skill expertise vs "vulnerable to" result 02/02/2015 03:34 AM CST
OK, frequently when hunting while using the UAC I get an attack result that looks like this:

>>You have good positioning against a massive troll king.
UAF: 394 vs UDF: 310 = 1.270 * MM: 107 + d100: 91 = 226
... and hit for 57 points of damage!
Rotating backhand cleanly snaps tibia!
The troll king is knocked to the ground!
The troll king starts to favor his wounded leg!
Strike leaves foe vulnerable to a followup kick attack!<<

I presume there would be some sort of attack bonus if I follow this up with a kick. What exactly is this bonus, an increased MM? How does it compare to mastery ranks of an attack style? Specifically, I have no ranks of kick mastery, but two ranks of punch mastery. When I get a message like this, I generally ignore it and keep punching, figuring the extra skill makes up the difference and punch is faster. But I'd like to get a more precise analysis. For that matter, if I had no punch mastery at all, how much improved would a followup kick attack be?

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: skill expertise vs "vulnerable to" result 02/02/2015 05:18 AM CST
If you do the type of attack it suggests, you move up to the next tier. Being at a higher tier offers you an increase in the possible critical damage range.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
>Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
Re: skill expertise vs "vulnerable to" result 02/02/2015 05:47 AM CST
These are a critical part of open UAC and almost irrelevant to ambush UAC.

You should only kick in that situation if you are attacking from the open, or if the critter has sufficient levels on you that you are failing to get ambush tiers. I'll use punch openings to cut out the hide step from time to time, but I only ever use kick or grapple openings if I'm still at decent after the first attack.

e.g. I am often searched out of hiding by a crawler in the lag between my issuing the punch head order and the attack going through. If I didn't stun it, I'm looking to run away, but there's still a significant chance of a stun with a head punch from the open at decent position. If its stunned and I'm at decent with an opening for kick or grapple, then I'm hiding and kicking or grappling to get those attacks at excellent rather than a punch at good position.

It pays to cut out the hide step and use a punch opening if the critter is stanced. If its still in a defensive stance the pushdown from hiding is worth taking the time to hide, but if its in offensive punching from the open pays.

You might as well squelch jab openings though. I don't think I've ever come across a situation where a rogue would want to use one of those.
Re: skill expertise vs "vulnerable to" result 02/02/2015 12:40 PM CST
OK, I understand the basic concept; your example of the decent position needing a tier up is illustrative. But how do my two ranks of punch mastery affect the equation?

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: skill expertise vs "vulnerable to" result 02/02/2015 01:10 PM CST
If you didn't have punch mastery you'd see rather less openings in the first place, but it makes very little difference to whether you would want to make use of them. Basically you don't want to make use of them most of the time, and punch mastery makes it even less likely that you'd want to make use of grapple or kick openings and marginally more likely that you'd want to use a punch opening.