Song of Power/1018 question 05/03/2017 09:00 AM CDT
So I'm considering enrolling my Bard in Sunfist, because one of the Sigils is +5 mana recovery and, well, I am a master of all things mana.
Okay, the fact that there's a Sigil for TD, and others for padding, are also really nice.
And he can ignore all of the ones sucking up mana+stamina for AS bonuses and such, so quite the savings there.

Question, then, on the Shroud on warcamps. The Wiki says that open Disruption/1030 is generally bad (this is obvious, since it's an AoE spell), but it also mentions Song of Power/1018.
HOW is Song of Power affecting it? Only at the cast? Cast & renewals both? Just the fact of having it running (i.e. "presence")? If a Bard with it running changes rooms, does it affect the shroud each time s/he moves?
Re: Song of Power/1018 question 05/03/2017 10:29 PM CDT
1030 is effectively useless as anything but a hit point reducer in warcamps. The second damage cycle is horrible. 1018 running does not effect the shroud. I do not know about the initial cast, but it has never been a problem.

I have trouble using feint whenever I want at 150 stamina when all the sigils are up. So selecticve use would be smart. Move around a lot and bring friends to do he killing if you are just a pure bard. You can concentrate on being support.

GBB
Re: Song of Power/1018 question 05/04/2017 08:32 AM CDT
The last 15-18 levels I've been in stone trolls (regenerating, and high HP to start with) through stone giants to Illoke mystics & shamen (and their accompanying pups, the mastiffs). Attriting them, 350+ HP damage required is not unusual, and edging closer to 500 if the trolls get in a couple of rounds of regenerating.

1) Just how many hit points are we talking about need to reduce?
2) I thought it was really only the shamen & warchiefs who had good padding; are the lesser ones also padded (enough to make a difference)?
3) Sonic flares still pretty juicy though, right? (I'm particularly interested in Sunfist because, unlike Reim, none of these buggers are Undead.)

(I realize that Sunfist faces the possibility of trolls [so regenerating] and giants [so large with many HP], but also the possibility of NOT any of those [orcs], so net positive. :)
Re: Song of Power/1018 question 05/04/2017 02:12 PM CDT
This is only IN warcamps. Outside of warcamps grimswarm still get the business. I don't think attrition hunting like you have to do with stone giants and trolls is quite the same beast. I love GoS sigils on a bard. Sigil of determination keeps me in sunfist.

GBB

You weave another verse into your harmony.
CS: +517 - TD: +345 + CvA: +8 + d100: +7 == +187
Warding failed!
A Grimswarm orc ranger reels under the force of the sonic vibrations!
Sound waves disrupt for 88 damage!
... 25 points of damage!
Chest spasm makes it hard for the orc ranger to breathe.

CS: +517 - TD: +345 + CvA: +9 + d100: +40 == +221
Warding failed!
A Grimswarm orc hunter reels under the force of the sonic vibrations!
Sound waves disrupt for 108 damage!
... 15 points of damage!
The orc hunter's right leg jerks momentarily.

CS: +517 - TD: +402 + CvA: +17 + d100: +93 == +225
Warding failed!
A Grimswarm orc sorcerer reels under the force of the sonic vibrations!
Sound waves disrupt for 111 damage!
... 20 points of damage!
Spasm to the orc sorcerer's right hand.

CS: +517 - TD: +397 + CvA: +11 + d100: +33 == +164
Warding failed!
A Grimswarm orc guard reels under the force of the sonic vibrations!
Sound waves disrupt for 74 damage!
... 10 points of damage!
Strike to the orc guard's left arm sprains biceps.

You weave another verse into your harmony, directing the sound of your voice at a Grimswarm orc guard.
Warding failed!
... 5 points of damage!
Chest spasm makes it hard for the orc guard to breathe.

You weave another verse into your harmony.
Warding failed!
... 25 points of damage!
Chest spasm makes it hard for the orc guard to breathe.
Re: Song of Power/1018 question 05/04/2017 02:29 PM CDT
Yep, looks like they get padded & randomized so the bonus damage (from the crit) is minimal.

You mention Determination... does that let you ignore NECK wounds, so you can keep singing, or does that count as "head"?
Re: Song of Power/1018 question 05/04/2017 03:02 PM CDT

Sigil of determination lets you sing spells with rank 2 wounds to the head/neck, but that throat slice from bandits will still get you. It also lets you use a bow with rank 2 armor wounds, or cast 400's with rank 2 in one arm and rank 1 in the other. Rank 3 wounds you are out of gas.

GBB
Re: Song of Power/1018 question 05/07/2017 09:45 AM CDT
Hi,

I have found that 1018 disturbs the shroud if you start singing it inside the camp or renew it inside the camp, but its a pretty minor agitation and should revert back after 1 or 2 rounds of combat. I have never had the shroud backlash just from singing powersong, but if you use a couple elemental waves and then auto renew I could see it potentially causing problems.

I love Sunfist as a bard for all the reasons mentioned earlier, weighting on a sonic weapon is delightful, determination is fantastic for staying in the fight, and being able to use sigil of escape even in roundtime is probably my favorite membership perk. IMHO, bards are the best of the best when it comes to beating on grimswarm, but I am more of a balanced build so melee+tonis with the occasional spell/song thrown in for flavor, ymmv.

You should join,
Archales
Re: Song of Power/1018 question 05/07/2017 10:41 AM CDT
Great info; thanks!
Re: Song of Power/1018 question 06/01/2018 10:59 AM CDT
Looks like I started asking about this back when I was 66th (about to make level) and still in the Illoke Stronghold.
To that point, I had spent ~18 levels blasting my way through Sunfist hated enemies without, you know... being in Sunfist.
Then I turned around and spent another 10 levels blasting through more, the krag dwellers and such.
(There was a brief diversion for 10 levels of Treekin.)
And, now, I am again blasting hated enemies.

The big difference being... I have now actually joined a Society with the Bard. So I'm getting reputation credit for the earth elementals and such, now. <Yaaay, me.>

To revisit the big issues, then:
- Song of Power not really much of an problem in warcamps, except maybe for a short while if you start it while inside?
- Shroud does or does not mind Depression/area of effect?
- Shroud does or does not mind Disrupt/area of effect?
- (Doubt I'll use it, but never hurts to know...) Shroud does or does not mind HoldSong/area of effect?

Thanks!
Re: Song of Power/1018 question 06/01/2018 12:20 PM CDT

Have you tried reading the gswiki?
Re: Song of Power/1018 question 06/01/2018 01:29 PM CDT
Yes, but there were more useful details forthcoming from actual Bards the last time I got curious... :)