Prev_page Previous 1
quest 08/09/2004 03:21 PM CDT
Where do you find the start of the katana quest?

Brighnasa

http://www.brighnasa.com/Contest.htm
Read the histories!

http://brighnasa.deviantart.com
Character art!
Re: quest 08/09/2004 03:43 PM CDT
>Where do you find the start of the katana quest?

I hadn't heard about it being out yet, is it?

Come to the House of Gnomish Goods for all your trinket needs. Bottom of the Solhaven Spiral, a gaily painted fishnet-covered shack. We'll treat you right!

Check monthly for a new featured 5x item! @--10% discount to gnomes of all sorts--@
Re: quest 08/09/2004 05:33 PM CDT
Suppose it's not active yet with the Dhu-whats-it going on.
Katana quest time limit 08/24/2004 11:37 AM CDT
Ok.

It's a quest. I know quests are supposed to maintain an air of mystery to a certain degree, depending on the quest and who designed it. But..a simple request. Please. Tell us if this is a permanent implementation or not? I spent 5 hours running around gathering truffles last night (and I'm not even close to being done..hee!), but MY problem is..I don't know what ones I need or anything yet..so if I hear someone who KNOWS they need blah blah kind or whatever, I try to help them out when I can and give or trade them one of mine. While chatting, someone invariably comes into the room and grabs the truffle that grew while I was yakking..har! While this is entertaining and all, I'd LOVE to know if I need to stress on finishing this immediately. I hate races. I'd much rather roleplay and be friendly to the other folks trying this, than run around trying to beat other folks out of truffles or whatever like I'm seeing happen. Can someone enlighten us as to whether or not we need to race to the finish or not? Do we have a couple days? A month? Until the end of time? Thanks.

Athena

"Only those things are beautiful which are inspired by madness and written by reason" ~ Andre' Gide
Re: Katana quest time limit 08/24/2004 11:58 AM CDT
Yep, I'd like to know too. Please let us know if this quest is going to be available for a limited time. I'm heading out of town tomorrow until early next month. I'd like to be able to wait to do the quest until after I return, for obvious reasons. If I need to complete this by the end of the month, I'd like to know sooner than later!

Looking forward to it! Many thanks!
Katana question 08/24/2004 05:25 PM CDT
Curious..are these one per character..account..? I'm hoping per character, since it will be way too hard choosing which person gets it if it's one per account. Please say it isn't one per account!

Athena

"Only those things are beautiful which are inspired by madness and written by reason" ~ Andre' Gide
Re: Katana question 08/24/2004 05:33 PM CDT
And is the fact that they are not attuned a bug?
Re: Katana question 08/24/2004 05:37 PM CDT
>And is the fact that they are not attuned a bug?

I'm wondering if it is, considering the SHOW changes like it does.

Come to the House of Gnomish Goods for all your various and sundry needs. Bottom of the Solhaven Spiral, a gaily painted fishnet-covered shack.

Check monthly for a new featured 5x item!
@--10% discount to gnomes of all sorts--@
Re: Katana question 08/24/2004 06:18 PM CDT
>I'm wondering if it is, considering the SHOW changes like it does.

Out of curiosity, how does the SHOW change? If you don't want to post it for whatever reason, my play.net address works :)
Re: Katana question 08/24/2004 06:52 PM CDT
From my elven bard, who got it:

The blade of the katana exhibits the typical precision of Erithi workmanship and forging. Its highly reflective surface is polished to a mirror sheen, with a line of distinct semi-circular patterns where the steel transitions between hardened edge and flexible sides. The hilt is wrapped in yellow silk braid and bears two small silver bat ornaments. The butt cap is of iron and engraved with a fox head.

To my half elven rogue:

The blade of the katana exhibits the typical precision of Erithi workmanship and forging. Its highly reflective surface is polished to a mirror sheen, with a line of distinct semi-circular patterns where the steel transitions between hardened edge and flexible sides. The hilt is wrapped in orange silk braid and bears two small silver wagon ornaments. The butt cap is of iron and engraved with a fox head.

To my erithian sorceress:

The blade of the katana exhibits the typical precision of Erithi workmanship and forging. Its highly reflective surface is polished to a mirror sheen, with a line of distinct semi-circular patterns where the steel transitions between hardened edge and flexible sides. The hilt is wrapped in purple silk braid and bears two small silver crystal ball ornaments. The butt cap is of gold and engraved with a fox head.

There's more, but I'm lazy.

Come to the House of Gnomish Goods for all your various and sundry needs. Bottom of the Solhaven Spiral, a gaily painted fishnet-covered shack.

Re: Katana question 08/24/2004 06:55 PM CDT
The hilt is wrapped in yellow silk braid and bears two small silver trident ornaments. The butt cap is of gold and engraved with a fox head.
Re: Katana question 08/24/2004 07:00 PM CDT
Oh, they seem to be random, but are of the constellations.

Bats, wagons, crystal ball, silver star, gryphon, trident..all of which are constellations.

Re: Katana question 08/24/2004 07:03 PM CDT
Interesting, did not catch the constalation theme, but then I had only seen a few...

Oh, and I would guess they're not random, they're probaly tied to your characters's ID number, same way as the butterfly charms were, so keep people from getting ones too similiar. That would also explain why the show changes when they change hands.

Asmodea Drey'Haus
Re: Katana question 08/24/2004 07:06 PM CDT
Thank you :) I don't have any real interest in owning a katana (or going on the quest) unless I were to roll up a character who'd use one, but I was curious about the differences in the SHOW.
Re: Katana question 08/24/2004 07:10 PM CDT
If it's based on constellations and if gemstone has any correlation with real life zodiac signs...... I would assume that it's tied to the wielders zodiac sign instead of account id?
Re: Katana question 08/24/2004 07:11 PM CDT
I would recomend doing the quest once the crowds die down. The first part right now is an exercise in frustration because of the competition for access to the materials and location you need. If not for the people, it could be entertaining I think, but hard to say as my experiance with it was rather ruined I think.

The second part where your going it alone is just plain damn cool. Figureing out the puzzles is fun. Even if you don't want a katana, I would recomend doing it at least for the second half.

Asmodea Drey'Haus
Re: Katana question 08/24/2004 07:14 PM CDT
I believe there is an Elanthian equavaliant of a zodiac, but my character at least does not have a birthday set, so no idea how that would work.

Asmodea Drey'Haus
Re: Katana question 08/24/2004 07:17 PM CDT
>Oh, and I would guess they're not random,

Random as in not related to birthdate, age, gender, profession, race...in character random.

Re: Katana question 08/24/2004 08:15 PM CDT
They are not tied to the constellations relating to your birth.

But perhaps they are tied to race and profession.

As my sorcerer too has a purple silk, but he has gryphons.

Faendryl Sorcerer.....

And by the way can he sure kill kobolds and the like. 154 as using it one handed with 117, its fun.

~Jeff
~Aim: Hakwea
"Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him." --Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine, AFC 54
Re: Katana question 08/24/2004 08:56 PM CDT
Here's my elven sorceress':

The blade of the katana exhibits the typical precision of Erithi workmanship and forging. Its highly reflective surface is polished to a mirror sheen, with a line of distinct semi-circular patterns where the steel transitions between hardened edge and flexible sides. The hilt is wrapped in blue silk braid and bears two small silver dragonfly ornaments. The butt cap is of mithril and engraved with a fox head.

Two more constellations: shield (The Paladin) and The Dragonfly.

Re: Katana question 08/24/2004 09:18 PM CDT
Has it been confirmed that we can only go through it once?

As I would preferably rather try for the ur-deamon constelation but thats just me....

I wish we could customize them a little more.

After all we are question for it.

After we finish we should be taken back to the hilter/forger. And there we should have a list of options to choose from.

<silk color> and <constelation>.

And maybe a few other things.

And I for one didn't like how the blade seemed to be forged so quickly....

~Jeff
~Aim: Hakwea
"Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him." --Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine, AFC 54
Re: Katana question 08/24/2004 10:01 PM CDT
>I believe there is an Elanthian equavaliant of a zodiac, but my character at least does not have a birthday set, so no idea how that would work.--Asmodea

http://www.play.net/gs4/info/tomes/constellations.asp

For reference - Human Rogue with green silk braid and silver rose ornaments. The character's birthdate falls under the Gates constellation, however - not that of the Mistress of Adoration. She is also Aeia-aligned and with no culture selected, if that potentially has any bearing.

- EK

I am the snake; tempting, that bite you _take
Let_ me free your mind, leave yourself _behind
C'mon_, c'mon, now take the _chance
That's_ right -- let's dance
Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 12:42 AM CDT
I've rolled up about 10-15 new characters in the last hour or so. They're all getting silver/stars/copper for their katanas. Setting age/birthday doesn't seem to do anything, nor does profession or race. Rerolling a character will NOT change the katana, so it seems to be defiantely related to the particular character slot.

I'm not sure why I keep getting the exact same katana details for all the new characters (read: delete and create) though. It's really rather odd. Hopefully some light will be shed on the subject.

Meanwhile, I think my warrior might just deal with silver/stars/copper for now.

--
Oliver, player of Selandriel and Co.

Visit Selandriel's Emporium in Wehnimer's Landing's East Row! Find the brownstone store with a gabled roof at the east end of Fel Road!
Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 03:35 AM CDT
Again, I'm late to this..BUT! (Yay the big but!)

I had a friend hand me their katana so I could look at it..and the show definitely changed. It's NOT profession based because we were both the same profession and when she had it it was orange braid with um..copper? (cant remember the butt metal for sure..and gryphons. When I had it it was yellow braid with mithril and stars. The color of braid, ornament and the metal in the cap changes depending who has it. I'm concerned because I got one as a gift for someone else, since my healer witch can't wield one..heh. I'm hoping it is random and doesn't signify "original owner" and "unoriginal owner".

">I believe there is an Elanthian equavaliant of a zodiac, but my character at least does not have a birthday set, so no idea how that would work.

Asmodea Drey'Haus">

I can't remember if I ever picked a birthday or not..but..IF this is a factor..it could be that if you have no birthday set already there is a specific setting for that as well. A default or whatever..for everyone with no birthday picked already.

>"I'm not sure why I keep getting the exact same katana details for all the new characters (read: delete and create) though. It's really rather odd. Hopefully some light will be shed on the subject.

Meanwhile, I think my warrior might just deal with silver/stars/copper for now.">

I'm wondering if it isn't maybe an account thing at this point? Has anyone tried to get multiple katanas on the same account..and if so..are they all the same? Hmm. I was thinking it was random before, but now..I dunno.

Athena

Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 03:39 AM CDT
OH!

I almost forgot..something else interesting I had happen when I looked at her katana. I weighed mine when I got it..repeatedly. It came up with the same weight..over and over. She did the same thing with hers. Always the same consistent weight. She passed hers to me to look at and suddenly it had a fluctuating weight that was at least one pound higher than it was before. ( I weighed it a LOT after that and the weight never went down to the original weight I got.) Gave it back to her and it was fluctuating for her now too. I'm wondering if this is a bug or what is going on here, but it was definitely strange. Maybe they are tweaking something?

Athena

Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 07:10 AM CDT
<< I'm wondering if it isn't maybe an account thing at this point? Has anyone tried to get multiple katanas on the same account..and if so..are they all the same? Hmm. I was thinking it was random before, but now..I dunno. >>

Perhaps, but I doubt it. My other characters all have different significantly different details.

--

Visit Selandriel's Emporium in Wehnimer's Landing's East Row! Find the brownstone store with a gabled roof at the east end of Fel Road!
Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 08:15 AM CDT
>I'm not sure why I keep getting the exact same katana details for all the new characters (read: delete and create) though. It's really rather odd. Hopefully some light will be shed on the subject.

If you've rerolled the various characters in the same slot, that makes me think that the description is tied to the character slot in much the same way that elemental attunement used to be.
Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 09:25 AM CDT
<< If you've rerolled the various characters in the same slot, that makes me think that the description is tied to the character slot in much the same way that elemental attunement used to be. >>

It is. I tested a 'reroll' first thing. Katana didn't change. I've come to the conclusion that a character's katana details depend on when that character was created. The ornaments I'm getting on new characters match the current constalation in influence in-game, the Sun God. I have a feeling that anyone who makes a character today will get silver/stars/copper. I'm going to try after midnight, and see if day plays a part in wrap/cap detail.

--

Re: Katana quest time limit 08/25/2004 01:03 PM CDT
http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=9&topic=1&message=27

Quest will be around indefinately.
Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 01:08 PM CDT
A character in the same character slot rerolled alot will keep much of the same internal identifiers. I rerolled characters during the time the butterfly charms were being given out, and kept getting the same colors from it. If anything, I would say that a rerolled character having the same features in a katana would support my belief that it's using the same id stuff the butterfly charms used.

The issue with the show being a script makes me wonder if they're able to be altered though.

Asmodea Drey'Haus
Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 01:44 PM CDT
>The issue with the show being a script makes me wonder if they're able to be altered though.

They're alterable.
Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 01:47 PM CDT
Hah, now we know your listening Elnath! Big mistake! Now comment on if these are supposed to be attuned, or if it's a bug that anyone is able to use anyone else's and that it's going to be fixed! People already wanting to buy/sell them is a good indication someone should at least comment on it.

Asmodea Drey'Haus
Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 01:51 PM CDT
The attunement aspect was dropped when the decision was made to sell katanas 'off the shelf' in a shop. Still one per character, no other limitations.

Feel free to buy or sell them, I suspect there won't be much of a market by this time next week (at the rate they're entering the game).

The description-changing thing is a bug, on the list to be changed.

Did I miss any Qs?
Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 01:54 PM CDT
>the decision was made to sell katanas 'off the shelf' in a shop. Still one per character, no other limitations.

Err.... Sell katanas off the shelf? Magic metal or just normal or what? Is the one per character a limitation of just the quest? Or will it apply to the shelf ones too?

Asmodea Drey'Haus
Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 01:57 PM CDT
Off the shelf ones are from the Erithian weaponsmith right? If magic metals are allowed, would it be possible to do a sort of trade type deal. You know give them our quest katana and have them somehow add the magical metal or properties to it? That would basically rock.

- Chris

Nobody thinks about vertical line test when riding motorcycle.
Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 01:58 PM CDT
Sorry, one KQuest katana per customer (phraseology was a little backwards there).
Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 02:00 PM CDT
I still want more details on this shelf thing! When is this? I want to get an altered pair of katana/wakizashi and alter my daisho harness to match, but the wakizashi and the harness will depend on the katana, and the katana depends on what it's made out of!
Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 02:04 PM CDT

> and the katana depends on what it's made out of

Do you really think heavily crit-weighted enchanted weapons are going to be sold off the shelf?

I thought not.

Avaia, player of

> A Vvrael witch moans, the tones intimating a poignant longing, carrying whispers of death with its possibility of bliss and eternal understanding.

Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 02:18 PM CDT
>Do you really think heavily crit-weighted enchanted weapons are going to be sold off the shelf?
>I thought not.

Oh Id highly doubt it.

Still, I will be happy to see unweighted katanas out there and readily available. The DFs and speed of the weapon are pretty nice. Im more interested in getting blessable enchanted versions than I am in crit weighted (even magical)ones.

Crit weighting is just not as powerful as it used to be and AS is pretty darn important. Most of the time as a two hander Im at the mercy of the crit randomizer anyway, where weighting makes no difference. If the enemy is in heavy enough armor to resist a two hander's dfs. I want a maul or mattock on him anyway.

By way of wish list, If we start seeing merchants with flaring enchanted Katanas, I might be tempted enough to wpsec that base instead of flamberge.

Landrion/Katryn
Re: Katana question 08/25/2004 02:30 PM CDT
The word ala GS radio was that store sold katanas would be new style (weighted two-handers) and be sold up to vultite. They didn't specifically state that they would also be sold in mithril/ora/imflass/glaes/mithglin, but I imagine a few of those metals will be available as well.

Menos
Prev_page Previous 1