Help with katana! 09/28/2004 12:44 AM CDT
I got one of the new styles vaalorn katanas from the hut. And this happens when I assess it:

assess my kat
You assess the katana for structural weaknesses and strengths.

Careful examination indicates the vaalorn katana has a base strength of 85 and a base durability of 255. You also determine the current integrity of the vaalorn katana to be at 100.0%.

For some reason, you can't seem to get a feel for the katana.

Why can't I get a feel for it? Aone and other people have told me "I'm not good at assessing". But I know this isn't the case..

You remove a battle-marred warlord's katana from in your claidhmore harness.
>assess my kat
You sense a strange quality about the katana, almost as if the sword is aware of your touch.

You assess the katana for structural weaknesses and strengths.

Careful examination indicates the warlord's katana has a base strength of 75 and a base durability of 225. You also determine the current integrity of the warlord's katana to be at 100.0%.

Checking out the katana, it looks like it's weighted to inflict more critical blows.

Roundtime: 22 sec.

That's the 0x quest one.
Re: Help with katana! 09/28/2004 02:05 AM CDT
Because the quest katanas are flagged with scripts and shows so you wont get a read assessing.

It's a pain in the ass and a lot of merchants that add extra 'flare' to thier weapons and armors will cause that to happen. It becomes a guessing game... and if you go to any merchants now a days note the properties so you wont forget them in the future. I know I wish I had so I would know what half my stuff does.

Xatier
Re: Help with katana! 09/28/2004 02:09 AM CDT
I'm sure that info is helpful for those who didn't know (me) about it.

But if you see from his post he gets a different reading from his altered-quest katana then from the hut katana.

So its not the quest one being a problem, unless its the extra messaging in there. So I don't see why quest scripts and show would have an issue on assessing the first katana, which is a vaalorn one, and not a quest one.

~Jeff
~Aim: Hakwea
"Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him." --Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine, AFC 54
Re: Help with katana! 09/28/2004 02:17 AM CDT
Perhaps I need to go to bed....

Umm... well now I dont got a clue. Thought those 2 were flip flopped... hmmm...

That I don't have an answer for... but I do know that there are items out there that wont assess because of excessive scripting on the item. Have couple armors and weapons like that. I thought the quest katanas were like that, but obviously not.

Got me baffled on that one though, sorry couldn't be more helpful.

Xatier
Re: Help with katana! 09/28/2004 08:17 AM CDT
If the quest katana was altered (which it looks like it was) I believe the script that is initially attached to it is removed. It was mentioned in the answers to people's questions on altering the quest katanas. That would be why you can assess it.

See if the vaalorn katana has a script attached. Try to ANALYZE it, and see if you get the 'free from restrictions' message or something else. If it's something else, there's a chance the item has a script attached.

--
Oliver, player of Selandriel and Co.

Visit Selandriel's Emporium in Wehnimer's Landing's East Row! Find the brownstone store with a gabled roof at the east end of Fel Road!
Re: Help with katana! 09/28/2004 02:23 PM CDT
In most cases scripted items are not assess-able. There are some exceptions (like the KQ katanas), but the general rule applies 99% of the time.

I'm not 100% certain the shop katanas are scripted (not my system) but that would be the correct messaging for it.
Re: Help with katana! 09/28/2004 05:55 PM CDT
>>In most cases scripted items are not assess-able. There are some exceptions (like the KQ katanas), but the general rule applies 99% of the time.

Elnath, wasn't this something that was supposed to be fixed when we moved to GS4?

--Kinshack's player