipers became a dime a dozen after its implementation.) But also the same reason you see more people in deathly black warcloaks hemmed in runes of despair swinging bloodsoaked claidhs/daggers/maaces of doom and death and dark evilness.
Re: Bane 02/05/2016 05:22 AM CST
Smite is a better spell (DF 0.6 vs undead) than Bane (DF 0.5 vs living). It really depends on what you want to hunt. If you have plenty of opportunity to hunt either, smite is the better choice and you need to be significantly shorter of undead targets to make Bane the better choice. In most towns at most level ranges you are short enough of undead targets to make Bane preferable, but you can make smite work to your advantage too by picking which town to be in at which level.

Once you get high enough level, it doesn't really matter any more. Pay attention to the deity specific crit if you are making a choice for hunting prowess reasons.
Re: Bane 02/05/2016 07:33 AM CST
I'm a Liabo cleric and I don't notice much of a difference when hunting undead or living (I hunt whatever the adventurer's guild tells me to).

I needed a bit more mana when younger, but otherwise it's transparent to me (use 317/302 now).
Re: Bane 02/05/2016 07:00 PM CST
The damage is essentially half, the cost is doubled, and there is no chance for the infusion extra damage.

It's extremely noticeable casting opposite your alignment.
Re: Bane 02/06/2016 05:03 AM CST
Using nothing but 302 costs about triple the mana if used on wrong type, which is a big deal. (Concussion is halved but crit damage isn't, the net effect being about 2/3rds damage for double cost)

Using 302 as a finisher for 312/317 costs about 10% extra overall against the wrong type, which isn't. Once you are of a level to be using 302 as a finisher, its probably more important to have a deity with a decent crit table for 317. E.g. Eorgina (Bane/Fire) is likely a good combo for a cleric intending to join GoS. Ronan (smite/fire) is likely a good choice for a Volner but your attitude to bling might swing you either way and it wouldn't hurt you that much if you didn't want to plough through the society at low level. OTOH if you do intend to join one of those societies immediately its pretty important to have the right 302 alignment.

Re: Bane 02/06/2016 08:15 PM CST

All Zelia, all the time.

317 is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're going to get.