Third Gender / Neutral Option 05/25/2017 12:56 PM CDT
Dear Dedicated GMs,

Would you consider a third gender option for neutral or androgynous? Our options are currently limited to either a male or female, and this prevents folks from fully exploring non-typical gender roleplay.

I've seen some very creative approaches to this, and I'd love for these folks to have a mechanic in place that allows them to fully play out these concepts. Thoughts?

~Land Pirate Maylan~
Re: Third Gender / Neutral Option 05/25/2017 01:13 PM CDT
As a real-life sociology nerd, I'd like to lend my support as a long time player to this idea. Gender exists on a spectrum, not polar opposites, and I've been so impressed in the past with what some people have come up with to play some of the varied paths that spectrum runs.

I do however feel for whoever tries to take this on- I have a feeling that in a text-based game, your main problem isn't going to be societal roles and expectations, but the limitations of the English language.

-GK!

Ysharra says, "One day, I'm going to have "What?" inscribed on your tombstone, with lots of helpful punctuation."
Re: Third Gender / Neutral Option 05/25/2017 02:24 PM CDT
I'd really, really love to see this. That said, I could see it coming down to a matter of underlying mechanical limitations, depending on how deep the gender attribute is buried in the game engine. It's old, and it may just not be feasible, especially factoring in the cost-vs-value-add to make it happen.

Language-wise, the singular they has been in use for a good long while. Grammatically it can be awkward. I'm looking forward to the day when the English language has a more widely adopted neutral pronoun that isn't dehumanizing ('it' isn't it) and isn't wrapped up in plural grammar structure of they. Today is not that day. :/

---
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 110 silver coins for it."
Re: Third Gender / Neutral Option 05/25/2017 02:27 PM CDT

Just from what I've seen from other change requests, I would be surprised as hell if the game could be altered to support this in any practical manner.

What you MIGHT be able to consider is one of the full-body illusions being written gender neutral but still race appropriate. I realize that it's not ideal, but it's much more practical.

Not trying to express any opinion on the request itself, just the technology. The amount of QA alone for such a change might as well amount to making a new game.
Re: Third Gender / Neutral Option 05/25/2017 02:42 PM CDT
Maybe unique body features like the ones from Summit Academy would be a place to expand on this, or better yet additional slots for unique features... just musing out loud.
Re: Third Gender / Neutral Option 05/25/2017 02:48 PM CDT
>> Maybe unique body features like the ones from Summit Academy would be a place to expand on this, or better yet additional slots for unique features... just musing out loud.

You MIGHT be able to do this, but unfortunately, almost every targeted item in the game has (his|her) messaging. That's where I think the rub is. Spell preps, targeted actions, it all adds up.
Re: Third Gender / Neutral Option 05/25/2017 05:58 PM CDT
I imagine the targeted him/her options are really the wrench in this idea, as a friend pointed out to me earlier today. But I'm loving the ideas around building androgyny in via items like glamour crystals, body features, etc. While I'm guessing the him/her pronouns will always be a restriction, I think it's fun an interesting to explore what other possibilities for implementation might be available.

Thanks all for your responses and ideas so far. Please keep them coming!

~Land Pirate Maylan~
Re: Third Gender / Neutral Option 05/25/2017 06:29 PM CDT
I'm not sure its a total answer, or even a partial one, but. . .

How about combining the idea of a flag with racial observation. For example, it may (or may not, player choice / flag) be difficult to tell that the elf / dwarf / half-krolvin is male / female, unless one is of that race and knows the 'signs'.

Probably not any easier to implement (might even be slightly harder), but then the best things in life rarely are easy. I wouldn't see it as a high priority, but certainly any project creating the option for choice is a good thing!

Doug
Re: Third Gender / Neutral Option 05/25/2017 09:32 PM CDT
You'd have to split gender into two settings:

One: Visual appearance (male, female, androgynous, mostly female, somewhat male, etc)
Two: Pronoun (he, she) - I don't think the system would support anything other than the he/she syntax without a LOT of rewrites

So in the character manager, you could choose your gender appearance (which impacts your characters appearance), and choose your pronouns (which would determine how the game world interacts with you).

~ The girl behind Debia

Check out my websites!
www.obsidiantower.com
www.dhenar.com
Coming soon: www.noishorah.com
Find me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/angelofsharath
Re: Third Gender / Neutral Option 05/30/2017 09:19 PM CDT
The game's pronoun system does not support any sort of easy changes to it. He/She is all that exists for players. He/She/It for creatures. A change of this magnitude would require the very framework of the game to be updated with onsite developers. And that's just in the "alter" it sense. To update the character manager, visual character creator, and every single script that checks for gender would be more work than the conversion from GS3 to GS4.

Wyrom, PM