Failure 04/14/2017 08:13 AM CDT
Ok, maybe my brain's just numb from spending hours watching my script train me in forging (I've come to the conclusion the devil has a special spot for whoever made the decision on the RTs for that), but it feels like I'm more likely to get a rank in artisan skills on a failure then on a success. Is there any truth to that or am I just losing my mind?

I had the same thoughts when each of two other characters were working their way through fletching (yea, I know... I don't have an answer for why I keep putting myself through this system....)

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Failure 04/14/2017 10:27 AM CDT
Each attempt has a hidden roll (but we already knew this) and probably some kind of hidden success/failure roll attached to it up to a point until you're mastered or high enough ranks where you don't benefit from a failed attempt.

If you're just starting out or still early in learning the skill, it is very well possible to learn a rank on a failure - I've done this a handful of times.

.....think if it as how the spell 915 (Weapon Fire) works. I could run around a low level hunting area with my mage and easily ward any creature, but there's also the extra failure tacked onto the spell. Even if I ward a target, there's still a chance for the spell to fail. While I am successful at casting the spell, I somehow still suck just enough that the spell doesn't actually function.

Just like with forging/crafting - you've got some skill, but you still suck just enough that if you fail you can still learn something (that is until you at least get high enough in ranks or master).

And to answer your question, "Is there any truth to that or am I just losing my mind?" - you're just losing your mind like the rest of us that went through these artisan skills.

-Drumpel
Re: Failure 04/14/2017 11:09 AM CDT

You don't have to be crazy to do artisan skills.

The artisan guildmasters will teach you how to be.
Re: Failure 04/14/2017 01:28 PM CDT
I felt that same way about learning more often from failures with cobbling. It would make sense to me to learn from mistakes when your character can think back on what went wrong, but whether it's actually in the game or only perception... I don't know.
Re: Failure 04/14/2017 06:18 PM CDT
https://youtu.be/LstIgtkEe50?t=20

You're welcome.

Speaking in Faendryl, Jahosk says, "You will now be known as Blade Durakar, the Palestra."