Alchemy dyes and tattoos 09/30/2014 10:23 AM CDT
An idea came up with some friends while chatting.

Is it possible to use fancy alchemical dyes for tattoos? Specifically the glowing and glittering colors, etc. Certainly one would need to provide them to the tattoo artist, but how likely is an artist to accept them for use?

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Alchemy dyes and tattoos 09/30/2014 01:08 PM CDT
Well that was a fast self-reply if ever I had one! (And, sincere thanks to yet another tattoo merchant! The tattoo didn't turn out glowing but was awesome anyway.)

You grab a glowing black vial of dye from a small pocket inside of your silk cloak.

Speaking excitedly to Shahno, you exclaim, "I heard something about tattoo!"

Shahno agrees with you.

Speaking hoarsely to Shahno, you ask, "Any chance you can use some ink like this?"

You show Shahno your black vial of dye.

Speaking to you, Shahno says, "I think if I used that on you, it'd kill you."

Shahno says, "And it'd hurt."

Speaking hoarsely to Shahno, you ask, "Is that a no?"

You hang your head.

Shahno whispers, "Tattoos can't glow, sorry."

Still, I thought it was the color that 'glows' (or other such adjective), not the item! Now, I respect that all merchants have the right to decline, and I didn't press the point. Except my rebuttal:

(OOC) You quietly whisper to Shahno, "Well, it's the COLOR that glows but, understood."

These glowing dyes DO work though, right? And if I can have a glowing black satchel, why not a glowing black rune tattoo?

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Alchemy dyes and tattoos 09/30/2014 05:18 PM CDT
I think some bio-luminescent dyes could be discovered as a part of the standing West Oceanic Forays into Demonic Lairs quest. You know, squid ink and the like.

These luminescent dyes could then be treated through an alchemical means - sorcery is a fav, because of the necrotic nature of the. . . well, you know. Heck, whole new branches of entomology and cephalopodogy (or marine biology, perhaps?) could be brought forward through various skills.

These dyes, in limited numbers, could then generate outlines that 'light' or 'glow'. Some may not be visible in normal light conditions. And with sorcery involved, who's to know what actually powers the chemical reactions necessary to turn the tattoo-bearing victim into the equivalent of a poorly lit lantern?

But -- by Koar, we'd glow!

Doug
Re: Alchemy dyes and tattoos 10/01/2014 12:37 AM CDT
Hmm, actual glowing tattoos could, of course, be neat, too! It might be a niche market, but I guess that about sums up 90% of alchemy anyway.

Now I can certainly see the argument that alchemy dyes are not made for hominids and might be poisonous. As the merchant stated aloud as the reason to reject the request. This falls under the valid reasons it might be rejected.

I managed to dig up the saved post on the topic, here: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Alchemy,_phase_II,_scene_II_(saved_post)#Alchemy_Dye_Alteration_Confirmation

I was fully willing to get a really nasty poison and drop dead, for what it's worth. I still think the OOC reason ('tattoos cannot glow') seems unreasonable, since the glowing dyes don't glow...

As to replying more to the specific point here, yeah let's smash some fireflies up and get that into a tattoo!