PREMIUM 9 Update 09/13/2017 05:12 PM CDT
PREMIUM 9 has been updated to match the current list of common flares. You can now use alter scrolls to have Sadie add heat, cold, electric, vacuum, mana (+2), acuity (4x), or impact flares to eligible items. If you request mana and your item already has mana flares, it will max out at +2. Similarly, if you request acuity and your item already has acuity, it will max out at 4x.

Vacuum (void), mana, and acuity are new additions to this list. As acid is an uncommon flare, it has been removed from the list.

~~GM Kynlee~~
Elanthian Architect
Breaker of Things
GS4-Kynlee@play.net
3/50
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/13/2017 05:33 PM CDT
Does this apply to the premium monthly contest list as well?

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/15/2017 01:01 AM CDT
Mana and acuity are added in +1/1x increments or the base price is to take it to +2/4x from whatever starting level? I assume the former, but the wording could be a little more clear.
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/15/2017 05:09 AM CDT
With Premium, you can get them as high as +2/4x (mana, acuity).

Like with padding, the Premium service takes it TO a specific level (10 points, 150 services) rather than ADDING that much (lime if you already had somewhat, or decent).

Bazically, you gain less if you have the work done on an item that already has it (versus a blank slate), but you LOSE nothing (both wind upbat the same spot,+2/4x/heavy padding).
Smaller delta, same end result... like winning the Iasha raffle: start w/tier1, she adds 2 tiers; w/tier2, adds only 1 tier; don't have an Iasha one gets created and it is tier3... but in all cases, the end result is a tier3.
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/15/2017 05:10 AM CDT
Stupid fat-finger phone keyboard. <mutter>
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/15/2017 01:20 PM CDT
Yup, you'll be going to mana (2) or acuity (4x [+20/+12]) from whatever level they might be at currently. Those are as high as premium points can go on mana and acuity.

ASGM
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/15/2017 04:39 PM CDT
Has any thought been given to reducing the price of enchanting claids? At least to 1x or 2x? They are pretty common so the costs for enchanting seems to be much higher than necessary.
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/21/2017 11:06 AM CDT
<the costs for enchanting seems to be much higher than necessary.

We'll look into it, but a majority of the cost is based around the high mechanical advantage (2500 points of weighting). The charge for that amount of weighting is 4000 points, regardless of the enchant.

~~GM Kynlee~~
Elanthian Architect
Breaker of Things
GS4-Kynlee@play.net
3/50
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/21/2017 11:15 AM CDT

>We'll look into it, but a majority of the cost is based around the high mechanical advantage (2500 points of weighting). The charge for that amount of weighting is 4000 points, regardless of the enchant.

feedback on terminology:

staff is using both points for services and points for combat effectiveness. I think it would be helpful and more consistent to use services for services (1-5000) and points for combat effectiveness (1-50)
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/21/2017 11:37 AM CDT
<Does this apply to the premium monthly contest list as well?

I'm checking on this.

~~GM Kynlee~~
Elanthian Architect
Breaker of Things
GS4-Kynlee@play.net
3/50
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/21/2017 01:29 PM CDT
Totally agreed on the "services" / "points" terminology.
(Which is why I have tried to be scrupulous in my usage, for the sake of clarity.)

(And personally: I'm still against "Attack Strength" and "Arcane Symbols", and "stance" [affecting AS/DS] and "stance" [as in 'martial'], too. We had a perfectly good system--acronym in one case, word usage in another--and here <some staffer whose name has not been released, either time> goes and muddies the water by re-using it.
"Again"--in the case of 'stance'--having apparently not-learned the lesson from AS. <facepalm>
Yes, Sleken, this time I am deliberately referring to staff as though they were less than capable.)

See also, Order of the Stick: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/21/2017 01:53 PM CDT

<the costs for enchanting seems to be much higher than necessary.
We'll look into it, but a majority of the cost is based around the high mechanical advantage (2500 points of weighting). The charge for that amount of weighting is 4000 points, regardless of the enchant.
~~GM Kynlee~~

I understand how all the numbers add up. My main point is that the cost far exceeds the value. I'd be curious to know if anyone has ever enchanted a 0x or 1x claidhmore using premium points. If they have not, maybe it would be a good idea to revisit the cost so people find better value in that offering.

I'd much prefer to see a structured cost increase rather than 40 points of weighting always means a 4000 premium point cost increase, at least when it comes to claids, as they're handled separately in most other cases anyway. (For example, the no enchanting/weighting/extra work on claid exclusions that pop up at every merchant offering.)

It currently takes 5000 points to enchant a claidhmore from 0x to 1x. That roughly equates to 50 million silvers to enchant a claidhmore from 0x to 1x. For 50 million silvers I could purchase 50 1x claidhmores.

The reason for my request is that I have a 0x claid that I want to enchant to 1x, so that it can hit magical creatures and I don't have to be worried about it shattering on some creatures because it's plain 0x. I'm willing to pay a higher cost than what it would be valued at, but not 50x more than its value. It currently sits in a locker until I get the opportunity to enchant it.

Something to think about ... If a 1x claidhmore would be sold at Duskruin, how much would it cost? Assign X value to premium points, and then convert the duskruin cost to a premium point cost.

How about something like this?
(Base enchant cost x Desired Enchant Bonus) / (Completed X Enchant)
(300 x 5) / (1) = 1500
(600 x 10) / (2) = 3000
(900 x 15) / (3) = 4500
(1200 x 20) / (4) = 6000
(1600 x 25) / (5) = 8000
(2000 x 30) / (6) = 10000
(2400 x 35) / (7) = 12000
(2800 x 40) / (8) = 14000
(3200 x 45) / (9) = 16000
(3600 x 50) / (10) = 18000

This would make a 1x enchant a little more obtainable. And it's not like 1x claids are rare. Even 4x claidhmores are far more common now than they ever have been.
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/21/2017 02:19 PM CDT
The primary desirability of claidhmores lies in their weighting; secondarily in their Enchant; POSSIBLY a tertiary value in being Sanctified (I have never heard of a PermaBlessed claidhmore...); and lastly in their appearance.

There has never been a good reason to Enchant a low-plus claidhmore. It is far, far easier to find an extant one--like +5, easily found for, as you say, a million--and just give it the appearance that you want at a GALD merchant; it already had the claidhmore weighting.

Only in the case of existing moderate-Enchant claidhmores (arbitrarily, +15 or higher) does it get to be worthwhile, and even that is debatable.

This is no different from padding armor: you start by Enchanting it as high as feasible, and then you do the padding.
Sadly, claidhmores come already weighted, so... <shrug>
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/21/2017 06:40 PM CDT
Just because you seem to think the primary desirability of a claidhmore is its weighting, doesn't mean everyone else does. For me, the appearance of the claidhmore is its primary desirability.

If I could just give any claidhmore the appearance of my claidhmore, I obviously wouldn't be making the request I did.

Enchanting a 0x claidhmore to 1x in order to make it hit magical creatures and become shatter proof against other creatures seems like a pretty good reason to enchant it to me.

I'll also correct another one of your points. It's now best to pad or weight something at a low enchant, and then work on enchanting it up, as W/P/S costs increase the higher enchant the item is.
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/21/2017 07:17 PM CDT
I'm trying out the following - HCP padding on 0x armor and then enchanting it up to ~4x-6x. I think that's going to be a sweet spot for cost/time effective given the new changes. If you have access to premium and a wizard, you can make your own nice armor base to build upon now in a year, saving up for future services on it, infusing pots while you wait for enough premium points.

Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/22/2017 08:36 AM CDT
"I'll also correct another one of your points. It's now best to pad or weight something at a low enchant, and then work on enchanting it up, as W/P/S costs increase the higher enchant the item is." -- Veythorne

Now, sure. :) That's what happens, when new systems happen.

How desirable any given path is will largely depend on how frequent the GMs cut it loose--does it happen only at events? Only paid events? There's a shop in every town all the time? We'll have to see...--and whether one is Premium or has their own Enchanter or what.

No, I stand by my statement: the value of the claidhmore is in the weighting. The only reason you want to Enchant a plain one, is to have all that nice juicy weighting (and now be able to hit with it all of those magical creatures/not shatter against those others/and so on). That's what you're chasing: the weighting.

You tell me what was easier: plonk down a million coins, buy a cheap mithril claidhmore, and find a GALD merchant... or cough up a ton of Bloodscrip for getting an Enchanting certificate for the weighted weapon... or buy in to Premium for multiple years to build up the points to do it?

Now? Sure, absolutely: player-Enchanting is now possible on Weighted items. Great!
Has anyone actually done it with a claidhmore, yet? (Were claidhmores exempted?)
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/22/2017 07:58 PM CDT
No, I stand by my statement: the value of the claidhmore is in the weighting. The only reason you want to Enchant a plain one, is to have all that nice juicy weighting (and now be able to hit with it all of those magical creatures/not shatter against those others/and so on). That's what you're chasing: the weighting.
- Krakii

Speak for yourself, don't attempt to speak for me. You might find value in the weighting, in my circumstance it's a hindrance.

The reason I want to enchant my claidhmore is because it's a rare metal, I don't care about "that nice juicy weighting" because it's nothing more than a roleplaying prop for me that I could like to use without the fear of losing it.

You tell me what was easier: plonk down a million coins, buy a cheap mithril claidhmore, and find a GALD merchant... or cough up a ton of Bloodscrip for getting an Enchanting certificate for the weighted weapon... or buy in to Premium for multiple years to build up the points to do it?

I'm well aware of what the alternative options are, thank you for stating the obvious.

None of this has anything to do with the actual topic though, which is premium point costs for enchanting claidhmore, in case you've forgotten. So I won't be responding to your posts going forward.
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/22/2017 08:58 PM CDT
>>I don't care about "that nice juicy weighting"

Probably fairly easy to get it stripped, then - in that context if it's truly adding zero value and still costing a ton.

Doug
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/23/2017 12:46 PM CDT
Sounds like what we need is for the Forging update to come out, that was talking about slagging down existing items to get the material.
Veythorne's looking to take a +0 weapon (that happens to be claidhmore weighted) up, but doesn't want the weighting (so very reasonably doesn't want to pay the surcharge).

If keeping the material were possible, he could get it made into whatever he wanted, and then just pay--maybe even have a player do, rather than use points--for the cheaper Enchant.
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/28/2017 10:22 PM CDT
<Does this apply to the premium monthly contest list as well?

Yes!

~~GM Kynlee~~
Elanthian Architect
Breaker of Things
GS4-Kynlee@play.net
3/50
Re: PREMIUM 9 Update 09/29/2017 06:58 AM CDT
awesome!