Lich with Avalon 09/28/2011 12:25 AM CDT
I am having problems getting lich to work with Avalon. I have followed the directions, even had lich activity load in terminal but when I log in I do not have it! Please advise. Thanks so much.
Re: Lich with Avalon 09/30/2011 10:54 AM CDT
What does terminal look like? It should go something like this:

Infinity:~ peter$ sudo ruby ~/documents/lich/lich.rbw --gemstone --avalon
Password:

Then you enter your password and this spits out:

Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-dI6XlN/org.x:0".
Pretending to be gs3.simutronics.net
Listening on port 4900
Waiting for the client to connect...

Then you launch Avalon like normal and login to the game, and terminal will spit out:

Connection with the local game client is open.

And then you should be able to run lich scripts (;help for example)

-Keleborrn.
Re: Lich with Avalon 10/04/2011 01:49 PM CDT

After I enter my password I get this message:

ruby: No such file or directory -- lich.rbw (LoadError)

I have obviously done something wrong. Now that I've used Lich on my PC, I can't go back. ;) Anymore advise would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!
Re: Lich with Avalon 10/04/2011 07:28 PM CDT

The command you are running is attempting to locate the file lich.rbw but is unable to. You have to change to the directory where the file lich.rbw is located and run the command again to get it to start.

-X
Re: Lich with Avalon 10/04/2011 09:19 PM CDT

Thank you so much. I was finally able to get it to start!
Re: Lich with Avalon 01/07/2015 10:49 PM CST

I was wondering if anyone can help me set up Lich with Avalon. I have followed all the instructions online and put Lich in the right folder.

Yet I type in: sudo ruby ~/documents/lich/lich.rbw --gemstone --avalon

And I get the following: /Users/James/documents/lich/lich.rbw:3323: undefined (?...) sequence: /[^\s"](?<!\\)"(?:\\"|[^"])+(?<!\\)"[^\s]|(?:\\"|[^"\s])+/
/Users/James/documents/lich/lich.rbw:3323: undefined (?...) sequence: /(?<!\\)"/
James-Alexander-Christies-MacBook-Pro:~ James$

Anyone know what is going on and how I can solve the issue?
Re: Lich with Avalon 01/08/2015 01:33 AM CST
Oh, a tricky one. I haven't seen this type of behavior before. That string in the 'sequence' line is a regular expression that is part of a command that takes your line (the sudo ruby line) and breaks it into variables to process later. Seems to work just fine, through a couple of tests on my system, and validating it with a regular expression checker.

I've checked a couple of different facets of this, and can't recreate what you have.

Do me a favor, and send me the output from the following commands from your terminal session? You can put it here, or email it to me at doug at play dot net, if you would rather. I'd recommend email, but leave it to you to decide.

which ruby
ruby -v
which gem
gem -v
gem list
echo $PATH

These commands will, in order, tell us: the first ruby installation location; the version of that ruby; the first ruby gem installation location; that version of ruby gems; the locally installed gems, and; the PATH variable on your system (which might let us know if there may be other places to be looking.)

Also, if you faithfully followed the instructions, Macports could be involved. I really need to talk to someone about upgrading the Macports instructions to Homebrew.

Let me know.

Doug
Re: Lich with Avalon 01/08/2015 02:53 PM CST
Ahh, finally got it to trigger and recreate what you're seeing.

Ok, your information should confirm that you're currently running ruby 1.8.7 (from the which ruby and ruby -v commands).

Need to know you did Macports, then we'll just work a bit of magic by getting the old out of the way and getting the new in place, and you should be good!

In anticipation, let's add one more set of commands to the feedback list:

/opt/local/bin/ruby -v
/opt/local/bin/gem -v

Doug
Re: Lich with Avalon 01/08/2015 03:38 PM CST
That error is due to a negative lookbehind in a regular expression, a feature that was implemented in Ruby 1.9. Ruby considers this to be a syntax error, meaning it doesn't even begin to execute Lich, meaning Lich can't check your Ruby version and tell you that you need Ruby 2.0, even though it wants to.

There isn't yet a good set of instructions for Lich 4.6 on OSX. However, on the latest version of OSX, the built-in version of Ruby seems to actually work, and all you need to do is install the gems (sudo gem install sqlite3 gtk2). Since you're getting this error, you don't have that version of OSX.

Any existing instructions for Lich on Mac are not going to take into account the need for Ruby 2.0. If you guys figure it out, send me the instructions and I'll put them on the website.

Or, you could go back to Lich 4.4 (https://lichproject.org/download/lich-4.4.22.zip) which will work with Ruby 1.8, and make everyone sad.

- Tillmen
Re: Lich with Avalon 01/08/2015 10:37 PM CST
Doug and Tillmen, thank you for the follow up.

Yes, Doug I did do Macports. I followed steps 1 and 2 on this page: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

And this is what I get when I type in each of the commands:

which ruby: /usr/bin/ruby

ruby -v: ruby 1.8.7 (2012-02-08 patchlevel 358) [universal-darwin10.0]

which gem: /usr/bin/gem

gem -v: 1.3.5

gem list: * LOCAL GEMS *

actionmailer (2.3.18, 2.3.5, 1.3.6)
actionpack (2.3.18, 2.3.5, 1.13.6)
actionwebservice (1.2.6)
activerecord (2.3.18, 2.3.5, 1.15.6)
activeresource (2.3.18, 2.3.5)
activesupport (2.3.18, 2.3.5, 1.4.4)
acts_as_ferret (0.4.8.1, 0.4.3)
capistrano (2.5.21, 2.5.2)
cgi_multipart_eof_fix (2.5.0)
daemons (1.0.10)
dnssd (0.6.0)
fastthread (1.0.7, 1.0.1)
fcgi (0.8.7)
ferret (0.11.8.5, 0.11.6)
gem_plugin (0.2.3)
highline (1.5.2, 1.5.0)
hpricot (0.6.164)
json (1.5.5)
libxml-ruby (1.1.2)
mongrel (1.1.5)
needle (1.3.0)
net-scp (1.0.4, 1.0.1)
net-sftp (2.0.5, 2.0.1, 1.1.1)
net-ssh (2.0.24, 2.0.4, 1.1.4)
net-ssh-gateway (1.0.1, 1.0.0)
rack (1.1.6, 1.0.1)
rails (2.3.18, 2.3.5, 1.2.6)
rake (0.8.7, 0.8.3)
RedCloth (4.2.9, 4.1.1)
ruby-openid (2.1.8, 2.1.2)
ruby-yadis (0.3.4)
rubynode (0.1.5)
sqlite3-ruby (1.2.5, 1.2.4)
termios (0.9.4)
xmpp4r (0.4)

echo $PATH: /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

/opt/local/bin/ruby -v: -bash: /opt/local/bin/ruby: No such file or directory

/opt/local/bin/gem -v: -bash: /opt/local/bin/gem: No such file or directory

This is what I got. What do I do next to get lich working? FYI I am running Mac OSX 10.6.8

-James
Re: Lich with Avalon 01/08/2015 10:54 PM CST
Thanks, James -

I sent you a note with a couple options. The thing that I find puzzling is that you have the paths for Macports, but the instructions at the website you sent me to have instructions on Homebrew. Homebrew is my preferred method - but I wouldn't expect to see all that /opt/local path information cluttering up your system with Homebrew.

At any rate - we're going to have to:

1) Find or install Ruby 2.
2) Make sure GEM is set up to use the new Ruby
3) Install GTK2 and SQLite 3 (easy, once we get those two in place -- the instructions on my previous post will work)
4) Get you into the game!

Let me know via email, and we'll get you in.

Doug