Re: Tailoring 12/26/2010 10:24 AM CST
I would love to see a tailoring/weaving artesian skill implemented.

Tools could include and not limited to

a spinning wheel
a loom
actual needles used to sew with not just pierce or poison with.
(notes on needles, the will actually stab your finger unless you have a thimble)
thimble
and tomes for patterns

Materials:

Things for thread:
You would spin

rolton wool
spider webbing for silk
hemp
ect ect ect

Once the thread is spun, you have to combine these threads together using a loom to make a usuable piece of cloth.
Using a combination of threads will give you various types of cloths

example of this might be
using thin web thread with cotton thread to make maribus material on the loom.
Loom commands would have to be puzzles of pushes and pulls with under and over.
Finding these combinations to different materials will make a true artesian.

So in a nut shell:
You spin things into thread on a spinning wheel, then take your thread to a loom to make material. Different combinations make up your various materials just like different substances made up the threads.

Once the material is made, you have to know the pattern of something to make, similar to the cobbling system already installed.

Special designs could be learned via merchants and placed in a book so you can do that design anytime it was required.
I am not familiar with the cobbling system in all fairness, just assuming the design aspect would be able to work similar.

This would also ease up on Merchant demand and make true designers/seamstress/tailors in game

Sooooo when can I expect to this implemented?
Re: Tailoring 08/31/2012 10:26 PM CDT
<<I would love to see a tailoring/weaving artesian skill implemented.>>

As would I, but doesn't weaving already exist? It is possible to weave hair circlets with flowers or other forageables, beads, skins and gems into hair accessories.

I also do really love the idea of weaving with a loom. Can knitting be incorporated into the weaving artisan skill? I know it is possible to knit some things, but maybe by adding it into a skill system, it would become possible for a character to advance in ranks as you practice different knit weaves. It would work much like the real life application: start off with the basics and as you gain talent at the lower ranks, you move up the ranks and learn new weave patterns at different levels.

<<This would also ease up on Merchant demand and make true designers/seamstress/tailors in game>>

I love the thought of this. Great idea!

Besides, weaving should have its very own folder in this forum.

)O( Mikaela )O( -- real life weaver/crocheter

The plain note reads, "Fishing without Asenora is like not fishing at all."
Re: Tailoring 08/31/2012 10:53 PM CDT
<<As would I, but doesn't weaving already exist? It is possible to weave hair circlets with flowers or other forageables, beads, skins and gems into hair accessories.>>

The weaving you're thinking of is not an artisan skill, but a system that only works with certain items. There is no way to weave cloth, for example.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Tailoring 09/01/2012 07:07 AM CDT
Crochet does. You can make shirts and stuff.

~James
Player of Septimius
Re: Tailoring 09/01/2012 09:47 PM CDT
While that is true about crocheting, does it exist in Elanthia in addition to knittng? I only knew one person who did knitting on any sort of regular basis, and she is no longer around. Does the character's skill go up as you knit different patterns, or does the character automatically "know" a pattern as soon as he/she picks up a pair of knitting needles?

Furthermore...would crocheting be considered weaving? It's certainly not weaving in the traditional loom manner. But...the whole idea of making yarn as a basic skill necessity would cover all different types of fiber working.

)O( Mikaela )O(

Re: Tailoring 09/01/2012 10:08 PM CDT
Knitting is also not an artisan skill. It's inherent in the needles used to make them. Needles and yarn for knitting can be purchased on FWI, and each set of needles will make a specific item.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Tailoring 09/02/2012 07:42 AM CDT
There is an EG auction item I won and passed to a friend of mine that sort of tailors with skins and such. Since my friend won't ever sell it, I'm mainly just posting to say some of the code is already in place.

-farmer
Re: Tailoring 09/02/2012 01:56 PM CDT
<<Knitting is also not an artisan skill.>>

It may not be so in Elanthia, but knitting is certainly an artisan skill. Knitters are artisans. Crocheters are artisans. Weavers are artisans.

Which brings up the question, "Would all three skills be combined into one Weaving artisan skill system, or should each become its own system?" I guess that would require you to look at the definition of each fiber process.

<<...I'm mainly just posting to say some of the code is already in place.>>

So then it wouldn't be so hard to make that into a separate skill system, theoretically. Tailors should be able to work with materials made with the Weaving skill system (if it ever gets implemented) and/or other fiber skills (knitting and crocheting).

)O( Mikaela )O(

Re: Tailoring 09/02/2012 03:05 PM CDT
I think it would be neat to have under the artisan guild system of skills. I agree with you, it is very much the skill of an Artisan.

~James
Player of Septimius
Re: Tailoring 05/23/2016 07:19 PM CDT

I second this. I was talking to a GH not long ago about this and I'd like to see the spinning and weaving implemented.
Re: Tailoring 05/24/2016 01:55 PM CDT

... SO much fun! I would craft for this :)