Creature bane weapons will incur a surcharge based on the bane property. 10/20/2017 01:15 AM CDT
Okay, but how much of a surcharge will that incur? I'm asking specifically about +10 AS extraplanar bane, but it would be nice to see a general formula.
Re: Creature bane weapons will incur a surcharge based on the bane property. 10/20/2017 08:24 AM CDT
Surcharge would be based on the potency bane property, but basically, pretend like the weapon has that property added to it when determining cost. So if it has 10 points of bane weighting, we would charge it as the weapon having 10 points of weighting (1000 point surcharge there). If it has bane fire flares, we'd charge it as the weapon having fire flares (add on 600 for common flares).

In the case of +10 AS as a bane property, we'd calculate the weapon's cost as if it were +10 higher on its enchantment.

ASGM
Re: Creature bane weapons will incur a surcharge based on the bane property. 10/20/2017 08:51 PM CDT

Thanks for the response, Tamuz.

Does that seem a bit harsh to you, though? Charging the same as if a bonus was active full-time, even though it only works in a subset of possible scenarios.
Re: Creature bane weapons will incur a surcharge based on the bane property. 10/21/2017 02:44 PM CDT
>>Does that seem a bit harsh to you, though? Charging the same as if a bonus was active full-time, even though it only works in a subset of possible scenarios.

If an item has a bonus that applies part of the time, we must assume it will always be active and charge it accordingly. We don't want to get into haggling over how often it may or may not be used against a bane foe. If it's there, it gets charged. Plain and simple rule to make life much easier for calculating costs.

ASGM
Re: Creature bane weapons will incur a surcharge based on the bane property. 10/21/2017 06:45 PM CDT
> we must assume it will always be active and charge it accordingly
"Must" seems like an overly strong word here. If you had chosen to halve the surcharge (relative to the permanent bonus), I'm sure the world would keep on spinning.

>Plain and simple rule to make life much easier for calculating costs.
Charging at half-cost would still be fairly plain and hardly - hardly more complex than charging at full cost, anyway.

> We don't want to get into haggling
You could also avoid haggling if surcharges were fixed at half cost - or any other fixed multiple, really.

But again, thank you for responding. Nothing I can do here, so I guess I'll fume for a little bit and move on.
Re: Creature bane weapons will incur a surcharge based on the bane property. 10/22/2017 09:51 AM CDT
Someone gets an UndeadBane weapon, and the only times they're on every day, is using it for two hours on Reim.

Someone gets a TrollBane weapon, and does nothing but (troll) warcamping with Sunfisters.

Do Vvrael count as ExtraPlanar? Nothing but the Rift hunting.

Yes, they have to assume that it is always-on.
Re: Creature bane weapons will incur a surcharge based on the bane property. 10/22/2017 11:27 PM CDT
It is indeed possible to limit oneself to a small subset of available hunting grounds to make sure bane is always active. But that lack of variety is quite a sacrifice for many of us.

There's nothing forcing staff to choose a policy that focuses on the extreme use case. Services have sometimes been offered to increase a resistance, but only while adding a weakness. This implies that those offering the service saw some balance in item power by considering the whole range of possible combat situations, rather than just the situation that benefits the wearer the most. I believe it would be entirely reasonable for staff to make a similar conclusion here.