Bard Locksinger 11/06/2012 05:02 PM CST
Bards are second only to rogues in picking locks. That's because we have a set of skills that are geared to this art, including access to the Minor Elementals (pick enhance, disarm enhance, unlock, disarm, piercing gaze) AND we can sing to locks to measure difficulty (better than calipers). While there may not be many bard locksmiths, there are a few.

It would be nice to get some guild skills that accent our ability with locks. Naturally, we'd have to have different tricks than rogues. Instead of wedging plated, enruned mithril boxes, for example, we could use precise harmonics to shatter the lock. Instead of removing gems from gem traps, we could explode them with a variation of purification song (it'd be nice to keep them, but would intrude on Rogue territory. Just give us some different options and abilities that bring our "locksinging" skills to a more accessible level.

Being a locksinger isn't an easy training path, since it demands some pretty steep sacrifices in other areas. But I bet more bards would give it a go if we had some guild skills to enhance our abilities. Maybe they could be tied in with other skills, so an entire branch of skills wasn't solely devoted to a seldom chosen path.

Just food for thought. Carry on. :)

~ Auntia and friends
Re: Bard Locksinger 11/06/2012 08:28 PM CST
+1 here. I would enjoy this -- immensely.

Doug
Re: Bard Locksinger 11/11/2012 01:13 AM CST
(laughs softly)

We were told, quite solemnly, by two GMs, that the Bards' Guild was going to go live imminently, and that we should think strongly about which two or three bards ought to be the first appointed Guild Masters.

That bards' meeting was over sixteen years ago now.

Ain't never, ever going to happen.
Re: Bard Locksinger 11/11/2012 02:23 AM CST
There's lots of examples of things that "never will happen" but they have. Take fixskills and fixstats, for example. Never say never, I say!

P.S. The above in no way should be taken as a hint at anything. Just don't believe in "never will happen".

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Bard Locksinger 11/11/2012 04:07 PM CST
>> Just don't believe in "never will happen".<<

How about "it might happen, but you will probably be dead by then".

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Bard Locksinger 11/14/2012 03:18 AM CST

>AND we can sing to locks to measure difficulty (better than calipers).

At low level the bard has the advantage, but once calipers are mastered its more nuanced.

Calipers can be used to pin lock sizes more closely than loresinging, if you have the time to do many repeats. A loresinger will never know that a lock is other than in the range 960-995 without picking it, but a lock master can use multiple measurements to work out that its probably 995. Its actually best to have both if you really want to know a lock accurately before trying a pick on it.