Neimhean 08/22/2012 04:56 PM CDT
Has there been any official or published unofficial information on these gnomes beyond the tidbit on the main page and the update allowing them to choose two bloodlines in order to hide their true origins?

If there has not, I'm interested in how others have interpreted how their neimhean fits into society. I remember reading about them before years ago when I rolled up a gnomish rogue, but it didn't quite fit what I was after at the time. Now the monk I've been piecing together....this really might be a fit for him. If any have fleshed out a Neimhean at all please do share, though of course do not include any names or locations, I as a player don't want to know your true colors.

>>Cultural bloodline doc
Bloodline Neimhean
Historical Summary: The Withycombe, as the eldest of the bloodline has come to be called, dies under mysterious circumstances. An investigation uncovers a secret society of gnomish assassins led by Todor Neimhean. Neimhean is put to death immediately, and the rest of his followers go underground. While some are captured and killed, it is believed that a small bloodline survived the purges.

Cultural Summary: The gnomes of Bloodline Neimhean live in silence and shadow, in and among the larger burghal bloodlines. A society of assassins and thieves, the Neimhean mask their identity from all but fellow initiates. The very name "Neimhean" is anathema to all but the Rosengift gnomes, who supply the group with poisons. Rarely will a gnome tolerate the presence of a Neimhean, even one who renounces membership in the group. So vicious and permanent is the revenge taken on oathbreakers that one may safely assume that a gnome who speaks openly about Neimhean cultural practice is a fraud. The Neimhean wear no bloodmark of their own, but often adopt those of other bloodlines as part of their subterfuge.

>>Update by Ildran
IOI: 5

Due to the treacherous actions of their former leader, Todor Neimhean, the Neimhean Bloodline is reviled by the majority of Gnomes. So thorough is the hatred of this bloodline that the members are forced to claim another bloodline as their own and live among them, never giving any indication of their true allegiance. If their true nature were ever revealed, a Neimhean would almost certainly be killed without hesitation.

Several updates have been made to the title system to better reflect the unique culture of the Neimhean Bloodline:

All current members of the Neimhean Bloodline have had their culture cleared.

The Neimhean Bloodline is now a choice that is handled specially by the title system. When a player chooses the Neimhean Bloodline, that choice will not be displayed in the customary fashion. Instead, the choice will be recorded but hidden from view, and the character will be allowed to choose another bloodline for public display. For all intents and purposes, the Neimhean will be considered a member of this bloodline as well. Note that the choice to be Neimhean must be made before the choice of another bloodline. Once a non-Neimhean bloodline is chosen, no more cultural choices of any kind may be made.

Two verbs have been updated to allow Neimhean Gnomes to identify themselves to their brethren.

Neimhean characters may now COUGH NEIMHEAN to indicate their bloodline to any other Neimhean in the room. Any non-Neimhean characters in the room will not be able to distinguish the action from a normal cough.

Neimhean may also WINK NEIMHEAN {target} to indicate their bloodline to a specific target. Non-Neimhean characters will not notice anything if they are winked at in this manner.

Suspicion runs rampant among the Neimhean, so in both cases, the signaling character will be unable to determine if their signal was received. If a Neimhean receives a signal, he may choose to ignore it to preserve his charade of being a normal member of his assumed bloodline.

- Ildran

>>Simucon notes from Desorceri
Neimhean - Assassins. To get in, one must kill someone of great importance. This group is highly loyal - no one leaves
Re: Neimhean 08/31/2012 11:47 AM CDT
Here's a non-standard story of one Neimhean. (Names are included, but it's all in Plat, and public in-game info now anyway.)

http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Harnen#History

- Greminty (and Harnen)
Re: Neimhean 08/31/2012 02:39 PM CDT

Thanks for posting, Bookmarked the site for some reading a little later. As I won't bump into you in game, names included is no problem.
Re: Neimhean 08/13/2013 07:05 PM CDT
I play a neimhean gnome as well, but without nearly as detailed or entertaining a backstory. I work very hard at concealing his true identity, most consider him a well to do winedotter, which was a little tricky to pull off until I realized gnomes can in fact learn elven. In terms of skills he tries to stay in town whenever possible, picking locks, pockets, or tinkering with other people's belongings. The only dead give away he has is a tendency to use poisoned ammunition but so far its only raised suspicion from one or two particularly gnosy burghal gnomes. I play him a being permanently employed/ on retainer with one host house who have him do various unscrupulous things around Elanthia, in exchange for a very large fee, which allowed him to buy a small bar in the port of river's rest.

Silent G
Re: Neimhean 07/28/2017 09:38 AM CDT

I'm a wee bit confused. I have a Neimhean gnome how exactly can they learn to speak elven? I've looked everywhere and can't find any resources that show otherwise.
Re: Neimhean 07/28/2017 11:14 AM CDT
If you have your culture selected check the "speak" verb. It will list your languages. My Aledotter didn't have to do anything special to know dwarven.

Chad, player of a few