Prev_page Previous 1
katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/05/2004 09:55 PM CDT
The LACK of response to this thread is VERY troubling. So far, the only response I got was from the board monitor to tell me one of my posts was Blowtorch (which it was. Sue me I was upset). Lack of attention to a brand new system and lack of concern for players (aka paying customers) experience has lent a whole level of disenchantment with the game as a whole. Granted, I will live without a nifty katana. However, Jaernal and myself dedicated A LOT of time to trying to acquire one. Now... I can't spend as much time as I would like to trying to get one.

Jaernal Formasantos

P.S. Someone kill the monkey. Please.
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/05/2004 10:23 PM CDT
>Jaernal and myself dedicated A LOT of time to trying to acquire one. Now... I can't spend as much time as I would like to trying to get one.
>Jaernal Formasantos

No one forced you to sit in the weaponsmith waiting. Go about your life as though there were no merchant, similar to 2 weeks ago (or however long exactly, I have a cold right now). The merchant will still be there when people get tired of camping/reselling.

I'm willing to bet the GMs aren't commenting because they just did a huge favor for everyone by releasing an indefinite amount of up to +20 heavily crit weighted THW into the game pre-breakage. If all you can do is focus on the bad, then maybe you ought to step back and rethink things. If it still bothers you, pretend they don't exist and keep playing the game you've played for X amount of time.

~Ratboy
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/06/2004 12:31 AM CDT
Your right. Absolutely. I shouldn't have waited because there were clearly defined rules and posted parameters on how long the wait would be and how many customers would be taken at a time. Everything I have learned from this has been learned from word of mouth. I had no idea I would be camping so long there. So, now that I have seen a problem, pointing it out (as several others have) is out of line right? Pretend the system doesn't exist instead of proclaiming it being broken sounds like a good plan to me (note the sarcasm).
As far as focus goes, it IS great that that they released these weapons. However, it would be nice if the distribution would be fair and balanced.
I am not one to pretend a problem doesn't exist. As far as I can see, a few are benefiting from a system that should be benefiting the whole. To me, that represents an issue not only with flawed mechanics, but with ethics and plain good ol' fashion justice. If you are ok with that, thats your problem. I am not ok with it and will not be shy about pointing at the King and saying loudly, "He ain't got no clothes on".

Jaernal Formasantos
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/06/2004 09:25 AM CDT
>So, now that I have seen a problem, pointing it out (as several others have) is out of line right? Pretend the system doesn't exist instead of proclaiming it being broken sounds like a good plan to me (note the sarcasm).
>Jaernal Formasantos

Listen, I offered suggestions on how to relieve yourself of some stress. If you insist on ramming your head into a wall by sitting around and doing nothing while you fight the issue, go ahead. No need to get all sarcastic because you don't like something I suggested. Just as you can suggest something is broken and needs to be fixed, I can suggest that they're not.

Thanks for understanding.

~Ratboy
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/06/2004 10:02 AM CDT
LOL!
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/06/2004 02:10 PM CDT
Just as you can suggest something is broken and needs to be fixed, I can suggest that they're not.

~Ratboy

I can call a Rolton Salma Hayek it don't make it prettier.

Jaernal Formasantos
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/06/2004 03:27 PM CDT
>I can call a Rolton Salma Hayek it don't make it prettier.
>Jaernal Formasantos

..and it will certainly not get you a date with her either.

Cryheart
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/06/2004 07:50 PM CDT
It seems that Jaernal's frustration is with the lack of SIMU response. Probably not the advice that he go do something more constructive with his time rather than wait at a hut where he has little to no chance beating a scripter to order a katana. That SIMU has done nothing while the hut scammers continue to make katana's/reorder and now net sell them is completely outrageous. It seems to me that the only folks not outraged by this are those with either a lack of interest in katanas or those profiting by the hut scam. Its an easy fix to attune those katanas...if SIMU really wanted to stop the "scripting for profit"eers that is. And, if they dont want to stop them from doing what they're doing guess we have our answer. Just my 2cents.

Lady Caladrial
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/06/2004 07:55 PM CDT
If people are upset, they need to write Feedback, at the least.

While I love what she's done for the Rest, by her posts, Jineer seems to be somewhat involved with it, so you could try sending her an email (with constructive phrasing) concerning the problem. Flaming her will not help. =P

Rail

Ik q*'*ap goort pra ik gno*'*ap goort k*'*pla?
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 02:15 AM CDT
<<If people are upset, they need to write Feedback, at the least.>>

Actually, Jaernal/Jeff was doing what a GM in game suggested he do..Post on the boards about the problem so that the GM in charge of this would be aware of the complaint.

~Nichoel~

Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there!
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 02:29 AM CDT
>I can call a Rolton Salma Hayek it don't make it prettier.
>Jaernal Formasantos

..and it will certainly not get you a date with her either.

This I have personally verified, and have the annoyed stare from my wife to confirm...

GM Solli
Squares / Semis / Breakage
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 10:53 AM CDT
<<Actually, Jaernal/Jeff was doing what a GM in game suggested he do..Post on the boards about the problem so that the GM in charge of this would be aware of the complaint.

And after doing that, there isn't much help to posting over and over again still upset. By writing to feedback you again increase the odds of your complaints being heard, as Feedback would also send your concerns to the GM in charge versus waiting here for that GM to read and reply.

Rail

Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 12:00 PM CDT
>No one forced you to sit in the weaponsmith waiting. Go about your life as though there were no merchant, similar to 2 weeks ago (or however long exactly, I have a cold right now). The merchant will still be there when people get tired of camping/reselling.

>I'm willing to bet the GMs aren't commenting because they just did a huge favor for everyone by releasing an indefinite amount of up to +20 heavily crit weighted THW into the game pre-breakage. If all you can do is focus on the bad, then maybe you ought to step back and rethink things. If it still bothers you, pretend they don't exist and keep playing the game you've played for X amount of time.

Well said.

This is the same silliness people displayed with the the quest katanas. I read about that and said "ah how cute, let people snarl over truffles for a couple of weeks, by the time I bother to go get one there wont be anyone else doing it". Sure enough, the merchant comes out a little later and you dont hear about the quest because people are snarling over the vultite ones. So I say, "ah how cute, next merchant event will probably have 5-10 different vultite ones with actual descriptions".

It is good that people are raising the issue that this ordering system is a problem - hopefully the Gms will note the dissatisfaction and act appropriately. But really, as the market begins to saturate everyone will calm down. Katanas are just the gemstone equivalent of Cabbage Patch Kids or Tickle-me-Elmo at the moment. It will pass. Six months from now youll wonder what the fuss was.

Landrion/Katryn
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 12:05 PM CDT
>Katanas are just the gemstone equivalent of Cabbage Patch Kids or Tickle-me-Elmo at the moment. It will pass. Six months from now youll wonder what the fuss was.
>Landrion/Katryn

Good analagy (sp?)

~Ratboy
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 12:08 PM CDT
I think essentially the problem is that these are off the shelf 4x heavy crit weighted fast ambush/mstrike two handers.

The problem will only get worse as people discover the benefit of such a weapon to add to their two hander arsenal. (even thought a katana user probably wont reap the benefits of mstrike/ambush until 30 trains)

Really, if you are going to sell over the counter katanas, make them blessable. All you doing is making two handed weapons an easy weapon path. Why use polearms when you can get off the shelf 4x crit weighted two handers?

It comes down to a game balance issue almost. I'm suprised Warden didn't already nerf this.
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 12:13 PM CDT
>Why use polearms when you can get off the shelf 4x crit weighted two handers?
>JERAMY

Because you can get off the shelf 4x blessable/ebladeable naginatas for 3k without waiting.

8x flaring halberd is pretty devastating, similar to 4x heavy crit weighted katanas. Actually, I'd prefer the 8x halberd (naginata) with flares since weighting is capped at rank9, then halved.

~Ratboy
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 12:32 PM CDT
>I think essentially the problem is that these are off the shelf 4x heavy crit weighted fast ambush/mstrike two handers.

Interesting. I think you're overestimating how much crit weighting really means.

>The problem will only get worse as people discover the benefit of such a weapon to add to their two hander arsenal. (even thought a katana user probably wont reap the benefits of mstrike/ambush until 30 trains)
>Really, if you are going to sell over the counter katanas, make them blessable. All you doing is making two handed weapons an easy weapon path. Why use polearms when you can get off the shelf 4x crit weighted two handers?
>It comes down to a game balance issue almost. I'm suprised Warden didn't already nerf this.

What do you think this weapon can do that the existing two handers or poles cannot? How many ranks does heavy crit add on most wounds? Also consider that crit weighting is randomized in terms of benefit now. As well as the fact that wounds themselves randomize. Crit weighting is just not the sure route to a kill that it used to be.

Aside from which, claidhs never put lances out of business either - even under GS3. I dont see Katanas putting flamberges out of business (and flamberges arent even very popular).

As much as Id personally like a blessable katana, Id have to say dont worry about the weighted ones imbalancing anything.

Also, as mentioned, Naginatas are pretty beastly with eblade. Futhermore, a pure two hander cannot synergize with shields the way a polearmer can thanks to spears.

Landrion/Katryn
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 01:12 PM CDT
<<By writing to feedback you again increase the odds of your complaints being heard, as Feedback would also send your concerns to the GM in charge versus waiting here for that GM to read and reply.>>

I literally laughed aloud when I read this. Has feedback gone through some miraculous change while I was away?? Granted it was 4 years or so that I was pretty much 'gone' from the game-so it IS possible..but given it was more than that many years that I was here prior, and every single time I wrote feedback it was nothing more than lip service on my part....I found that very amusing. :grin: Thanks for the chuckle either way, I can always use a reason to snicker!

Back to the issue, my point is:I do not fault someone for following a GMs advice, and then getting a bit heated when you don't get ANY response from a SIMU representative, and on top of that have to deal w/everyone else (non GM-ish) telling you that you're wrong, or silly, or should calm down about XXX. He never would have posted this here if a GM in game had not told him this was the avenue of communication he should take in order to garner a response (not feedback).

~Nichoel~

Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there!
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 02:08 PM CDT
I liked the argument about how we didn't have it befor, so we should stop complaining that we don't have it now... Does that mean all develoupment of the game can stop? No more new releases? No more new spells? We didn't have them befor, so we certainly don't need them now.

Aduro Terrarun - Mage Priest of Cingh
Volaticus Tamamushi - Winged Warrior of Honor
Asmodea Drey'Haus - Annoying Pain in the Arse
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 02:35 PM CDT
<<Back to the issue, my point is:I do not fault someone for following a GMs advice, and then getting a bit heated when you don't get ANY response from a SIMU representative, and on top of that have to deal w/everyone else (non GM-ish) telling you that you're wrong, or silly, or should calm down about XXX. He never would have posted this here if a GM in game had not told him this was the avenue of communication he should take in order to garner a response (not feedback).

I never faulted anyone for posting here about the problem. I pointed out that increasingly heated posts won't help their case. I then offered another alternative to doing more than the aforementioned angry posting. In fact, the most likely response from a GM to the people becoming frustrated here on the boards. Now if you want to take that as a malicious post of sorts, be my guest.

Rail

Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 02:49 PM CDT
Well I would post something but I don't know anything. I am very sure that the people who have this system are aware of it due to the posts here and other places and from comments from staff like me who read the boards and point them here. Please be patient and if they decide to change it we will post here so everyone who reads the boards will be aware.

Thanks.

Zilana
Board Moderator
GS4-Zilana@play.net
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 02:56 PM CDT

First off I will preface this post with this:

I am VERY happy with the game as a whole and the ideas and concepts recently released.

That being said, I will not sit on my thumb and be happy with a situation that is obviously flawed. It is not my nature as a person. I will complain and complain loudly. I have intended to focus on the inherent problem with the system, and the people (without mentioning names) abusing it. The only time I feel the heat has risen is when I am told that no one forced me to be there. Go on and pretend it doesn't exist. I am unable to comply. The point is, is that I did travel there, I did wait as agreed (after a bit of RP with a GM run Sabizki) and immediately was edged out time and time again by people reordering. I do not avoid conflict and I will not smile a false smile and tell the GM in charge they released a great system. I would hope that the GM in question would respect and appreciate someone to tell it like it is rather than false bit of praise. Unlike others, I am no lickspittle.

Jaernal Formasantos
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 04:30 PM CDT
Zilana, thank you for posting, even if you aren't able to do anything directly about the issues presented in this folder. It is at least reassuring to know that someone is reading and hearing the reports of this wonderful but abused system.

Odysia

"You will still be my enemy in the morning."
"You are still my enemy tonight."
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 04:42 PM CDT
Ody, stop sucking up and just give me your katana. Problem solved!
Sunzthu
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 05:50 PM CDT
Well, at least with last week spent watching a mostly blank screen scroll by, waiting seemingly endless hours for a shot at a katana, something good did come from the boredom... My kitchen is the cleanest it has been since I moved in.

Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 06:07 PM CDT
> Katanas are just the gemstone equivalent of Cabbage Patch Kids or Tickle-me-Elmo at the moment.

Oh no... and it's not even December yet <groan><grin>
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 06:17 PM CDT
Can come clean my kitchen and parts in-between while you wait for a katana! The Charley and Frances wrecking crew decided it was time to remodel a'la nature style. <Grin>
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 06:20 PM CDT
Heh, your on your own for cleaning. Picked up my katana today finaly. That and I only managed to get my kitchen cleaned. Still have to do the living room and critter's room.

Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/07/2004 06:32 PM CDT
Bother... maybe when and if hurricane Ivan rolls through this coming weekend, he'll clean up what Charley and Frances did. <grin>
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/08/2004 06:18 AM CDT
>I liked the argument about how we didn't have it befor, so we should stop complaining that we don't have it now... Does that mean all develoupment of the game can stop? No more new releases? No more new spells? We didn't have them befor, so we certainly don't need them now.
>Asmodea

You misread. We had very limited to no chance of getting katanas prior to this quest and merchant. If you did get the chance, it was several millions of silver. Now the option opened to allow everyone a free 0x heavy crit katana, and up to 4x heavy crit katana with an endless resource.

My point, if you still are having trouble wrapping your brain around it: The option_/_abilty for everyone to get a katana, regardless of how long it may take, is better than no option/ability at all.

~Ratboy
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/08/2004 10:18 AM CDT
>Ody, stop sucking up and just give me your katana. Problem solved!
Sunzthu

Heh.

No! I had to travel all the way to soot-land to get mine!

:P

Someone was selling their brand new +18 katana yesterday in Landing for 6 mil...wonder how much it ended up selling for...

Please limit the number of katana's one can order in a specific timeframe.

Odysia

"You will still be my enemy in the morning."
"You are still my enemy tonight."
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/11/2004 11:11 AM CDT
Wouldn't the easiet "solution" to this ordering system be to allow a new order to be placed as soon as the other weapon is completed? By this I mean, not when its picked up by the purchaser, but when the time allotted is actually up. If it takes 144 hours to make a vultite katana, once its ordered the 144 hours timer starts, and when its up someone else orders. This system would do two things. One, it would keep the original design to allow players to re-order, but it would require them to be there at the exact time to make their order. Currently, its just too easy for the "offenders" to re-order, but if they were forced to time their re-order to the minute, it could prove to be far far more difficult to "exploit" the system.

I personally waited just a couple hours before realizing that it would take at least a week or two before I had a chance to order a katana. I can use them better than 90% of the people who want one (being trained fully in one handed edged and two-handed weapons), but I know its going to take sometime for these GM folks to get the ordering system in line. I'd encourage your suggestions, but continued complaints on this thread will really just add to your own frustration as well as anyone else who is looking into this topic.

-- Maerit

"Have you met my sword? His name is Smoosh."
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/11/2004 08:54 PM CDT
I was thinking the same thing. Opening a spot upon completion of an order would solve the major problems with the current system. I've spent a lot of time with Sabizki recently, and it concerned me that neither I nor anyone else I have spoken to has seen anyone picking up an order recently. I haven't been at the hut round the clock, so it is possible I just missed it, but like someone pointed out earlier on the thread, if someone places an order and then doesn't bother to pick it up for several weeks, the rest of us suffer. It is putting control of the whole ordering system in the hands of a small group of players, where it really shouldn't be. Even so, I like the above idea mostly because of the difficulty of reordering.

Also, what I think makes the system frustrating for some is the fact that if you don't live in the Elven Nations, then getting an order placed is even more difficult. If you knew that you could make a trip and, even if it takes several weeks, come back with something, it would be one thing. But with the length and annoyance of the Landing--EN voyage, and no hope of the demand decreasing anytime soon, you'd have to commit to spending an indeterminate amount of time there to guarantee you'd come home with a weapon. I was hoping to get a katana in time to bring it back to my cleric in the Landing when I voyage home later this month, but I am not very hopeful about it. She will survive without it, but it is disappointing. I'm sure for many the katana is a fad weapon that they will tire of, but for some of us it is more than that.

Anyway, I do want to say thank you to the GMs for making katanas available at all to those of us who are not independently wealthy. We're just going to have to adjust to the fact that it may take a while to actually get one.
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/11/2004 09:00 PM CDT
Eh... it may just be due to the fact that it takes about a week to make vultite.

-Conan
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/11/2004 09:07 PM CDT
That EN to Landing trip is why I put the amount of effort into it that I did. If it was a matter of hunting and coming back it was one thing, but as I wanted to be in Solhaven and socalizing there, I wanted to get my katana, get it over with, and get back to my character's life. And I do defonitly think they need to make it avalable upon completion, not pick up.

I do know someone ordered a vultite naginita though, which is even more expencive and has an even longer wait time than the vultite katanas. He ordered it Tuesday, and still has 149 hours left on it when I asked him just now.

Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/12/2004 05:42 PM CDT

I do know someone ordered a vultite naginita though, which is even more expencive and has an even longer wait time than the vultite katanas. He ordered it Tuesday, and still has 149 hours left on it when I asked him just now.

Off topic, but when he receives it will you ask him to test if it's blessable? I could see the high cost and long wait time for that.

Soups.
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/12/2004 05:45 PM CDT
err...

Can't you get a 4x naginta from the landing place for a few thousand silvers?

Why then would an actual vultite one be so much more?

Or am I just confusing weapons...

And just to clear up if i am, nagintas are the ones that are e-bladeable to 8x correct? If not then yeah don't mind me as i'm confusing weapons I've never used...

~Jeff
~Aim: Hakwea
"Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him." --Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine, AFC 54
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/12/2004 06:14 PM CDT

I would guess the assumption is that if you can e-blade a naginata, making it for all intents and purposes 8x for a limited number of swings, then a vultite naginata would be a "natural" 8x with no e-blade necessary. Whether or not this is actually the case I do not know.

The Black Swan

> A Vvrael witch moans, the tones intimating a poignant longing, carrying whispers of death with its possibility of bliss and eternal understanding.

Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/12/2004 06:36 PM CDT
>I would guess the assumption is that if you can e-blade a naginata, making it for all intents and purposes 8x for a limited number of swings, then a vultite naginata would be a "natural" 8x with no e-blade necessary. Whether or not this is actually the case I do not know.
>The Black Swan

There were several naginatas sold recently made of magic metals which were not ebladeable. It seems only the simple "a naginata" is ebladeable to 8x. Of course, these new ones may be different.

~Ratboy
Re: katanas, annoying monkeys and frustration... 09/12/2004 08:01 PM CDT

So they then don't take the inherent +20 bonus that a naginata has and add the bonus of the metal type on top of that, Ratboy?

My pole-arming Bard is only level 8, so I haven't had the time to experiment.

The Black Swan

> A Vvrael witch moans, the tones intimating a poignant longing, carrying whispers of death with its possibility of bliss and eternal understanding.

Prev_page Previous 1