Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/28/2013 07:38 PM CDT
Complaining never accomplishes anything? Damn, there goes my plan to hire a few sorcerers to start posting in the bard folder for me. Granted, I play a sorcerer also, so I hope most know I'm mostly kidding.. mostly. I posted in the bad/complaint folder to see if any GMs actually read the bard folder, because I cannot remember the last time one actually chimed in on anything posted in here. Just knowing someone is actually paying attention would be rather nice, even if they aren't going to do anything.
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/29/2013 01:02 AM CDT
>>It's just that other classes are so much more underdeveloped compared to bards.

All classes are under developed compared to bards or some classes? This sentence is kind of ambiguous.

Either way I'd love to hear your thoughts on why you feel this way.
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/29/2013 01:36 AM CDT
You have a lot of points in your post. I'm not going to bother with how you feel bards are, and what they need done, instead I'll address general issues.

>I feel like bards can't open their mouths without other people taking issue with it.
Galenok

Are you of the opinion that unless someone has played a Bard for X years, and as their main GS focus they cannot have an opinion (and post) on the state of Bards and any future development?

>...telling us we've got plenty and to stop our requests.

I really think you're blowing out of proportion how many posters are vocalizing that bards don't need anything. I understand why you would, the profession is important to you. I get it, and I sympathize with it completely. But sometimes being too close to the situation makes you notice things more than you normally would/could/should.

For example, go back and re-read my posts. I can't recall a time when I've said Bards should stop asking for things (and this should go for any professional folder.) Have I agreed with all the things suggested improvements? No, of course not. Why should I? Why should you? However, even when I disagree, over the years, I've still suggested more than a few improvements. Some combat, some simply RP development.

>Seriously, what do you want bards to do with their folders?

I think you should reconsider what you think the Bard profession is in your opinion, and what staff thinks Bards should/could be. Then make suggestions based on what is more likely to be approved. Basically, re-evaluate what you're actually suggesting. I really can't sympathize with someone suggesting bards should get X super power and then complain when it's not implemented or people don't agree with it.

There have been plenty of off the wall suggestions in the Paladin folder, and I have no problem saying 'No chance that will ever get approved', or 'I don't even think that's appropriate for a Paladin', or something similar. Again, I get it. Its frustrating to see zero GM activity and suggestions fall on deaf ears. The Paladin folder has has years of suggestions with nothing but nerfs and stolen ideas result of it.

Ultimately, I think you might be asking for the wrong things. A re-focus on Bardic needs, rather than wants might garner you more.

-farmer
>"Mine lights my character on fire and makes her all glowy." -Raelee
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/29/2013 08:10 AM CDT
>Are you of the opinion that unless someone has played a Bard for X years, and as their main GS focus they cannot have an opinion (and post) on the state of Bards and any future development?

It is not a matter of X years or not, it is a matter of self-identification. If you do not feel that you are a "bard" or play and enjoy a bard, then why come in here and tell us that we are OP and don't deserve a chance at development and shoot down every request we make with dozens of cross-profession references? Consider for a second, when you come here to post, do you say "we" when you reference bards, or "you"?

>For example, go back and re-read my posts. I can't recall a time when I've said Bards should stop asking for things (and this should go for any professional folder.) Have I agreed with all the things suggested improvements? No, of course not. Why should I? Why should you? However, even when I disagree, over the years, I've still suggested more than a few improvements. Some combat, some simply RP development.

You are still arguing, albeit more eloquently, for why we, generally, as a bard profession, are less deserving or mechanically suited of receiving our requests than other professions. And perhaps you do occasionally argue in our defense. However, for every one of the more eloquent arguers, we also get tend to someone like Aratos who walks in and flat out informs us that we are "OP" and "what more could we possibly want?", to a profession that hasn't seen much development in years. Well, your smart phone accomplishes everything a smart phone should mechanically do. In fact, it out-performs the computers of 10 years ago! What more could you possibly want?! And yet new and shinier, perhaps not more useful but at least NEW, phones come out every few months because the industry understands human nature. Wanting and desiring new shiny things is a natural human desire, whether it be phones, cars, TV programming, or, yes, bard development. At this point, some bards might even be happy with a superficial cosmetic change to something as silly as the dance verb, if only to know that someone out there is even noticing us.

>I think you should reconsider what you think the Bard profession is in your opinion, and what staff thinks Bards should/could be. Then make suggestions based on what is more likely to be approved. Basically, re-evaluate what you're actually suggesting. I really can't sympathize with someone suggesting bards should get X super power and then complain when it's not implemented or people don't agree with it.

The problem with this is that we've tried this. We've been tame, off the wall, approached it as warriors, magical rogues, buffoons. Guilds? Spells? How about verbs? And what do we get? Resounding silence. A few months ago, I went and scanned the entire bard folder and found only one NIR response, and it was only a chuckle at one of the more deliberately joking bard requests. Nothing, otherwise, to help guide the bards here towards making more productive requests that would actually be considered or championed by a dev.

>Ultimately, I think you might be asking for the wrong things. A re-focus on Bardic needs, rather than wants might garner you more.

And right there, you are reinforcing Galenok's original complaint. "You might be asking for the wrong things." is just more diplomatic rephrase of "stop asking for those things."

-Cait
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/29/2013 09:21 AM CDT
"the odds of getting injured and/or then having it dispelled in places like the scatter is just too high to justify using." -- Archales

Getting dispelled is one thing; that you need to control just like any other spell-casting creature.

Losing it to a stunned Renewal, though... seriously? (Now, I'm willing to grant that a capped Erithian Bard with 101 ranks of ML:Telepathy is probably as common as hen's teeth, but the point is:) At cap, the theoretical maximum from base stats & skill training is 707s, or eleven minutes forty seven second (11:47). That's FIVE renewals per hour. And takes into account NO Enhancives of any stat or skill ranks. And you can only lose the gear at those precise moments, should you happen to be stunned and your 'shout rally' hasn't worked.

Seriously?

I'd be worried just by the fact that you get stunned five times in an hour. I suspect that there are people who go entire weeks without getting stunned. (And I mean people who play their characters, go out hunting, that sort of thing; not like me.)
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/29/2013 09:34 AM CDT
>It is not a matter of X years or not, it is a matter of self-identification. If you do not feel that you are a "bard" or play and enjoy a bard, then why come in here and tell us that we are OP and don't deserve a chance at development and shoot down every request we make with dozens of cross-profession references? Consider for a second, when you come here to post, do you say "we" when you reference bards, or "you"?
-Cait

So the message I'm hearing from you, and apparently others is this..

"Unless you play a bard and identify as one, don't post in our folder. If you (generalized to mean the populous that doesn't identify themselves as a bard) do want to post here, only agree with the suggestions we made. Otherwise, any dissent will be considered a personal and profession attack on us."

Consider your message heard.

I can't claim that I'll stop posting, but I guess I can skip my eloquence and simply stick to 'Bards should get this' or 'Bards shouldn't get this'.

For the record, though at this point I'm not sure if it matters as I don't identify myself as a Bard, I use 'you' because I'm directly addressing someone. Additionally, I use the actual professional name (Bard, Paladin, Ranger, etc) as well. In fact, I also do this in the Paladin folder as well, which is the profession most people associate me with (regardless of whether that has any truth or not).

-farmer
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/29/2013 10:35 AM CDT
>"Unless you play a bard and identify as one, don't post in our folder. If you (generalized to mean the populous that doesn't identify themselves as a bard) do want to post here, only agree with the suggestions we made. Otherwise, any dissent will be considered a personal and profession attack on us."

>Consider your message heard. -farmer

You misunderstand. Our complaint isn't about healthy debate amongst folks who are interested in the betterment of bards. It is with folks coming in who toss out offhand statements of "Bards are OP", "Bards shouldn't ask for that", "Paladins/sorcerers/monks/etc deserve that more than bards", "why are you asking for things, bards are complete".

Such comments aren't constructive. The bard folder should be a place where requests and discourse can be made without having to be compared endlessly to other professions or dismissed out of hand when we ask for something new.

So, basically, if you are a bard, or interested in bards, then please feel free to post. If you're angry or upset about the state of some other profession, please don't take it out on us here in the bard forum.

-Cait
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/29/2013 10:43 AM CDT
>You misunderstand.
-Cait

I think you need to reread the post I responded to, then your latest response. Then consider who's being eloquent in their arguments.

Because, quite frankly, and with no ill will intended, I think my interpretation of the message I'm seeing from yourself, Galenok, and to a lesser extent other bards, was accurate.

-farmer
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/29/2013 10:59 AM CDT
>>>Are you of the opinion that unless someone has played a Bard for X years, and as their main GS focus they cannot have an opinion (and post) on the state of Bards and any future development? -farmer

>>It is not a matter of X years or not, it is a matter of self-identification. If you do not feel that you are a "bard" or play and enjoy a bard, then why come in here and tell us that we are OP and don't deserve a chance at development and shoot down every request we make with dozens of cross-profession references? Consider for a second, when you come here to post, do you say "we" when you reference bards, or "you"? -Cait

>I think you need to reread the post I responded to, then your latest response. Then consider who's being eloquent in their arguments.

As you can see from my post, I was not saying non-bards should not post, I was merely asking you, you as in folks who do not self-identify as bards, to question what your dog was or is in the fight. If you are not a bard, enjoy being a bard, or are interested in bards, why are you posting in the bard forums?

-Cait
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/29/2013 11:01 AM CDT
>> someone like Aratos..

Thanks for trying to marginalize my opinion. Acting as if I just waltzed in here and saying what I did out of shear boredom. I've been playing on and off since 1994. My current main is a bard and I absolutely love it. I don't care one but that bards didn't get any of the new shield maneuvers. I never said that bards shouldn't have any development. Singing sword could use some help and I would love to be able to sing up some sonic handwraps. Maybe flesh out the guild some more. Like I said though, other classes need more development, paladins especially.
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/29/2013 11:16 AM CDT
>As you can see from my post, I was not saying non-bards should not post, I was merely asking you, you as in folks who do not self-identify as bards, to question what your dog was or is in the fight. If you are not a bard, enjoy being a bard, or are interested in bards, why are you posting in the bard forums?

-Cait

The first part of your response ("I'm not saying non-bards should not post") doesn't really go along with your last ("If you are not a bard, enjoy being a bard, or are interested in bards, why are you posting in the bard forums?")

Like I said previously, I believe my interpretation of the feeling in (at least some) of the Bardic community is accurate.

In fact, your response merely enforced that.

-farmer
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/29/2013 11:27 AM CDT
>>Easily the most OP class in the game and you want more? -ARATOS

>>I get that you want new things and I'm sure you will at some point, but I'd say bard development is at the bottom of the totem pole. They have killer combat abilities and om of a kind utility skills that are in high demand by the entire player base. They don't need or warrant any of these new cm skills. -ARATOS

>>It's not a matter of being fair. It's just that other classes are so much more underdeveloped compared to bards. I would love to see all the other classes be comparable to bards. -ARATOS

>Thanks for trying to marginalize my opinion. Acting as if I just waltzed in here and saying what I did out of shear boredom. I've been playing on and off since 1994. My current main is a bard and I absolutely love it. I don't care one but that bards didn't get any of the new shield maneuvers. I never said that bards shouldn't have any development. Singing sword could use some help and I would love to be able to sing up some sonic handwraps. Maybe flesh out the guild some more. Like I said though, other classes need more development, paladins especially. -ARATOS

From the contents of your previous posts, it easy to draw the conclusion that you would rather see other professions other than bards get development. Your first post, in particular, in this thread came across as very dismissive of the bard wants or needs. Well, I'm glad that you feel that bards are already awesome. I agree, which is why I play them. But if you feel that other professions are more deserving of more development, shouldn't you bring it up in those forums instead of repeatedly stating that bards don't need or warrant attention here?

This is the bard forum. It's what the bard forums are for. Discussing bard development.

-Cait
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/29/2013 11:37 AM CDT
>The first part of your response ("I'm not saying non-bards should not post") doesn't really go along with your last ("If you are not a bard, enjoy being a bard, or are interested in bards, why are you posting in the bard forums?") -farmer

Perhaps you're misreading my wording? I have never once stated that non bards should not post. Nor have I said that that only bards should post. I merely questioned what your INTENT of posting in the bard folders is if you have NO INTEREST in bards.

And it's still a valid question. One that only the reader can answer. If you are not a bard, and are NOT INTERESTED in bards, then what precisely IS your purpose in posting here?

-Cait
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/29/2013 12:08 PM CDT
Concera, do pay attention to the topic of the thread. I answered the posed question and stated my opinions. You obviously don't care for opinion and that is fine. But don't try to act all high and mighty just because you disagree with me and others, it's not helping your cause any.
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/29/2013 12:42 PM CDT

"Concera, do pay attention to the topic of the thread. I answered the posed question and stated my opinions. You obviously don't care for opinion and that is fine. But don't try to act all high and mighty just because you disagree with me and others, it's not helping your cause any.-aratos"

Lets not kid ourselves the cause is not helped or hindered by anything players write here. Instigators coming in and sniffing/trolling/poo-pooing ideas and or the givers of said ideas, and I will even add everyone in between.

I could argue most professions as being OP, so coming in here and saying bards are OP holds no water with me.

What I think should be said is why are PLAYERS arguing benefits and merits of ideas for bards instead of simply proposing ideas and being constructive about others ideas. I think that is what is at the heart of what Galenok is writing about. Let the GM's decide what sticks. Hinging any professions development on who "should" be next on some totem pole just bogs down the process. Everyone should be next because everyone should get coding. Reality limits that but our ideas shouldn't be limited.

GBB
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/29/2013 12:48 PM CDT
>Concera, do pay attention to the topic of the thread. I answered the posed question and stated my opinions. You obviously don't care for opinion and that is fine. But don't try to act all high and mighty just because you disagree with me and others, it's not helping your cause any. -ARATOS

Can you objectively tell me that your first response to the original question of the thread wasn't designed to be construed as dismissive? And if you wish to be dismissive, that is certainly your call, but then you shouldn't be surprised when other bards get upset.

Can you provide reasons as to why bards are OP and do not deserve shield mechanics in their own right, not based on the status of other profession development?

What do bards have now that preclude them from being considered for shield maneuvers? Since bards already have shield bash available as a CMan, and access to rogue-type CMans as well, it would make some sense to have access to at least the SMan version of shield bash and perhaps some of the more magical rogue shield maneuvers. Balance issues can be addressed by increasing the costs for SMans for magical semis as they have already done for CMans.

And if it does make RP or mechanical sense that bards should have access to these skills, what does the state of the other profession development have anything to do with granting or denying this?

-Cait
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/29/2013 05:34 PM CDT
Krakii I don't see how you could think the emphasis was on stuns, when I said injury/dispel, sadly I hunt pretty inconsistently and in the scatter I managed to get stunned several times a hunt,it also takes me a long time to get in and out of the area so I tend to have a good number of wounds or boxes stacked up by the end. I sometimes blow out my nerves or take a head injury that prevents me from singing, even with sigil of determination. An that makes for a very long, unpleasant walk back to the sands with no armor.

Archales
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 04/30/2013 10:01 AM CDT
I mis-remember: do scars prevent singing, or only the wounds themselves?

I do know that there was something giving me wounds up in the Broken Lands that was annoying enough for me to start carrying herbs for head & neck wounds, and self-medicating. (This got easier when I realized I should start using Tonis while I was chewing through the herbiage, both for the shorter RTs and added Dodge ranks while I was busy doing it.)

I (briefly) addressed Dispel, inasmuch as it needs to be treated just like anyone else deals with spellcasting creatures. As annoying as it is to have a really nice spell removed--why is it that it seems to hit Elemental Defense III more often than Elemental Defense I?!?--I almost always like that better than having to deal with something damaging.

My big point was that by the time you're hunting the Scatter as you said, not-using Sonic Equipment Songs because of the potential to have them drop due to Renewal while stunned/disabled is no longer a good reason for not-using them. By that time, the durations are good enough that the likelihood of having the Renewal hit and being disabled coincide should be significantly controllable (find an empty room, sing Peace, whatever).
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 05/02/2013 10:53 AM CDT
Archales is on point here. Freeing up cman points for bards trained in shield use hurts other classes how?

With bard TD weakness the focus smans are naturals. +5 CvA isn't huge but if you train shield I don't see why the non-magical classes get more defense against spells. That makes no sense. I'd say the focus smans should be available to all classes really.

The group smans are also good candiates to make available to all players who want to spend tps that way.
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 05/02/2013 12:39 PM CDT
<<<<I don't see why the non-magical classes get more defense against spells. That makes no sense.>>>>

That's a really good point.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 05/02/2013 01:49 PM CDT
>That's a really good point.
~ Heathyr and friends

I moderately disagree.

-farmer
Re: Am I the only one upset that we didn't get the shield skills? 05/02/2013 04:54 PM CDT
<<<I moderately disagree.>>>

I strongly disagree with your moderate disagreement.

~ Heathyr and friends
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page