brawling uac as/ds 12/09/2012 09:48 AM CST
I have some questions on AS and DS for my Ranger who trains in archery and brawling. It seems like there are three combat types to consider because of the archery, brawling and UAC.

So far I've not held a bow because he's young and it's easier to hunt with a brawling weapon. This must be negatively impacting DS though because of the empty off hand. It seems like the combinations will be this:

BOW, Left Hand, Brawling Weapon Right hand. How does the AS DS get impacted?

BOW, Left Hand, open (or gloved, wrapped etc...) right hand. How will the AS DS be affected. How does this affect UAC? Will he be able to have a hand wrap or other UAC specific hand covering and still shoot a bow?

Brawling weapon right hand, with jab, punch, grapple kick combos.

Can someone breakdown the mechanics of this set up for me?

**On a side note, I may begin to focus on cmans because I heard they help UAC. How does that work? Are there other things I should consider? I was thinking of doing a minimum MOC over time to avoid ds pushdown. How does MOC affect UAC?

Thank you!
Re: brawling uac as/ds 12/09/2012 11:01 AM CST
I cannot speak to the ds implications of the brawling/archer path but I do know that holding any weapon, brawling or otherwise negatively impacts your MM which is the most important factor in uac. Some of the brawling weapons offer smaller penalties than others, but holding a bow is -22 to your MM alone when fully trained in ranged. As a ranger you have a huge bonus to uac when ambushing but holding a bow will still be a big hit.

Combat maneuvers increases UAF just like other melee attacks: +1 uaf every two ranks. MOC does not offer any benefits besides fof reduction (which is good to have)
Re: brawling uac as/ds 12/09/2012 01:41 PM CST
I see what your saying. So an archer with a 4x bow will get DS based on the regular combat mechanics, but if that archer Jabs, the MM will be negatively impacted. The same archer could use a troll-claw and "attack" at which point the attack will be rolled on the regular combat system.

I was hoping to be able to hold a bow for Defensive protection and still be able to have strong UAC in between shots.
Re: brawling uac as/ds 12/09/2012 10:02 PM CST
If you're using UCS (JAB, PUNCH, GRAPPLE, and KICK), I'd recommend picking up .5x in TWC and 2x Dodging (both for DS) if you don't already have it, and hunting with both hands open or stowing your bow before attacking with UCS. You can also get some enchanted gloves that will help a bit with DS and UAF (enchanted boots only help with UAF but are still nice to have).

As the other poster already pointed out, having you're bow out with an empty right hand would help your DS, but would deal a significant blow to your MM. Add a brawling weapon to your right hand along with the bow in your left and you'd most likely be better off forgoing UCS altogether and just using traditional brawling (ATTACK and AMBUSH)

If you're using brawling (ATTACK or AMBUSH), you'll prolly have to experiment to see how holding a bow and brawling weapon at the same time compares to just a brawling weapon(s).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.